Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Changing skirt front, with pleats

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Changing skirt front, with pleats
Horizontal and asymmetrical to asymmetrical only
snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/7/07
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/10/12 11:38 PM

I'm making my own wedding dress and for the front of the skirt, am using vogue 2482.

The pattern calls for horizontal and asymmetrical pleats, as shown in this photo. But I think I want to go for asymmetrical pleats only.

I undid the pleats on the horizontal only side, so they become asymmetrical only looking like this

now the side seam, and the top seam isnt true. am I correct in thinking I just true the unpleated side up, and true out the top of the skirt to be level from the pleated side across? My mind is a bit boggled working with 3 different patterns for one item and I'm starting to confuse myself. Over thinking maybe

------
Check my blog :)
http://snuzalsews.blogspot.com/

Juki Exceed F600, Babylock Imagine, Janome 300E.

StitchWench
StitchWench
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/17/06

Date: 2/11/12 5:47 AM

In your first pic you've "folded out" the horizontal pleats & it's my understanding that that is all you need to do. (Darts on the other hand have fullness at the end (point) & thus need to be transferred.) I hope someone else comments so we both then know if my thinking is correct.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to snuzal

Date: 2/11/12 5:55 AM

How does the side opposite the pleats look? You didn't post a picture of the pattern envelope. My question is if you remove the pleats on the left side, you'll still have some fullness, and it's that fullness I'd like to know how is treated.

If you want to remove the pleats altogether, fold them out on both sides, tape them together, and retrace the pattern, truing up your seam lines. Then make a muslin.

EDITED TO ADD: Whoops. I forgot about the waistline darts. You need to transfer some of that pleated fullness to the waistline for shaping.
-- Edited on 2/11/12 5:58 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11

Date: 2/11/12 1:05 PM

If the horizontal pleats are the straight from left to right, they are just styling pleats and you can just fold them up and treat the pattern as if these didn't exist. If for some reason the pleats are curved the designer may have put some fitting elements hidden in a pleat. Since these are horizontal it's unlikely.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/7/07

Date: 2/11/12 2:00 PM

Sorry guys, I should've explained better.

I've undone the horizontal pleats on one side only. You can see in the bottom picture all the original pleats on the right are still there, but I've undone the ones on the left. So there's just several asymmetrical pleats instead of a combination.

There's no waist darts at all to change, and as I am using a different pattern for the skirt back, I will be needing to adjust the length anyway to make sure they match up.

Hopefully that makes more sense

------

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to snuzal

Date: 2/11/12 2:04 PM

Saw your pictures posted 2/21/12. Looking great!
-- Edited on 2/22/12 0:07 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11

In reply to snuzal

Date: 2/11/12 5:02 PM

Am I reading this correctly that you want to replace the horizontal pleats with asymmetrical pleats? So you have all asymmetrical pleats. You do not want to simply eliminate the horizontal pleats. If this is the case. I would tape up the horizontal pleats and create new pleats where you want them. I would stash where you want the pleat and spread. Add the extra tissue in between at the depth that you want the pleats. Fold up the pleat and trim the paper excess at the side seam cut line. You may want to make a traced copy of your pattern before you do this in case something goes horribly wrong.
-- Edited on 2/11/12 5:03 PM --

------

snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/7/07

Date: 2/12/12 2:11 AM

Sorry guys,

I'm not really sure if I'm making a lot of sense.

I lay the pattern out to see what it'd look like, I will be making a muslin (not cutting into almost 1dozen metres of fabric without doing several toiles)
But I hate the horizontal pleats.
So. I am thinking the final pattern piece will look like this, once pleated. There will be pleats on the right that will slowly taper out to zilch. None on the left.

Think I'm getting a bit confused reading everything and trying to visualise it, so as soon as HTB has made my light box up I'll trace the pattern off and do toiles.

Obviously one side will be longer due to having pleats on that side, but that's normal with patterns that have asymmetrical pleating or gathering. So I think I am on the right track of truing out the side and top seam

------

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/30/02

Date: 2/12/12 4:23 AM

If I understand you correctly, yes, you're on the right track. You want a kind of sunburst effect from one side? Fold out the pleats on the side you'd like plain & tape them together to create your pattern piece. That will true that side seam & should sort out the top seam as well. The side where the pleats will start will be longer, as you expect. I wouldn't just cut the excess off at the top of the pattern as that may affect the waist shaping. It looks like it would probably be ok but for a wedding dress I wouldn't risk itCongratulations!

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11

Date: 2/12/12 11:20 AM

I would still stick with my earlier recommendation of taping up the pleats you don't want and creating them where and how you want them. The new ones can be any shape, length, number,, placement you want. I'm not saying that you can't do it the way you're suggestings it's prone to more issues. By expanding the left of the pattern you're increasing the length at the side seams. The shape of the hip curve needs to be corrected. Then you need to correct the side seam length. Then you need to correct the waistline.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Changing skirt front, with pleats

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

McCall's 5510 pjs for girls
photo
Review by chunter on 7/20/10
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern
Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sassy Bag
Sassy Bag

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress, Bloomers, and Playsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-5 )
Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress, Bloomers, and Playsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-5 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)
Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)

Details
Price: $11.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

No Pattern Used Kitchen curtains
photo
Review by sewsunny37 on 9/20/10
Read Review

Simplicity 2165 Pattern ( Size ALL )
Simplicity 2165 Pattern ( Size ALL )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8727 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 8727 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $27.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN