SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Meet Helen V - My new (to me) sewing machine :D ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Meet Helen V - My new (to me) sewing machine :D
Baby lock 1550 Companion
jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 1/26/12 11:42 PM

Okay, real quick since I need to go to bed and one of my hands is out of commission so I'm typing 1.5 handed, but my beau's father (a quilter himself) gave me a Baby Lock 1550 Companion!!!!

I've been trying her out all night after having cleaned her and oiled her up. OMG sewing is going to be fun now!!!

I'll have her story, pictures, and video tomorrow by updating this thread. I'm beat and need to go to bed right now but I wanted to share my gift with you before I nod off.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/27/12 8:37 AM

Hmmm. is that the PINK companion. I am so happy you have a machine again to sew on. Thats great news. Even I slept better knowing that.
Sorry about your hand.. hope its better soon.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/27/12 9:51 AM

Ahhh...............happiness and joy, for you and with you.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
- John Wayne

Boy does that sound like you and your machine journey.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/27/12 10:32 AM

Now THAT is a nice machine! I bought one and then rehomed it to a good friend who loves it! Sturdy, excellent stitches. Lighting could be better. Low shank attachments of the generic sort fit, and it can be self-maintained. I have a PDF manual that I can share if you do not have a manual. This machine is the same as a Simplicity model, and I obtained the manual from Simplicity before they got rid of their sewing machine parts area of the website. Babylock had given me a head's up about the Simplicity line of machines being the same.

I think I did put a picture here on my review. Yup - there's a link. You will like your new machine!

m:)Babylock 1550

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 1/27/12 11:47 AM

Okay! Pictures and her story! :D

As I've mentioned before, my beau told me his father had an old Singer sewing machine that was gifted to him when he got married. I had asked about it, hoping it was one of the Slant-o-matic ones. The beau, here on in referred to as "C," said he'd ask, but he can't promise anything because it was a gift to his parents and they never give away gifts. (Not entirely true, his mom regifted some embroidered cloth napkins to me just this past Christmas. )

Yesterday C had to go to his parents house. Now, I was NOT expecting anything at all. He got home before I did so he was able to just leave it there on my desk. And when I got home I was surprised to see the Baby Lock there. (I was also surprised to see it was a Baby Lock.)

So the story goes that there was this woman at C's father's church, Miss Helen Velaneski, that he'd help do quilting and piecing. When she passed on he got her sewing machine. This Baby Lock. So when C asked about sewing machines, his father gave me the Baby Lock. The only thing tho, I had to say a small prayer for Helen (ok, moment of silence please ... .... ....). Okay! So! When I called C's father to thank him I told him I was going to name the machine in honor of her and that I'd say a little prayer for her. He was highly amused by that.

After a thorough clean up and some oil, she was good to go.

Many of you know all the trial and error I've had with the Singer, and how ultimately I decided to give up on it. I made a video (below) of the Baby Lock with the stitch settings to compare.

Now for the pictures! Some of the trial stitching I did was right next to the Singer stitches so I could see them side by side.

Yes, Miss Poorpigling, she is the PINK Companion!
Baby Lock 1550 Companion - as I found her on my desk when I walked into my office.

Range of stitches

Bottom stitch - eReader cover experiment. - note: NO BIRD NESTING! And look at that reverse stitch, LOOK. AT. IT. It's BEAUTIFUL, and directly over the first stitch.

FME / FMQ experimenting with the satin stitching and the regular straight stitch. There was NO bird nesting, and you can CLEARLY see that now it is up to the sewer to practice to get it to look good.

Quilting ... ? Not sure what to call it. This is a fabric sandwich of micro suede, thin layer of batting, and fleece underneath for a dog coat idea. White stitches are the singer, black is the baby lock. The singer stitches actually look good here, but with the baby lock, I didn't have a fear that the thread would bird nest and ruin the project. IMO, this is very important in sewing. While I could get the Singer to work, it was a chore and I did have fear that the tension would just get off some how and there'd be a bunch of bunched up thread.

The Baby Lock in action - Now, for video. I stitched the same settings as I did with the Singer, and right next to those stitches on the fabric. BTW, ignore the make-shift stint on my hand. I had cut my index finger knuckle as trying to prevent myself from bending it too much so it could heal. The worst part? I'm LEFT HANDED! d'oh!

The only presser foot on the machine was, what I believe to be, a quilting presser foot. Makes sense since the original owner used it for quilting. I didn't see any regular or zig zag presser feet in the storage bin for the sewing machine either.

Mufffet, so it was very much thanks to your review of the 1550 I found last night that I decided to try the shank from the Singer and see if it would fit on the Baby Lock. It did! IT DID!!!! Since the Baby Lock didn't have any regular presser feet with it this means I can use all the presser feet from my Singer on it now. yay!!!!

BTW, I would greatly appreciate the PDF of the manual if you do have it. C's father has misplaced the book manual and will be getting it to me when he can. In the mean time, he went ahead and gave me the machine.Fortunately, the threading diagram on the machine was so easy I was able to thread it just fine without the manual, even though I have found a threading diagram online. Would you mind sending me either a PM or your email address and I'll respond in kind? I plan on joining PR, but this pay period is a bit tight for me right now.

Also, interestingly, because of my experience with cleaning and oiling the Singer, I was able to find out how to open the Baby Lock to clean and where to oil it. She's a SMOOOOOOOTH operator now!

So, I sit here at work with, literally, nothing to do wishing I could be home sewing. Oh, I also told C's father I'll show him my first piece with it. He's anxious to see it. What he doesn't know is it will be a gift to him in thanks and will be an eReader cover for his eReader. BTW, I think it also helps that I had volunteered to make his daughter, C's sister, her costume for the Dallas Santa Rampage this past Christmas. So I'm sure I'll be making more costumes. (Which reminds me, I need to get pattern reviews up....)

-- Edited on 1/27/12 11:50 AM --
-- Edited on 1/27/12 11:50 AM --

------

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 1/27/12 12:11 PM

Quote: a7yrstitch
Ahhh...............happiness and joy, for you and with you.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

- John Wayne

Boy does that sound like you and your machine journey.

Very nice quote. I'm sharing it on my FB page. :)

------

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/27/12 12:25 PM

Oh that is a pretty sm & nice sewer too.
Congratulations!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/27/12 12:43 PM

The pink sitiching was the Singer? On the back side, several nasty thread nests. I watched the video, but my laptop has no sound for some reason, so I only got to watch you sew and not hear you talk.

The blue stitching was the BL, correct? Lovely and even better on the back side of the fabric. It was so clean looking on the back side.

I am thrilled for you. What a great machine.

Learn

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 1/27/12 12:52 PM

Quote: Learn To Sew
The pink sitiching was the Singer? On the back side, several nasty thread nests. I watched the video, but my laptop has no sound for some reason, so I only got to watch you sew and not hear you talk.

The blue stitching was the BL, correct? Lovely and even better on the back side of the fabric. It was so clean looking on the back side.

I am thrilled for you. What a great machine.

Learn

Yes, Learn to Sew. The pink stitching is the Singer, blue is the Baby Lock.

I can certainly tell a difference and feel the difference. I even feel the difference as the machine sews. Interestingly, I think the Baby Lock is older than the Singer!

------

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 1/27/12 7:05 PM

So happy for you! That is just great! Happy sewing again!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Meet Helen V - My new (to me) sewing machine :D

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

No Pattern Used 8819

photo
by: Sew Passio...

Review
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Buy Now
SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern

SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 1257

photo
by: Naehfreund...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.