SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > (the OPPOSITE of swatch MATCHING...) ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
(the OPPOSITE of swatch MATCHING...)
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 1/28/12 11:15 AM

If you have made some kind of sewing mistake recently, this should make you feel a lot better.

I have a khaki green raincoat that I kinda hate. So I get this gift certificate from Mood and a picture of a Stella McCartney coat that I want to copy. I find this Ralph Rucci water resistant fabric that has a gorgeous hand to it: some body but the surface finish is almost buttery. I match the color to the print out I have of the McCartney coat and blow A TON OF DOUGH on 3 yards.

I take it home and...

... I tell you, it is the SAME EXACT KHAKI GREEN as the raincoat I already have.

Am I out of my mind, or whut? Okay, so now, when I go fabric shopping, I have to take swatches of the fabric I DON'T want to match.

Have I used enough miserable icons? Me sad.

j.

-- Edited on 1/28/12 11:22 AM --

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 1/28/12 11:54 AM

That's kind of eerie: to have a powerful, expensive, subconscious attraction to a khaki green you find repellant. You have my sympathy, I think.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 1/28/12 11:55 AM

yep...I do the same thing with a few colors. they look so right when paired with a print but alone? not so much

Perhaps you could put this up for sale on PR classifieds.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 1/28/12 11:58 AM

Totally freaky. The McCartney coat pairs it with a bold wool buffalo print vest so I'll carry on with it. But it is a TOTAL HEADBANGER
j.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 1/28/12 12:30 PM

You must have liked the color somewhat.. so maybe its the design of the coat you already have you don't like. Maybe you will love it done up in the new design.. Or. .if it is the color..don't even bother.. just resell it.. Some people are green people .. some people are PINK..
Its better than buying a bunch of fabric.. holding it for l0 years in your stash till its totally out of date.. not that I have even done that of course.. that is.. I am not sure.. having so much stash out in the sheds where I don't have to look and confirm it may be true..

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 1/28/12 1:45 PM

I think greens are tough! I love green, so when I find a fabric in a pretty green, I grab it. Last grab without thinking, exactly matched a shirt I do not wear...a co worker told I looked like a park ranger! I've kept my mouth shut about her clothes, but both the fabric and the shirt are now at the local thrift donation bin!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to jannw

Date: 1/28/12 3:04 PM

Doggygirl is a park ranger.. but I think she wears beige colors..

And btw.. I pay some big bucks to buy Cabelas clothes which I am sure pretty much resembles the great outdoor look. I think its really the time of year which colors are in.. greens, browns and such look great in the fall and winter.. but not so much in summer perhaps. Hate to generalize.. as there are always exception..

I guess when you're a pig. looking like a park ranger is a step up from looking like I live on a farm.. Of course I would like to think I look fabulous no matter what I wear..

Tom P
star
Tom P  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 3/16/07
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 1/28/12 5:22 PM

I worry about the lights in fabric stores sometimes. Those fluorescents can be overly cool and harsh. Especially with greens, I can see how the colors might be a little distorted. This would be hard at Mood, but a lot of the time I'll try to carry the bolt up toward a window so I can get some natural light on the fabric to make my decision.

When I'm trying to coordinate ribbing, or pocketing, or lining (or whatever), I try to do it during the day so I can use some sunlight on it. That's also a good reason to always pick a right side to your piece of fabric and a nap, arbitrarily if you can't see a difference. You never know when your fabric might turn out to have one under different light.

As an aside, my wife knitted me a mohair scarf that is the strangest thing. Under sunlight or incandescent light, it's a reddish coppery brown. Under FL or even CFL lighting, it's GREEN. I swear to god, it doesn't even look like the same scarf.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Tom P

Date: 1/28/12 5:28 PM

You're right, Tom. It looked more chocolatey in the store.

In the dimly-lit store.

In the dark caverns of the dimly-lit store.

[insert primal whine here]

True story: I'd never been to Mood (I'm a Paron's girl) so I didn't know it was on the third floor. Anyhow, this is last Tuesday. I'm walking down 38th Street with a swatch of red mohair in my hand, reading building numbers, and a BUM says to me, "You lookin' for Mood?"

Totally cracked me up! I asked him if it was the swatch that gave me away.

He said Yeah.

N'Yawk. Great freakin' town.

j.

-- Edited on 1/28/12 6:15 PM --

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to jannw

Date: 1/28/12 5:33 PM

Quote: jannw
I think greens are tough!

Quote: jannw
Especially with greens, I can see how the colors might be a little distorted.

Boy, isn't that the truth! I remember trying to pick some green silk dupioni for a project. I had multiple swatches, and kept trying to post pictures on my blog. No matter what I did, I could NOT get them to photograph accurately! And the green I eventually chose... it's hopeless. It won't photograph green at all. No matter the light or the camera or the background or other colors in the photograph with it... it insists on coming out silver! (IRL, it's just a nice normal medium green, maybe with a *touch* of spruce or forest.)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> (the OPPOSITE of swatch MATCHING...)

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Silhouette Patterns 95

photo
by: Terri A

Review
SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

More Info
Chelsea

Chelsea

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.