SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Especially at this time of year.. ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Especially at this time of year..
Valentines.. the grand opening......
poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 12:56 PM

Lynn sat down her newly purchased coffee maker and proceeded to grind up a handful of her favorite beans for it.
'' Oh my goodness Lynn.. I can't believe you are using that dime store coffee maker with these two new fabulous ones just sitting out on the counter in all their glory.. what a waste.'' said her Aunt Linda.
'' Hmphh.. ' replied Lynn. '' Its not like I probably couldn't drink the entire pot of that huge coffee maker.. which btw. rivals my hot water tank in size and volumn.. '' but I might regret it tonight.. I need all the sleep I can get to get ready for the grand opening on Valentine's Day. Hard enough to sleep as it is with all these new changes to my life going on right now. And although the Keurig is nice.. I see dollar signs flying out the window with each cup used.. and for me.. with the amount of coffee I do consume.. that would be big bucks.. Those two machines can wait till the grand opening.. but help yourself to them if you wish..''
'' And its not a dime store coffee maker. more like the on sale one from the lumberyard. I had to stop there this morning to buy the pansies and ornamental cabbage to line the walkway with.. ''
'' Speaking of which.. will you be restoring your grandmothers vegetable garden behind the house Lynn ? '' asked Linda. '' Minus the peas of course.. ''
Lynn laughed.. her hatred of peas was obviously well known.. although as she got older she had developed more of a taste for them.. But not for beets.. never for beets .. or turnips either. She ever uttered those words out loud for fear someone would try to encourage her .. or worse.. dare her to eat them..

'' No, I don't think so.. at least not this year.. I have more than enough on my plate now.. pardon the pun..'' Lynn laughed.. Besides Bess and George will still be cultivating that rather large garden out on the farm.. so I am sure there will be plenty of overflow from it.. if we have a good year.. Bess and George being the foreman and his wife who lived on the farm that Lynn now owned.. and took care of the livestock and most other matters pertaining to the day to day work required to keep the property up.. ''I have to carve some time out today to get these new plants planted by the walkway leading to the front porch as it is.. ''
-- Edited on 2/8/12 12:57 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 1:08 PM

''Too bad its a bit chilly out today..'' Jan reflected.. ''Isn't that the way it always is.. it will be beautiful out till the day you need to be outside.. At least we are getting a few rains.. but not enough..''

Since the drought from last year.. the lakes were still low.. water rations would surely come early this year..

'' I know.. but as a business we have to have a cheery landscape out front to greet our customers.. I don't plan to overdo it any.. just up the walkway.. Grandmas old roses and hydrangeas and peonies will fill in where needed.. The farm will be okay as its on a well. as long as it doesn't go dry.. ''

''Thump''

All three snapped their heads up.. to where the sound seemed to come from..

'' Did you hear that'' they all asked at once..

'' Yes,,'' they all answered together..

''What do you think it was ? Asked Linda

''Not sure.. '' answered Lynn.. ''But I will ask Dan to check it out.. With all the recent construction.. could be anything.. Or even an animal.. ''

'' Sounded to loud for a squirrel.. although they are plentiful in this area.. with the large oaks and all the pecans.. lets hope its a cat keeping the mice away..'' Jan said..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 1:15 PM

'' Gosh I hope not. I have enough animals to feed now.. I think we should just ignore it.. what you don't know won't hurt you and that sorta thing.. '' Lynn interjected. Besides. I have so much to do getting ready for the opening.. I haven't got any spare time to think about anything else.. ''

''Will we be ready on time ?' Linda asked..

''Golly, I hope so .. not like we have a choice anyhow.. The ads have gone out.. too late to retract them.. not to mention word of mouth has my phone already ringing off the hook.. I had to put an answering machine on it yesterday so I could find time to work uninterrupted.. Seems like everyone is really looking forward to having a fabric store in the area.. Several are wanting to sign up for classes already.. I am speaking with Mrs. Tinkle about teaching a quilting class for the spring schedule.. Mrs. Bernstein is really wanting to complete a spring quilt .. she needs to build her skills in case a grandchild comes along soon.. ''

'' But the Christmas tree is still up Lynn.. ''

'' I know .. I know.. but it just brings back so many memories of Grandma and growing up.. I haven't had the heart to take it down.. and if I don't find time today.. may just hang some valentines on it.. that should buy me another few days of having it up..'' Lynn laughed..

'' Oh. that would be great.. I have seen Valentines trees at the craft stores.. and I think I can find time to decorate it today.. '' said Linda. '' Unless there is something else more important we need to be doing ?''

''You mean besides drinking coffee ? Well I suppose it is time to get started.. We have loads to do. but I imagine that won't change anytime soon if ever.. On top of running the store.. I have the farm to oversee.. even with Bess and Georges help..its still my responsibility.. I will be meeting with them soon I hope.. I asked Bess to be sure and show up for our opening.. ''

'' WTHeck.. sounds like someones running across the roof.. that can't be squirrels.. ''

''Sure enough did ..'' Lynn jumped up to look out the window.. but saw nothing.. '' Maybe its our imagination.. it was only a couple of steps.. could be more than one squirrel is at work.. but its loud enough to be a cat.. a very large cat at that.. I don't see anything.. but our bushes need to be trimmed back.. so its time I go out and get started.. ''

''These big old houses can be spooky.'' Jan shuddered..

''Funny you should say that.. When I was younger I always thought there was a ghost that lived in the attic.. Well, at least having a ghost around gave me someone to try to blame things on where grandma was concerned.. so he came in handy.. '' Lynn told them..

''Linda, you can do the tree this morning while I put the plants in.. just remember we will have to put the items back where they came from later on.. to sell them.. There are lots of boxes up in that one bedroom upstairs with bunches of stuff I haven't even looked in yet.. Might as well open them up.. we will need to know whats in them and get it out to sell.. Jan.. Maybe you can walk around and make a punch list of things left to do.. anything you see that needs to be done still. and I have lots of paperwork to make copies of in the office if you have time leftover.
I was thinking if we put some real time into work this morning, we could have lunch at The Crabby Cook downtown. ''

The original downtown section of grandmothers home town was only a couple of blocks long.. but contained some fabulous shops and a couple of restaurants .. Like most small towns it was growing.. the antique shops and art galleries attracting quite a following .. Gratefully it was not over run with tourist yet. mostly locals from around the area.. which would bode well for Lynn's Shoppe..

What tourists there were would come in the summer.. Most of them being around for the nearby lake.. Like most tourists they would be shopping for the unusual.. so Lynn hoped to have some items they would enjoy taking back home with them.. and maybe some of the local ladies could sell their sewing merchandise in the shop for pocket monies. Lynn knew in this tight economy.. that would be appreciated.. and she would make some of the sell of the supplies they used to make their crafts.. so it would also mean a better bottom line for the shop.. Although Lynn's grandmother had left funds to see that the shop got up and going on the right foot.. it was important to Lynn that she made a profit as soon as possible.. if for no other reason than to placate Dan that no longer being at home all day was for the best for many reasons.. but also for the good of the entire family..
-- Edited on 2/8/12 1:45 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 2:00 PM

By late morning Lynn had managed to get the plants in the ground.. scattering perennial seeds around them for blooms later in the seasons.. In the Texas heat.. the pansies and ornamental cabbage would not last long into the year.. With plants becoming expensive she hoped the perennials would bloom for her.. it would keep the maintenance costs down. Many of her seeds were heirloom seeds. taken from plants she already owned.. and a few from around the property as well as the farm.. And luckily another PR member had sent her some bulbs she was really looking forward to growing .. and watching them multiply over time.

Lynn had gotten her green thumb from her Aunt Doris..grandfathers sister.. who was responsible not only for the large solarium on the back on her grandmothers old home.. but also for the west wing later attached onto the main home.. which was her living quarters the last few years of her life here in town.. Doris herself was an artist .. and her paintings of flowers and landscapes had made a name for her.. and sold well while she was alive. Lynn still had some of those paintings in her grandmothers house.. now the fabric store.. and a lot more of them were stored around the property.

Although Grandma had planted her own bushes as so forth as soon as the house had been built.. she was mostly all about her vegetable garden.. being a homemaker herself in her early years.. and a practical woman.. Lynn was all about flowers.. who only grew vegetables to eat.. and only those she liked to eat at that..

-- Edited on 2/9/12 7:12 AM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 2:10 PM

Lynn cleaned up her tools, with the hopes she wouldn't be using them again anytime soon.. otherwise the lazy side of her would have simply left them in the wheelbarrow.. dirt and all.

She rolled the wheelbarrow to the back side of the shoppe.. near the solarium..and noticed with dismay the front wheel had gone flat over the winter. She would have to ask Dan to fix that.. or how to fix that. Lynn felt guilty that Dan might have any additional work put on him on account of the shoppe.. She hoped to bear the total responsibility of it.. without his help.. as he already had enough to do at home and at work.. although Lynn did have to beg him to do his part at home..

If only TV and sports had not been invented.. thought Lynn.. think of how much more we would all accomplish in life. Or at least our hubbies..

Going inside she wondered if it was too late in the day to start another part of coffee.. and then decided it was never to late for a fresh pot.. She had been putting in some long days in order to get ready for the Grand Opening on Valentines Day.. She still had to do her personal taxes.. and spring cleaning was just around the corner.. things were always busy.. especially this time of year..
-- Edited on 2/8/12 2:13 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 2:22 PM

No use putting the wheelbarrow back in the carriage house she thought.. I would just have to dig it back out to fix the wheel..
Looking up at the solarium.. she made note to have the windows washed.. Although the solarium had not yet been incorporated in the space of the shoppe yet.. she wanted the home to look as good as possible for the opening.. and construction dust was still lingering everywhere it seemed.
Glancing up to take in the entire home.. she also noticed the west wing would need some special attention soon.. the sooner the better. As of yet.. Lynn had not ventured into that newer part of the home.. no telling what she would find there.. or in the carriage house.. The lower part of the carriage house held the tools that were used around the yard.. but plenty of other odd items were stored there.. it would be fun.. but time consuming to sort thru it all..
She poured her a cup of the fresh coffee.. took a minute out to check her emails...and best of all to check out the new threads on Pattern Review.. Never knew when Poorpiging might pop up with a new story.. or LynnRowe might buy another Featherweight.. And the new spring patterns would be out soon.. And Lynn had not had a lot of time lately to read or post as much as she liked..
-- Edited on 2/8/12 2:33 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 2:40 PM

Linda came in from the other room.. where she had been kept busy dealing with the Christmas tree.. '' Just about finished.. but don't peek yet.. '' she requested of Lynn.. '' I also think we need a few decorations around the rest of the shop.. after all its a grand opening.. ''

'' AND SOME FOOD.'' Dan spoke up from beyond the kitchen.. walking in with Jan at his heels..

'' I'mmmm...........

''HUNGRY'' All three ladies said at once..

Dan looked sheepish.. then spoke up in an effort to save his beaten reputation.. '' No, I was going to say I am here to help..''

''Oh,, then you can finish up for us here while we go down to the Crabby Cook for lunch..'' Lynn joked..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 2:46 PM

''Tell you what Dan.. I will take you to lunch..my treat.. if you will show me how to fix the wheel on my wheelbarrow when we get back..''

'' I can just fix it myself'' Dan said.. rather too smugly Lynn thought.. I bet he thinks women can't do that sort of repair..

'' Nope.. thats not the deal. you can do it. yourself.. but you have to show me how its done.. You won't always be around to do these things for me you know.. ''

'' I'm not planning on dying soon Lynn''

'' Well, maybe... or maybe not. as your job is dangerous.. But I meant I doubted you would want to leave a football game to drive out here to do daily chores Dan.. ''

Dan had just been promoted to Detective.. something they both were proud of.. and the raise in pay would be great too.. Now they could relax a bit in regards to their tight budget they had been living on in the last couple of years..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 2:57 PM

''Are you sure you two don't want to go to lunch alone.. We know you don't have much time together with you being here during the day.. and Dan being at work so much in the evenings.. ' Jan inquired..

'' Dan's hours will be changing soon with his new duties.. and we are both too tired to have anything to argue about.. but in case we find something.. I would love to have some female back-up.. '' Lynn grinned..

The power struggle that went on in Lynn's marriage was no secret to her friends and family.. Both her and Dan were a bit spoiled.. and both worked too much if truth be told.. Even after so many years together.. and apart during his military career.. they still had issues to work out.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/8/12 3:15 PM

whoops!
-- Edited on 2/8/12 10:12 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Especially at this time of year..

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

More Info
Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.