SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > about needles... ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
about needles...
richsgirl
richsgirl
Member since 2/4/12
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 1:56 AM

How do you know exactly when it's time to change out a sewing machine needle?
We just got a singer quantum stylist for my daughter and I, we are enjoying it very much so far!
Also, how do you know exactly which size needle to use for each project.
I ambout to start a baby blanket with really thick material. How do I know what to use?

Red Dragon
star
Red Dragon
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 2/4/08
Send Message

In reply to richsgirl

Date: 2/8/12 2:25 AM

In general terms I've been told to change the needle for each project or every 4 sewing hours. Sometimes I let it go longer, especially if I'm working on similar fabric on back to back projects, or just doing repairs and so forth.
I got a little pamphlet some time back when I bought some needles, so your local sewing store may have something similar, that describes the different needle types and what needles goes with which weight of fabric. I did find this link to a blog that has a good summary that should help you start off.
HTH and good luck

------
Tracy, Canberra

Janome 7700QCP, Janome 4618QC, Husky S25 overlock/coverstitch

julie w
star
julie w
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 12/25/06
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 4:59 AM

I do the same as Red Dragon and change needles after most projects except for alterations which I tend to do in bulk anyway. This from the Threads website may be of help.

------
Julie, Perth, WA

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 5:25 AM

I put in a new needle for each new project. But keep and label the used needles to use on muslins. To label the used needles, I use a sharpy and write in each section of a red tomato pin cushion a different needle size, (i.e. 70 sharp) and then stick the corresponding used needle into that section.

DreinPA
starstar
DreinPA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/5/06
Send Message

In reply to richsgirl

Date: 2/8/12 8:20 AM

It is rare for a sewing machine manual to be printed without a chart of needles and thread, for different fabrics. You may wish to start there.

------
Don't confuse accessibility with ease; just because anybody can pick up a needle and thread doesn't mean sewing quality garments is easy.

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 8:36 AM

What DreInPA said. Here's your manual:

Pg 8 - Needles and what to use

-- Edited on 2/8/12 8:40 AM --

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to CathrynR

Date: 2/8/12 9:10 AM

OOO, I like that tomato idea. Just wish they would make those teeny-tiny #'s on the needles bigger, even with specs we can't read.

I recommend you pick up a couple Nancy's Notions Tip books, you will have answers to every little thing like this for a quick reference--Favorite Hints and 10-20-30 Minutes to Sew--I found them in Half-Price Books. Also Sew Fast, Faster Fastest by Hausmann.
**You will rely on Tip books instead of the pattern instructions, which are often outdated (why??) with new methods.

richsgirl
richsgirl
Member since 2/4/12
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 4:00 PM

Thanks everyone

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 7:57 PM

I found this Singer needle cushion after marking up a red tomato pin cushion too. Now I have a cushion for each sewing machine and the serger. Singer Needle cushion The singer doesn't have all the needle sizes and types, so I write in what I need, but I like how the side (divided) sections are divided by the number of hours used.
-- Edited on 2/8/12 8:01 PM --

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to richsgirl

Date: 2/8/12 8:36 PM

I have been using Organ needles the past several months. I find they are nice & sturdy. I agree with other posters check your sewing machine manual for needle sizes.
Whenever you have any stitch getting weird looking be sure to change the needle right away that is something I learned here on PR & really does make a big difference.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Mittee birthday 10/5/2009, The Baby 11/2/2000

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..almost 3 months & counting ...

Home to Hello Kitty Kate, Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> about needles...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1315

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.