SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Bad haircut ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bad haircut
bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
GA USA
Member since 8/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 9:55 AM

Rant - I asked my hairdresser of 4 years about changing to a swing bob style she had just cut on previous client. She said it would work and it looked so cute. I went for trim yesterday. She said she remembered the style and no problem. I asked during the cut and reminded her that the sides were to go all the way down to chin length then angle towards the ear. She said no problem. She finished the cut and it is just short of a pixie. She cut the crown like a mullet and thinned the sides to 3 inches. It is no where near a bob. There is no angle at the sides. They were cut ear length straight across. It is the worst cut I ever received. It looks awful. It will take 6-8 months to grow back to what I had when I walked In. I
look 15 years older. I am so disappointed. I called her to say I think she got confused. She said no, it was the sae cut. When did a bob have a mullet top and thin short sides? Ho w would you all handle this?

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
GA USA
Member since 8/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 9:57 AM

I was trying to post this under rants. I think the haircut affected my thinking.

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 10:24 AM

I would not have paid, request a refund if you have and requested another stylist to try and fix the problem, if it is even possible (on their dime) or a free style/cut when it is possible in a month or so to repair some damage that she has caused. Then I would go and find a new saloon and stylist completely.

I am truly sorry that you had this happen. You likely won't get anything out of it, but I would be making such a fuss myself.

Wino
star
Wino
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/24/06
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 10:33 AM

You "called" her to complain ?! I went through this with my DS when he first started getting his hair cut at my salon. The time to complain is when you are at the shop, so that there is a chance to rectify the situation. It also helps to be paying attention during the cut to make sure things are coming out correctly. If your stylist is unable to discuss the cut with the customer during the process to produce the desired result, he/she is in the wrong field. At this point, you can seek restitution from management, have it recut to minimize the damage, or vote with your feet and change salons.

------
wino

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 10:43 AM

I had the same hairdresser for 22 years. My hair was longer and she did a wonderful job of coloring it. I have mouse brown and she turned it into a natural looking blond. (Quite foxy!) Awesome. Then as I got older my hair got to be too thin to wear that long. She cut my hair really cute at first and then all of a sudden I walked out looking like Alvin...pineapple head. The next time I went in I told her what had happened and she did a cute haircut again. Then it was Alvin again...sheesh! OK, the Alvin look is horrible and it takes forever to grow out and you look like h-- and hate yourself. A haircut is SO important!!! Then when I went in I reminded her that she has a tendency to do this "thing" to my hair and please watch out. "Oh, yes I know..." Well...there was Alvin again. (Plus she messed with the color so there were orange blotches) So, much to my regret (I am a creature of habit!) I went to a new hairdresser. He did a fabulous job! The next time the same...for a year all was just fine...then I walked in and I have no idea..he so botched my hair cut I was shocked. I mentioned that the hair color was way off and did he, by accident maybe, mix the formula wrong, as it was completely different...His reply was "WHAT!!! Don't you think I know what I am doing?" When I went home my husband even said"How can you pay $200 and look far worse than when you walked in" I had to call another hairdresser for an immediate rescue. Someone took me right away...she said I was NOT imagining it...the haircut was one of the worst she'd ever seen...she even showed me in the mirror how one side was completely different than the other. She said the color was way off for my complexion too. She said "I'll do what I can" ....I walked out with the cutest Meg Ryanish haircut you've ever seen and I have been with her ever since...! She explained to me why , if a hairdresser does not know what they are doing I end up with pineapple head...it was pretty easy to understand once she explained it. Kind of basic stuff a hairdresser should know . I feel your pain!!! Even though my new hairdresser has done a cute job...I HATE going to the hairdressers!!! But I have to...mouse brown and thin before...blond and Meg Ryan after if done right....grrrrr I was thinking I was the only one with such trouble.
BTW I have talked with this new hairdresser that we will talk about what she is doing each time and I will let her know if I do not like something. She knows! I am not there to be friends..I am there to get a service. If we can have a nice conversation while I am there great...but I need to look good...first priority. It's a business/service relationship first.
-- Edited on 1/29/12 10:56 AM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

CurlySu717
CurlySu717  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 10/26/06
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 11:48 AM

I have been very fortunate with my stylist. She's amazing and I adore her. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I tip her extremely well (and her cuts are expensive). I've only gone back once (the day after) and said, "Let's try again?" and she was great -- fixed it for free, but I still tipped her what I usually would.

It is hard to be assertive in that situation. On a similar but unrelated note, I go frequently for massages to prevent tension migraines. I've have several therapists that have *not* done what I asked. I am getting better at stopping them and saying, "This isn't what I need." But it's really hard.

------
"To love another person is to see the face of God!" ~Les Miserables

www.lillianbettyandsibyl.blogspot.com

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to CurlySu717

Date: 1/29/12 12:23 PM

Quote:
On a similar but unrelated note, I go frequently for massages to prevent tension migraines. I've have several therapists that have *not* done what I asked. I am getting better at stopping them and saying, "This isn't what I need." But it's really hard.

especially when you are naked under a sheet!

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to bluefly

Date: 1/29/12 12:34 PM

When going for a real change of style, it is really helpful to bring s photo of the cut you want, because even a good stylist may be on a different wavelength from you on any particular day. Also, the photo serves as evidence in case the cut comes out wrong.

My own stylist of more than ten years is very reliable and a genius with color, but even he occasionally has "off" days when my usual simple bob comes out just a tad different. Most recently, I learned after the fact that the poor guy had been very ill and feeling bad for several months, but like many people these days, had no health insurance and could not afford to take time off, so he concealed his illness and simply continued to work even though he was in pain.

That is probably an unusual situation, but even so, stylists must, like us, have bad days when things are difficult and they have to keep going, so the results of their work can be iffy if we do not keep a sharp eye on what they as doing and stop them if it starts to go weird. And if the weirdness gets to be a pattern, we have to vote with our feet and go somewhere else.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 12:58 PM

I will also say that sometimes it depends on where you go to, as well. For years, I went to an upscale, hip salon in the mall, and my hairdresser was a good 15 years older then I was. I followed her when she started her own place. (Age only plays a part here because I tend to wear my hair on the conservative side and this was not a place known for that.)

When she moved out of the state, I had to find a new one. I got someone younger, still at the mall, and had a bad haircut because she decided that she knew better then I did what I wanted. It's been my experience that younger stylists often want to be edgy, even if it isn't your thing, and sometimes the "off" days may be part of the trends that they want to do. My waist length hair wound up at my shoulder and it was the last time I went there largely due to the inexperience of age with the stylists not listening. YMMV.

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 1/29/12 1:50 PM

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, and so thankful for my current hair stylist (I've gone to her for 10 years). I've had bad haircuts in the past, and when I found my current hair stylist (who knows how to cut thick, wavy hair), I felt like I found "the one".

Thankfully, when she has an "off" day, she seems to err on the side of leaving my layers a touch too long--an easy fix 8 weeks later at my next appointment.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Bad haircut

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

New Look 6473

photo
by: labbiegirl...

Review

Pattern

Other Dressmaking with Liberty

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

Buy Now
Mini Miranda Bag

Mini Miranda Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.