SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Inklingo ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Inklingo
Has anyone tried it?
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/6/12 10:42 PM

I was wondering about this product... apparently it is an accurate way to piece blocks. The template is printed on the wrong side of the fabric. and makes it easy to piece because you can easily see and sew along the seam line. Almost like triangle paper with out the paper. I guess the idea is that you iron your fabric onto freezer paper and send it through the printer, then cut the shapes apart. But since the shapes are printed, cutting them apart is more accurate. I suppose not all fabric colors would work because one has to be able to see the printed template on the wrong side. It also sounds like you can purchase shapes or groups of shapes without having to invest an arm and a leg in a whole package software like EQ. I still can't bring myself to spend nearly $200 on that. But the Inklingo is affordable. Very curious!

Inklingo
-- Edited on 2/6/12 10:43 PM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 2/7/12 12:36 PM

I'm trying to see the need for this. I mean if you have good rulers, and a good 1/4" foot why would you need this? It seems would take a lot more time then just cutting with a rotary cutter and a ruler Granted I don't use templates and do most of my quilts with paper piecing or strip quilting. Also you would have to cut up your fabric in 8 by 11.5 pieces. I'm going to examine it more closely
-- Edited on 2/7/12 12:36 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 2/7/12 1:01 PM

I went and look at more of this. I can't believe what's she charging for PDF patterns that you could very easily make yourself if you have a scanner. You could scan in any template pattern and print to a pdf, most printer software includes have this capability and then print it out as she does. Or draw you own and scan it. All the patterns she's using aren't copyrighted. If you go to quilter's Cache there are hundreds of patterns you could do this with. Just draw the patterns according the measurements scan in etc.
-- Edited on 2/7/12 1:02 PM --

------

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 2/7/12 2:11 PM

Reminds me a bit of a technique I saw years ago for making hexagon quilts - that one involved a rubber stamp and an inkpad for stamping the sewing lines directly on the fabric.

Looks interesting, but I agree with Sewwolf a tad overpriced. I would only ever consider it for something complicated to cut like Clamshell or Winding Ways. And only with about a 50-75% discount...

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 2/7/12 2:30 PM

Somebody used to sell similar layouts for various sizes of triangles, etc. It's maybe a little pricey, but you would only have to pay once and you could print out sheets and use it forever. I can see how it would be more user friendly than having to cut with a template over and over. Now, with simpler blocks I'd just use my ruler and cut it the 'normal way', but for anything that's irregular or would otherwise need a template, I can see it.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to LauraTS

Date: 2/7/12 3:31 PM

Quote: LauraTS
Somebody used to sell similar layouts for various sizes of triangles, etc. It's maybe a little pricey, but you would only have to pay once and you could print out sheets and use it forever.

I have that It's called Triangulations. I got mine for less than $20 (someone had a sale years ago). One CD makes a wide range of sizes of half square and quarter square triangles. Works similarly to "Thangles" but Triangulations you print yourself. I use paper-piecing paper.

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 11:08 PM

Sewwolf, You have the most convincing point about drafting and scanning your own patterns... What I noticed is her patterns are specific to particular quilts designs... like the Quilted Diamonds... similar to the Dear Jane quilt - lots of tiny intricate blocks. I think that is where she has a niche. But I am pretty adept with drafting my own blocks so why would I want to use a product for something I could easily do myself. Thank you for saving me. I did download her free sample though, just to test the method.

As for Thangles, I wrote a review about them here. I have a pack of several sizes that will hold me if I have a need for hundreds of HST's.

I recently learned how to do foundation piecing using freezer paper but rather than sewing through the paper, it is folded and the edge is used as a guide for seam allowances. The Tweedletails has a tutorial. I have used this on very complicated blocks with great success. Using freezer paper rather than vellum paper is the key.

------

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 11:17 PM

My latest obsession... I started the beginning of the year and have 10 blocks and two triangle blocks completed

-- Edited on 2/8/12 11:19 PM --
-- Edited on 2/8/12 11:19 PM --

------

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 2/9/12 0:37 AM

Wow, that is fantastic! Are you using the freezer paper method on this quilt? I want the skills to make all those different blocks!

I don't know how to do paper piecing yet--I'm still pretty new to quilting, but I did learn the freezer paper method, and I think it is awesome! I'm using the method to make a Northern Lights quilt pattern by Jinny Beyer.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 2/9/12 8:50 AM

So your doing a Dear Jane quilt. That is a lot of work. May all the quilting Gods be with you. There was Baltimore Halloween quilt I fell in love with but it was so much work and some applique. With this darn bone spur in my left thumb I have to stay away from the intense cutting projects. I had thought about the Dear Jane but didn't want to put out a lot of money for the dvd etc. But it's great project. Maybe if I had more spare time.
-- Edited on 2/9/12 8:55 AM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Inklingo

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.