SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Suggestion for purse fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Suggestion for purse fabric
NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 3:56 AM

I'm working on Nicole Mallalieu's Panel shoulder bag. The pattern says that you can use a wide range of fabrics from wool and leather to quilting weight cotton fabrics. My question is what fabric will make it look less homemade?

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 9:43 AM

Both The Sewing Workshop (sewingworkshop.com) and Marcy Tilton (marcytilton.com) sell fabrics specifically for bags that aren't likely to look like they were made from craft store fabrics. Looking at their sites might give you some good ideas even if you don't buy from them. Check out some of Marcy's tutorials and closet info too. Sometimes rainwear fabrics work well (light weight, hard wearng, etc). Also watch Emma One Sock (emmaonesock.com) and Marcy's remnant listings to save a bit of money on your purchase. Hope this helps.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 1/29/12 12:33 PM

Bunny, from lasewist blog, makes the NICEST bags. I did a search and pasted just those posts.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 1/29/12 4:52 PM

The things that make a bag look more professional are using the right interfacing for your fabric (and wadding, if appropriate), construction and finishing techniques such as trimming seams and clipping corners, top stitching and pressing. Use good quality rings, feet, zips, etc.

------
chris

Melbourne

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
Send Message

Date: 1/31/12 2:41 PM

I think a combination of a good quality quilt fabric and interfacing are the trick. I've also seen bags made of sturdier home dec fabric which may not require interfacing.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 4:53 PM

If you look at the examples Nicole has on her website, you can see that she has made the panel bag out of lots of different fabrics. You can really use anything you want. It is not the fabric that will make it look homemade, it is poor finishing or structure. If your fabric is lightweight, follow Nikki's directions for adding structure.

I've made two Panel bags. The first is in an imitation suede, and the second in denim. And I've seen it made in lots of other fabrics. Nikki has one where she used leather for the "panel", and wool fabric for the rest of it. But it looks great in thin cotton fabrics, too, as long as you use appropriate interfacings inside. Read the pattern for all the info about that!

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 11:36 PM

I like denim and upholstery fabrics.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Sibilance7
Sibilance7
Intermediate
Member since 8/10/11
Send Message

Date: 2/2/12 9:21 PM

I make loads of bags, and to make them look more professional, I like to use home dec weight fabrics or upholstery fabrics. I haven't been as happy with bags I've made from quilter's cotton or other light fabrics.

------
My blog: www.feministstitch.com

I sew on:
Olivia, my Pfurple Pfaff Creative Performance
BabyLock Evolution

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Sibilance7

Date: 2/2/12 9:32 PM

I agree - in order to use a lighter weight cotton like quilters cotton then it needs to be quilted. And you have to like that look in a bag.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 2/3/12 3:57 PM

I disagree. I've seen (and made) nice bags out of light-weight cotton which weren't quilted. BUT they did have appropriate fused structural materials added to them.

Really it all comes down to personal taste. Use fabric you like, and use appropriate interfacings to get the stiffness or otherwise you want.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Suggestion for purse fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

McCall's 6571

photo
by: PattiinATL

Review
Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern

Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

More Info
Self Drafted Pattern 87314-1003

photo
by: piffle

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.