Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > No Exam Life Insurance? need info ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
No Exam Life Insurance? need info
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 11/5/02
Login to reply to this post

Date: 1/30/12 2:27 PM

OK I am turning another year over soon and I just read about a woman younger than I, falling asleep and NOT waking up!
Being a SAHM Mom, I never got life insurance but now that I am working, I think I need it. But I haven't been in for a physical in a while (I know I know) and now have a fear of "pre-existing condidtions" not that I am "falling apart at the seams" but I AM OLDERso who knows.
So I need all the info I can get on "no-exam" life insurance. Anybody? Please?

------
Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/30/12 3:15 PM

I have Colonial Penn life insurance. Mine is only enough to pay final expenses. There is no health exam, no pre-existing condition & you can pay monthly right out of the bank. I find it is reasonable cost for me ..... being as I do have multiple red flag health issues other places charge a fortune IF they insure me at all. So it is so much per unit depending on your age & the amount never ever changes. I have 3 units. ............... also we added accidental life insurance on our car. It is $1.00 extra per month & then if either of us or both of us are killed in an accident our beneficiaries are paid $10,000.00 for each of us. .....
Colonial Penn does have a toll free number & their customer service is very good.

oops typos...
-- Edited on 1/30/12 3:16 PM --

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

pkoller
pkoller
Advanced Beginner
AR USA
Member since 1/25/10

Date: 1/30/12 3:31 PM

Before I became disabled I was an insurance agent.

First, check with your employer to see what is available. Rates through a group plan are generally better than an individual policy. You could also check with your auto insurance agent to see what they offer.

Before you sign up with any company check with your state insurance department to see what their record is. Some states have this information available online. They will be able to tell you how many complaints have been filed against the company.

Different companies have different criteria for excluding people. You may be able to pass a physical exam.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions I will be happy to help all I can.

Good luck!

Patricia

Sweetsong

Sweetsong
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 12/26/05

Date: 1/30/12 3:41 PM

Not only should you check on the reputation of the company, but make sure to check the reputation, for possible complaints, and licenses of the particular agent. (I work @ an insurance agency, but not as an agent.)

pkoller
pkoller
Advanced Beginner
AR USA
Member since 1/25/10

In reply to Sweetsong

Date: 1/30/12 3:46 PM

Very good point. As in all professions, there are a some bad apples. Make sure you do your homework.

Patricia

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/30/12 3:50 PM

If you are 50 you can also join AARP and they have one. I need one of these too. DH is always making comments that I don't have life insurance for him except the paltry one here at work for like 12K. I tell him that he won't need it if I drop dead, as he makes so much more than me he can afford the bills.
On the other hand, if he died I would need it. Thankfully he is healthier than me. I have diabetes, and wow, do they want to charge a fortune for that!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/30/12 4:07 PM

I know I am in Canada and this may not apply to you.

Here the amount of insurance you want will in part determine if you need a physical.

I was a healthy 40yo when I got my life insurance. I needed an exam (simple blood, urine, pulse, BP, weight etc) in my home, because I got an unusually high value policy. If I had got a policy under $100,000.00 I would not have needed the exam.

I also had to prove why I needed the high value policy.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08

Date: 1/30/12 5:45 PM

Check with your banks as they sometimes offer life insurance policies. If they are not large enough, you can get one each from other banks. I also got one through a credit card. The limits are low, but no exam is required, but this one did come with a premium which is $15 every three months.

We attached my life insurance with my hubby's policy. I never fully understood it, but it's sort of a rider. We are allowed to increase it without a medical exam (but then we did get it many years ago).

This might be a good time to remind everyone that in the event of your spouse's death, be certain to check for any of these policies. Full life insurance policies from your agent are obvious, but these from banks or credit card companies may be just one sheet of paper and be forgotten. (These companies are probably counting on that.)

------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate

Update: soon I will decide when I will begin procrastinating.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/30/12 7:17 PM

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that some companies won't pay the full amount if you don't have the full amount vested. My friend who passed away recently signed up for a life insurance policy that advertised $15,000 in burial expenses. When she passed, six months after she started the policy, her daughter counted on that money to get through, as my friend was a big contributor to the household income. What happened is something of a nightmare. My friend's daughter received just $700 on that insurance policy, at a time when she really needs the money.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/31/12 11:01 AM

Quote: Mrs.Moos
Being a SAHM Mom, I never got life insurance but now that I am working, I think I need it.

This comment is for SAHMs (and SAHDs) -

GET LIFE INSURANCE!!! Should something happen, I don't think there is a magic fairy that will show up to take care of everything you do now, and do it for free. At a minimum, there will be child care expenses. Even if you do have relatives and friends to step in and help out, how long are they willing/able to do so for free? If there is such a magical fairy, it must be hiding with the house-work and cooking fairies that are AWOL from my house.

edited to add - look for term life insurance. yes, once the term is over, you have nothing, but then again, whole life policies are usually not a great investment.
-- Edited on 1/31/12 11:05 AM --
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> No Exam Life Insurance? need info

Merchants on PR
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

McCall's 6203 Misses' Tunics
photo
Review by Sewmetoo on 4/10/12
Read Review

Butterick 5901 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )
Butterick 5901 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2241 Pattern ( Size 7-8-10-12-14 )
Simplicity 2241 Pattern ( Size 7-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

No Pattern Used 00
photo
Review by SassySan on 7/28/13
Read Review

Blank Slate Zippy Jacket Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Zippy Jacket Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Christine Jonson Patterns Split Hem Pant Digital Pattern
Christine Jonson Patterns Split Hem Pant Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Chloe Handbag
Chloe Handbag

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 150 Pattern
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN