SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Lisette Fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lisette Fabric
Is it good quality?
Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 2/7/12 10:29 AM

I just got a Lisette pattern for a shirt dress.
My biggest problem with sewing is picking appropriate materials. I noticed that Joanns carries Lisette fabric, that goes with the patterns.

Has anyone purchased this material. I'm looking at a chambray specifically (I have no idea what chambray is...)
Will it wash well? Last a reasonable amount of time?

alexdm
alexdm
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 5/12/09
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321

Date: 2/7/12 10:57 AM

Chambray is a plain weave fabric usually made from cotton or cotton blends. It resembles denim because the cross wise yarns are white while the lengthwise yarns are (usually) blue. It is more lightweight than denim, suitable for dresses or tops. The photo on the pattern actually shows Chambray.

I am not sure about the Lisette fabric but in general Chambray is very easy to wash, sew, and work with. Make sure you preshrink though.

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 2/7/12 11:08 AM

Thanks for the Chambray description! I figured buying the fabric shown on the envelope was a sure match, but I haven't really cared for the garments I've made with Joanns fabric in the past.

mrsbewley
starstar
mrsbewley  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 8/14/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321

Date: 2/7/12 11:17 AM

I haven't made anything with the Lisette fabrics, but from the feel of them, I'd say they are good quality. At least the cottons are - they have that silky feel that seems to go with good quality cottons.

Liz

Noiresque
Noiresque  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/23/10
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 1:48 AM

Lisette fabrics arrived in an Australian chain this month, but the lightweight sateen and especially the twill is to die for. I can't wait to see the poplin.

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Noiresque

Date: 2/21/12 1:57 AM

I agree! The twill and blouse-weight sateens are so soft and drapey. Lovely fabrics! Washed up very well. Certainly much nicer than many of the twills/drills and sateens we buy here in Australia. I'm having a hard time restraining myself.

I do think the lawns are a little thin. Poplins are nice though but thinner than the poplins I'm use to.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

joyoussprite
star
joyoussprite
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 12/6/05
Send Message

Date: 2/26/12 11:40 PM

I got some Lisette cord (the brown with blue dots and pears). It has washed and worn beautifully (on a two year old) and is very soft. I can't speak to the chambray, but I love the cord and would be very likely to buy other Lisette fabrics.

MelissaB in WA
starstarstarstar
MelissaB in WA
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/18/04
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

Date: 2/26/12 11:57 PM

I made a light weight jacket out of the Lisette chambray this past summer and it washed up nicely. Granted I haven't washed it again because by the time I got it finished it wasn't the right season to wear the jacket, but I have no indications it will give me problems.

------
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~Dolly Parton

Fabric sewn in 2014 ~ 25 yards
Fabric sewn in 2013 ~ 73.5 yards

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 9:00 PM

I find the sateens soft with a nice drape. The lawns are lightweight, soft and comfortable to wear. I made a Lisette blouse from one of the current ones and wear it regularly. I made my toddler a blouse from the dragonfly poplin and she just loves it. I like the feel of the twill, but haven't bought much of it since the prints don't appeal to me as much as some of the others. I made a skirt from the chambray last summer but didn't love the way it felt or wore. It may have been partly my pattern choice. In general, I find the Lisette fabrics to be much higher quality than the usual Joann choices and very reasonable for the price. I have cotton sateen and cotton lawn from Robert Kaufman that I think are finer and I have some simply georgeous lawns from Lecien. So I suppose the Lisette fabrics are a good solid middle ground. I plan to purchase more.

------
Melanie

JennaF
star
JennaF
Intermediate
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 10:42 PM

Does anyone know what width the sateen is?? I'm hoping for 60" but the Joann's website says 8"...which is...interesting.

------
http://www.seamstressintraining.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Lisette Fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Simplicity 1761

photo
by: cleverkitt...

Review
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.