SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > I need a new home page ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I need a new home page
MSN is making me cranky
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 7:54 PM

OK - I have had a tough week. Work has been nuts. so maybe that is part of the trouble. But I fire up the computer to my homepage - MSN and all I get are "new" diet tips, celebrity nonsense and sports scores.

I don't want to go to an all news page such as CBC because they are just too busy and have a lot of things flashing and frankly, too much hard news. I know I am sounding fussy, but I am tired....

I could do a totally non-news page such as our wonderful PR, but that doesn't quite fit the bill, either.

Any suggestions for a page that has the main headlines, maybe the local weather and maybe something light that isn't (excuse me animal lovers) video of someone's cat/dog/gerbil doing something stupid?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Sweetsong

Sweetsong
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 12/26/05
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 1/26/12 8:02 PM

www.refdesk.com is my home page. It has EVERYTHING. The weather is off to the side on the right.

Mandolin82
star
Mandolin82  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 5/8/03
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 10:41 PM

I just switched to Google, which you can configure to have as little, or as much, as you want. I got sick of Yahoo, which I had used for years. So far I'm happy, but I didn't do any research, just thought I'd give it a try.

Susan

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 10:53 PM

I use the weather.com 10-day forecast page for my locality, which I always need to check first thing in the morning, is customizable, and rarely has any movement on the page.

However, sounds like you want something more than the weather. My husband uses the homepage of our local paper. This is a small town, so the website doesn't sport videos or obnoxious ads - just local news, really, and a sidebar with national and international headlines. Would a local news site work for you? (Print, not TV -- those TV sites are often some of the worst.)

------
marjoriekh

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
NSW
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 1/28/12 0:49 AM

My home page is blank. A bit like my mind sometimes.

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Janome DC2101, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/28/12 1:31 AM

I like a nice clean blank home page. I do not need junk cluttering up the screen when I turn on the computer.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 1/28/12 9:14 AM

I like RefDesk. If I can't spell a word, or don't know the meaning, it has a dictionary. If I want to read the news--local or worldwide, it has a link to news. You can find just about anything on Refdesk.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

crankyoldlady
crankyoldlady
Intermediate
Member since 11/14/08
Send Message

Date: 1/28/12 10:31 PM

My home page is www.ixquick.com

It is also my browser. It does not track searches and store information about its users as goo**e does.

bethlucas
bethlucas
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/17/11
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 5:48 PM

I second the recommendation for Google (or iGoogle). It's easy to customize, and you can get quite a mix of things, including a little bit of your calendar or email, games, weather, news, factoids, etc.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 1/29/12 11:04 PM

Google.ca is a nice, calm home page. You can access news from it, but you get to choose whether to go to news or not -- nothing flashing in your face.

-- Edited on 1/29/12 11:08 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> I need a new home page

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

More Knits
More Knits

Register

Vogue Patterns 1299

photo
by: Kristine K...

Review
Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.