SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Removing cigarette smell from fabrics ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Removing cigarette smell from fabrics
Is it even possible?
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 2:26 PM

A friend of mine gave me a homemade quilt she wasn't using anymore -- not fancy, but it's nice and warm, and I plan to use it as my cool-weather cover-up in the living room. But my friend is a smoker, so there's a cigarette smell to it... I'm not sure it's even possible to get this smell out. I still have books and cloth items from my childhood home that smell like "my mother's house" (i.e. like cigarette smoke).

Is there anything that might help? I don't know if the quilt is washable -- it seemed a bit rude to ask.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 2:46 PM

I, and my DH, smoke, and I place a half cup of vinegar into the washing machine when I wash clothes. Not only does it get residue from soap and nicotine out, but the clothes smell (to other people) smoke free.

I do not know about quilts, since I don't do it. I know I wash my clothes like that and it hasn't hurt them. YMMV.

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
GA USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 3:39 PM

I have a longarm, and have received quilt tops from a very dear friend who lives in a house with her hubby who smokes. Get a thick garbage bag, 2 bars of Irish Spring Soap, put the quilt in there and the 2 bars of soap and tie it shut *dont use the drawstrings*. Let it sit for about 2 weeks and it will remove the smoke smell. Febreeze will only cover the odor, this will remove it completely.

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 3:46 PM

I wash the quilt on my bed every week due to allergies and golden retriever fur floating around. I use regular liquid detergent, unscented with no additives. I use vinegar or softener to remove hard water deposits.

If it has never been washed before and has cotton batting, it will get that antiqued crinkle look.

------
Elizabeth

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan

Date: 1/26/12 4:19 PM

Possibly washing it in Nature's Miracle should help. It helps a lot of other things. I use it for the dogs when they have accidents, or get sick. Especially on the bedspread. Gets rid of the smell. I think you might have to do it a few times, but it should be gone for good.

Vinager might also do the trick. I just do not know.

Ask if the quilt is washable. It most likely is. It might shrink if the fabric is not preshrunk.

I do not know if a dry cleaner can get the smoke smell out or not. Is the fabric Yellowed from smoke or does it just smell bad?

-- Edited on 1/26/12 4:20 PM --

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 5:34 PM

Thanks, everyone!! These replies are all very helpful. I suppose I could ask her, "Is it washable, just in case I spill coffee on it or something?" so that it doesn't come off sounding like I'm dissing it, or her.

I may need to stop posting things about this friend at some point, lol... she's an enthusiastic "returning" sewer, so it's only a matter of time before she finds her way over here.

-- Edited on 1/26/12 5:35 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 8:51 PM

I would ask her if it is washable - if it is, try the vinegar. If that doesn't work I believe Norwex makes a product that helps get smells out of things.

If you can't wash it - maybe get it dry cleaned.

My Mom was a mega-powerhouse smoker. When she died I took a blanket she had that reminded me of our last visit together. I had to wash it about 10 times before the smell left. Never did try the vinegar though or the Norwex.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 1/27/12 7:24 AM

Does this work for musty fabrics too?
I often find gramma stashes at garage/antique sales, fun vintage
fabrics that have been stored a long time.

no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
NJ USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 1/27/12 11:54 AM

It also works on musty smells. Did you ever leave the wash in the washer a little too long in the summer? Just do a rinse with white vinegar it removes the smell Works like a charm!

Nora :)

------
Nora :)

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 1/27/12 12:46 PM

I find quilting fabrics at garage sales now and then and they have that "stored a long time" smell to them. Never thought about vinegar in the washer and many washes.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Removing cigarette smell from fabrics

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 1315

photo
by: penelopey4

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.