SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Red dress pattern suggestions

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Red dress pattern suggestions
Need ideas for busty/booty full
GlynisA
GlynisA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/10
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 3:34 AM

I would love to join the red dress contest, it would be my first ever. I haven't even done a pattern review yet. I have been struggling with fit these days so a little frustrated .. I am full figured, 5'9, 46 bust (41 high bust), 36/37 waist, 46 hips. Any dress patterns suggestions suitable to curves like these?

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 8:37 AM

Well, what kind of fabric do you prefer to work with? Wovens knits? Is there a favorite style you have, something your missing in your wardrobe or something you have always wanted to make? What kind of occasion: dress, casual?

LOL I can get you all kinds of suggestions if I can get a starting point!

annie11
starstarstarstar
annie11
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 3/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 10:29 AM

Your measurements are similar to my daughters' and she looks great in anything with waist definition to highlight her curves. She looked particularly great in Vogue 8615 .

This one has the multiple cup sizes so it makes it easier to fit a full bust. I can totally see this one in red!

------
http://sewbabynews.blogspot.com/

GlynisA
GlynisA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/10
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 1:44 PM

I guess some more clarification would help. I would like it to be a dress I could wear to work, prefer a knit or even a woven with a good amount of stretch in it. Nothing with too many gathers around the waist as it is not flattering to the hip /buttocks. (they be big enough without any extra fabric on them).

GlynisA
GlynisA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/10
Send Message

In reply to annie11

Date: 1/29/12 1:47 PM

Does the final product look less 'big' in the skirt? I like the lines but am concerned about all the fabric around the hips. Did you fit this to her high bust measurement first? These 'girls' are a real pain in the butt for fitting!

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 2:07 PM

Vogue 1285
V1254
V1257

Each of these are going to add definition somewhat to the waist (we have similar measurements), and all of them fit the work wear while still being interesting, to me at least.

Not your thing? I can come up with more!

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 5:45 PM

The gang over in the Plus forum has been raving about the Vogue 8379 knit wrap dress:

I think the long-sleeved version is especially cute.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue

Date: 1/29/12 5:59 PM

I agree on this dress being flattering to a curvy figure.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

GlynisA
GlynisA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/10
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue

Date: 1/29/12 9:42 PM

I do like that long sleeve version. Funny enough I have that pattern noted in my 'notes' section of my handy iphone but I did not have a picture. I could not remember what it looked like when I was in the fabric store today and could not find it paging through the pattern books. I couldn't be bothered to stand in the long cash line to ask the girl to pull a pattern for me that I wasn't sure I wanted or not. gahhhh I miss the self serve patterns! phooey to the pattern thieves that caused this!

I did end up buying a cute simplicity pattern for 1.99 I found in a clearance bin, it was a project runway pattern #2550.. (I'll see if I can find a link) I found some clearance fabric for 1.5 /m in quite a lovely navy that should work nicely for a muslin. Fingers crossed it will be a wearable muslin.....

GlynisA
GlynisA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/10
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 9:45 PM

Lets see if this works for me...

'http://www.simplicity.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=2550&x=48&y=10' target='_blank'>pretty red dress

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Red dress pattern suggestions

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.