SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Back on Weight Watchers...Momentum. ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Back on Weight Watchers...Momentum.
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 12:48 PM

Dieting is such a head game: Last year, after the holidays, I went on WW Momentum with fantastic results: lost a pound a week, rarely hungry. But then Passover/Easter came and I'm pigging out again. And despite the fact that it works GREAT for me, I've been having such mental resistance to starting up again.

I did online research on Points Plus: in some cases, it doesn't work well for women under 135lbs. Even the CEO finally alluded to it. This is a PAIN because, now, most of the online recipes have switched over to Points Plus!

I decided to go back to Momentum.

All comments are welcome regarding Momentum or Points Plus. What I'd like to know is: has anyone come up with a way to convert a Point Plus recipe points BACK INTO Momentum points?

I did this: I took a soup recipe: veggies, starch (whole wheat pasta), meat (93% lean ground). I figured the most troublesome ingredients were the pasta and the beef so I figured out the points values of these 2 ingredients in Points Plus AND Momentum, and found that for the beef points + the pasta points: if I multiply them by 7/8, I'd get the Momentum Points.

I know it's not super scientific, but it's better than the plan I've been on for the past 9 months which is this...

Make a pumpkin pie. Eat a pumpkin pie. Repeat.

j.

-- Edited on 2/1/12 12:50 PM --

sewbehind
star
sewbehind
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 1:21 PM

Hi. I follow the Weight Watcher boards in Canada and there have been a lot of unhappy people on the old PointsPlus. Many people were successful and some were not. It's a curious thing. They have made changes to the system, but I have not tried the new system, so can't comment. I was successful on the old Points Plus, but I wasn't satisfied.
I was a lifetimer that gained pounds when the Flex and Core program changed to Momentum. For me, I didn't like the change and find it confusing. If something works for you, why not continue using it?
I did a stint with Low Carb in the fall/winter and into the New Year. I did lose weight, but I probably didn't go low enough in carbs, nor did I want to do so. My weight stalled and I decided to go back to the Old Core program and blend it with the SFT (Simply Filling Technique) It's working excellent for me and I am feeling really good. Perhaps the Low Carb thing worked for me as I got rid of many of my sugar cravings, particularly for processed foods. I simply can't eat them anymore. Fresh fruit, yes!
I would suggest that if the Points Plus recipes have the nutritional data for them, I would get hold of an old style hand WW slide rule and calculate the points that way. Did you keep your old materials??
With the SFT, you don't have to calculate much. As long as you eat mainly Power Foods, there is little paperwork or tracking to be done and I do feel very satisfied.
HTH. Good luck.
Helen
Just for you information, I am now under the top range of my healthy BMI, hopefully I will get to my personal goal of about 12 lbs less than what I am now. I do not see any reason why not. I like what the scale is telling me every morning!
-- Edited on 2/1/12 1:23 PM --

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 2/1/12 1:25 PM

I did weight watchers points few years ago. What I don't undestand why does a woman weighing 135 needs to lose weight. It all boils down to the same thing. Eat less and better and exercise and you will lose weight and for free.
-- Edited on 2/1/12 1:25 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00

Date: 2/1/12 1:49 PM

LOL - eat and repeat!

I am a Lifetime WW member and when the new program was introduced late in December, they said that since the PointsPlus was introduced (with the free fruit) that a lot of people stopped or slowed down their weight loss. She said that each person has to figure out which fruits that their body can handle without gaining. It is a trial and error method. I know I can't eat a banana but once a week. And most people lost daily points when the new program was introduced - I lost 3 points per day. With that said, the leader told everyone that if you were losing by using the other points allowance per day - then keep using that one. I am continuing like I did before with my maint program.

I mostly use the Filling foods Technique which is whole foods - not processed. Very limited Carbs and the ones I do have are complex carbs. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta and whole wheat breads when I eat them. It has worked very well for me. The best part about the new program and people that use the etools, is that Lifetime members can get the use of etools for free if they are within their goal weight - this is a HUGE motivation factor for me.

I lost 75 pounds on WW and have kept it off this time! I first became a LT member back in 1987, but only weighed that weight for probably a day . As I've become much older and hopefully wiser - I'm able to really keep my eye on that scale.

The new pointsplus program uses Fat, Fibre, Carbs and Protein to get the points values, the old program just Points - used calories, fat and fibre. The main thing to remember is if it has a lot of fat - it better have a whole lot of fibre and if it has a lot of carbs - eat that very seldom.

Good luck to you in whatever program you choose to use.

------
Bernina 730E; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

mrsbewley
starstar
mrsbewley  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 8/14/08
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 2/1/12 4:02 PM

What weight one is comfortable at is a very individual thing. While guidelines might say that 135lbs for someone my height (5'2") is average/healthy (assuming an average/healthy BMI), I have been 135lbs and personally felt very unhealthy at that weight. Anything over 120 and I feel sluggish and flabby (even if I'm exercising regularly).

It's not really a matter of aiming for a particular number, or even "body image", it's just that I have learned that 120lbs is where I'm most comfortable in my skin. So while a woman of 135lbs might not "need" to lose weight, she might prefer to...

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 5:10 PM

It's getting so that, in order for me to zip up my pants, I have to hold my guts up under my ribcage...

j.

G_l_e_n_d_a
star
G_l_e_n_d_a
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 5/11/05
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 5:32 PM

I recently joined WW and had done it once before about 20 years ago. I was surprised to discover that it is completely different. I wonder, why do they keep changing the program when the original one worked?

Tizmehr
Tizmehr
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 2/21/11
Send Message

Date: 2/1/12 6:33 PM

I've just gone back to WW as well. I'm one of those under 135 people who isn't doing too well on the new program. This week I decided to calculate points using both methods and see how the two compare. The fruit makes quite a difference!
I did a search online & came up with an online calculator for both of the programs.
WW Calculators

sewbehind
star
sewbehind
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

In reply to Tizmehr

Date: 2/1/12 6:44 PM

I'm definitely not under 135, but I did find that there is the potential for abuse with the "free fruit" because it does all come down to calories. What we eat is important, so therefore WW is steering people towards healthier choices. If you would like to have a piece of cake, but could make do with a banana, then the banana is obviously the more healthier choice between the two.
On the Canadian boards there has been a lot of criticism about the older Points Plus program when the lowest point number was 29 right across the board. Didn't matter if you were 5'10" or 5', you still had the same 29 as the lowest. That didn't make sense to me. Obviously it takes more to fuel a taller person than a smaller one at their healthiest weight. (this did not factor in activity, as that is covered by activity points)
Before I thought that I had to follow Weight Watchers with all of their changes. Now, not so much. I will do what works for me.
Helen
-- Edited on 2/1/12 6:45 PM --

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Tizmehr

Date: 2/1/12 7:15 PM

Tiz,

It's called "The Problem of 29" and you can find an explanation by searching that phrase. The Points Plus program assigns a minimum of 29 points and it won't go below that even if your personal specs indicate that it should. So for some women who calculated 29 daily points -- it's too much food. WW is now saying, "Okay, if you are a woman and you calculate to 29 daily points, you can drop that by 3 points if you want to lose more weight.

j.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Back on Weight Watchers...Momentum.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

brerrabbit.com Sew Fearless Pajama Eater

photo
by: khurtdvm

Review
Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.