SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Web site Talk > Blog etiquette ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Blog etiquette
Using other people's photos, etc.
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 2/10/12 12:15 PM

I'm planning to start a blog soon (nothing to do with sewing), so I was looking into etiquette regarding fair use of others' photos, artwork, etc. I found a great blog article by a librarian:

Blogger etiquette -- photos

It links to some great sites that help you find free-access images and credit them properly.

Just thought I'd pass this on. If you know of other good resources and information on this subject, I'm sure it will be useful to many of us here.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: me, about four decades ago

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan

Date: 2/10/12 12:46 PM

It isn't very difficult to credit where you find an image. I do however use nearly all of my own photographs.

it seems only polite to give proper credit.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan

Date: 2/10/12 12:52 PM

Rule of thumb - take your own and only post your own. If you want to show what someone has done - link to their blog, article, site etc. Also, re-size your photos to make them too small to appeal to others!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 2/10/12 1:41 PM

Thanks, and definitely, using links and/or only your own photos is ideal -- and posting ONLY my own photos would be great if it were a sewing blog or a "general life stuff" blog.

But there are apparently photos that are available to use, with a credit. Quoting Holly the Librarian, from that article:

Quote:
If you want to use generic images on your blog in order to highlight various points in your blog (or distract from your atrocious spelling) by using photos of cute babies or barking dogs, seek out the copyright-free (usually the really old pictures whose copyright has expired) or Creative Commons photos. One of the greatest things about Flickr is that they let you search the vast photo library for Creative Commons licensing. Start here, and then check the box that says “Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content.” Usually all the photographer wants is credit–make sure you include it somewhere within your post.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: me, about four decades ago

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan

Date: 2/10/12 2:15 PM

Great thread. It is so helpful to link to many of the great blogs that people put together. I find it to be very helpful to have a clearly stated comment on the blog about whether or not it is okay to link; or, contact information to ask for permission if it is not clearly stated.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

Date: 2/10/12 5:56 PM

You can use pretty much any picture you find, as long as it falls under fair use. Post a comment about it, link back to the source, and you're good to go under most circumstances.

I have used other's pics on my own blog, but I generally steer away from personal photos. I've used images off of Modcloth and the like more frequently. You could use someones personal pic as long as it is under fair use, but I find it to be a bit creepy, lol.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

pkoller
pkoller
Advanced Beginner
Arkansas USA
Member since 1/25/10
Send Message

Date: 2/10/12 7:05 PM

If you are concerned about someone using your own photos, you can watermark them. Most photo editing programs will allow you to do this.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/10/12 8:24 PM

I use a series of rubber ducks on my blog, courtesy of the gal that takes the pic. I got permission years ago to use whatever I wanted, and I have updated each time with her new website, and a thank you for them on it (as was the agreement between us).

Like others, I use images I find on other sites with credit, take my own or use copyright free ones. I also will ask the owners if I can use photos I want from flickr or whatever (things likes ducks, nothing personal) and so far, only one has told me no in several years. Everyone else is really nice about wanting to use it, but it is never anything sewing related so much as it is duck related.

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 2/19/12 7:53 AM

From the opposite point of view, does anyone use a copyright notice on their blog? I'm in the process of trying to set a blog up, and can think of a couple of issues that might conceivably arise - would appreciate thoughts on this from more experienced bloggers.
First, I'm allowed to use a photo which isn't mine, but where the photographer wants to keep copyright, for my header. I'd like to credit it, and have some kind of a statement informing that its copyright. Is this enough? I mean its more likely that someone would want to use it and think of grabbing it than any of my stitchy-related pics :D. On that second thought though - is there any circumstance where pictures might get misused, and would a general copyright notice covering them be more likely to put off friendly traffic and linking than exploitative use? What I mean is that I'd be happy as Larry if anyone within the sewing community found something I posted interesting enough to want to link to, but not so happy to find people-shots misappropriated for other uses. Has anyone any experience of this?

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

In reply to petro

Date: 2/19/12 6:32 PM

I have been blogging over a year now, not terribly long, but I will help as much as I can.

Your pictures and content are automatically copyrighted even if you don't put a disclaimer on your blog. However, people can still use any pics that belong to you as long as it falls under fair use. If it falls under fair use, they can use it even if it is in a way that you don't like. And, yes, people will use your pics sometimes in ways that doesn't fall under fair use. I have found my personal blog pics on Pinterest, and they only linked back to google images, not my blog. I chose not to worry about it though, as it;s just not too big of a deal to me.

As for using other people's pictures, I do it. However, in general I only use pics that belong to large companies, usually things I am inspired by. For me, personally, if I wish to use an individual's picture, I would ask first. Fair use or not, I think it would fall under "blogging etiquette." If you're using someone else's picture just make sure to make a "comment" about it and give them credit, which most people do in the form of a link.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Blog etiquette

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 5502

photo
by: cleverkitt...

Review
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Buy Now
Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.