Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > Perfect Fitting book, a must buy? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Perfect Fitting book, a must buy?
rfsews
rfsews
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/21/06
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/8/12 6:45 PM

After seeing the review on PR bulletin, I am itching to buy Perfect Fitting. In my collection of fitting books, Iíve got:

Fast Fit
Fit for Real People
Fitting Pattern Alteration
Power Sewing

Would this be a good addition to my collection or will there be too much overlap with my existing books? I've never taken a class with the author before and since this is her first book, I'm pretty much relying on user reviews. I will also be buying Pants for Real People (to qualify for the free shipping on Amazon...).

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06

Date: 2/8/12 6:58 PM

Good question! Thanks for asking, I am wondering the same thing!

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04

In reply to rfsews
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/8/12 7:18 PM

Having recently bought a copy of Sarah Veblen's Perfect Fitting I must say it is a must have book! For me it's the best book about fit currently available. Far better than any of the books you listed. Now this might be because I think like Sarah. I fit my own garments the same way she does. Of course every book has valuable information worth reading, but I am super impressed with the layout of this book and Sarah's methods.

This is a book about FIT, not pattern alterations. She addresses one of the most important principles when fitting, balance. Something that is rarely addressed in other books yet I feel it is the key aspect of fit. If you understand balance you can fit almost any garment. The book is easy to read and follow. I love the way it is presented and all the photos. It is very different than other fit books but I think this is a good thing. I also think it is well suited to both beginners and advanced sew-ers alike.

The section on pants is light on and not in enough detail IMHO, and there is nothing about fitting knits. The book is mostly about woven tops and skirts but still the principles of fit she covers does transfer to pants and knits.

The book also doesn't cover every fit alteration, far from it. This is not a reference book that covers every possible fit alteration. Instead it is a book that teaches the basic principles of fit. Something that no other book does. I highly recommend it.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to rfsews
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/8/12 9:52 PM

My response is something like the saying, "One can never have too much chocolate". Well, one can never have too many fitting books...

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
GA
Member since 6/6/10

In reply to Sew4Fun

Date: 2/9/12 9:54 PM

I too was considering buying Veblen's Perfect Fitting as it seemed quite modern and had lots of nice big pictures.

However, I admit I'm not sure I understand the difference between fit verses pattern alternations. I was under the impression that this book would help me alter or tweak patterns if the muslin I made didn't come out right, aka not fit well.

Can you please shed some more light on this??

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

alexdm
alexdm
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 5/12/09

In reply to bookwormbethie

Date: 2/9/12 10:31 PM

This book looks really good I must say! I don't own it but will definitely add it to my collection.
Fitting is the process of eliminating all the wrinkles and drag lines from your test garment so that it fits smoothly and you have the ability to move. The fitting process determines the pattern alterations you will make. Garment balance is definitely the key. I have an example of the process on my blog that might offer some clarity.
In-House Patterns

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08

In reply to rfsews

Date: 2/10/12 1:37 AM

I highly recommend this book and have read it through at least twice. It has great explanantions. There are multiple book reviews here:
Book Reviews

and the Amazon "look inside" feature allows you to browse the book before buying here:
Book on Amazon with browse feature.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05

Date: 2/10/12 3:32 AM

In Sarah's book, you sew a test garment made of muslin; try it on to see how it fits; pin and mark the needed changes on the muslin; and then and only then. transfer those changes to your paper pattern. So you do in fact alter your paper pattern -- but you are basing those alterations on the changes you had to make to get your test garment to fit you.

-- Edited on 2/10/12 3:39 AM --

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04

Date: 2/10/12 5:45 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that this book would help me alter or tweak patterns if the muslin I made didn't come out right, aka not fit well. Can you please shed some more light on this??

Most fit books talk about how to alter the pattern when you see X wrinkle or fold on your toile. That is, this wrinkle means you need to do a sway back alteration to the pattern or this wrinkle means you need a flat buttocks alteration. It talks about how to alter the pattern. Pattern alterations.

Sarah's book teaches you to see the toile as a whole garment and not focus on any one area. It teaches the importance of balance and how when the balance is out how to correct it on the toile. It also teaches about altering the toile to add more shape and get a custom fit. You adjust the toile and learn how to fit a garment on your body. Then when you are finished you transfer these alterations back to the pattern. Sarah goes into great detail about this too. How to alter the pattern including all the pattern pieces not just the main ones, how to walk the pattern pieces and correct them, how to true a pattern. All very important things that books often over look.

My best advice is to buy the book if you want to understand. :)

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

mrsohly
mrsohly
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 12/2/11

Date: 2/10/12 8:54 AM

I ordered this book and Fit for real people last week. They both came in yesterday. I obviously haven't had a chance to read them yet, but I did browse through them a little.

One of the editorial reviews here said that she didn't recommend this book for newbies and both of the reviews are from advanced sewist.

Have any beginners read and understood this book? Should I put it on a shelf until I have more experience?

Thanks.

------
Kathy O.
No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it to anyone else. ~Charles Dickens

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Perfect Fitting book, a must buy?

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116 dress
photo
Review by Heidi Ho on 7/19/09
Read Review

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern
Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Details
Price: $14.25
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Pattern Runway Assymetrical Bow Dress Digital Pattern
Pattern Runway Assymetrical Bow Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $9.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Cool Cardigan Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Cool Cardigan Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 6084 Two Hour Top
photo
Review by KatieA on 10/21/07
Read Review

Simplicity 1585 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10-12 )
Simplicity 1585 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6210 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18-20-22 )
New Look 6210 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN