SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Something to check! ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Something to check!
Watch the bolt info on cutting....
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/11/12 10:32 AM

Twice this has happened to me on buying spring woven fabrics in regular fabric stores--the bolts say 54", but the fabrics are 45", which of course can't squeeze you a sleeveless top out of a yard and a quarter.
Returning to the stores, there wasn't any left or I got arguments
from the clerk. The contents were correct, so these weren't re-cycled cardboards, but the widths are deceiving!

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 2/11/12 1:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up gramma b. I've never thought to check. I work in the grocery business and if the tag on the shelf doesn't match the product the store gets fined.

Grab your measuring tape and go back and see if you can find other bolts that say 54" but are really 45" and raise a big stink about it. That fabric store is totally ripping you off with 2.25 sq ft less per yard or 17% less fabric. That's a lot plus the whole yardage could be totally unusable. grrr So angry.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 2/11/12 5:05 PM

That is pretty bad. My other big issue at a cutting table, is when the fabric is a two way stretch knit or even sometimes a two way stretch woven, like Nylon Lycra and it gets off the bolt at one point, and then rewound or into a flat fold table, and the cutter measures it the wrong way across the grain instead of lengthwise. Most times because cannot recognize a selvage edge I guess.? That has happened to me with bad cutters/new cuttersbefore. Quite a few times over the years.

Sometimes you can even point it out and argue for a long time, that is what they are doing, but to no avail. When that kind of thing occasionally happens to me now, I don't even bother to point it out to many times in a row or make a big deal of it anymore, as most times a waste of breath. Instead, in that case since they are measuring even the width and the wrong side of the fabric at that point, it will really just measure the same, no matter how many yards you get, or the whole flat fold piece.

I used to argue that with them, when that happened, (as like to be a good person, at least just at first, but theydon't understand that and want to be argumentative about it, then now I say just fine, give me the whole flat fold piece, or the whole bolt, as does not matter then, as if you got that kind of issue at a cutting table, the flat fold or whole bolt (no matter how much is on it) will cost you just the same 54" or 60' inches no matter what anyways :)

Of course someone else doing inventory there later is probably going to notice fabric shortages all over the store later, but that is really their problem at that point, if they don't train their cutters right.

But you would think the cutters at those tables would notice if the fabric bolts are marked a different width than the real fabric too. And once they notice that, on even just one of them, it would only take a few moments and one little black sharpie pen, to go back and find all them that were a like and came from the same vendor, and just cross out the width info on end of cardboard bolt and hand write in, what it was really was instead. You could try mentioning that to the manager there, and see if it made any difference or not.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 2/11/12 5:27 PM

If you take a tape measure and hold it at your nose, with head looking striaght ahead and stretch it as far as thumb and index fingers will allow, you might find it measures someplace between 30 and 36 inches sometimes. If so, or you can make it so by turning your head a bit in the other direction, then you always have a handy measuring device for fabric with you no matter what, as it's just your body as the measuring device then. You could also try that, as that comes in handy sometimes.

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo

Date: 2/11/12 5:40 PM

Quote: beauturbo
as it's just your body as the measuring device then.

I compare the bolt height to me and don't usually use the bolt tags ... 45" is around underbust and 54" is about my chin and 60" is almost as tall as me.

------
Sydney, Australia

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 2/11/12 6:45 PM

I don't believe the bolt tags. I always doublecheck the width, either estimating or with a tape measure.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 2/11/12 7:02 PM

This floors me. There is no reason in the world why you should have to check the widths on fabric bolts--crazy! The store is trying to put something over on you. How many people go into a fabric store and pull out a tape measure to measure the size of the bolt? I don't.

It is up to the store clerk, and the company, to mare sure that the bolts and the fabric widths match. If you got an argument, someone is not doing their job.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 2/11/12 7:39 PM

Wow--thanks for the heads up. Miss Fairchild is correct: we shouldn't have to measure the fabric.

The only places I have found where the fabric width or contents may not match the bolt label is at discounted places where they reuse bolts and make it very clear that they do.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/11/12 7:58 PM

I do out of habit, because so many are 39-65" depending on type, where I get it, etc.

I measure, because a 54" fabric requires a different amount then a 60", etc. I just do it at the table. If it's something off grain and they want to argue, I just don't get the fabric. Several times of saying "Hey I'd rather it be done this way..." and them arguing, I just go "Never mind that cut." I don't do the argument, and I don't give them money to mess it up. Sometimes it can be quite a few bolts, since I can't live without any of it.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 8:45 AM

And the cutters don't care if you buy that fabric or not.
Complaints don't get back to corporate mgmt. and local managers
seem to hate their jobs and don't care either. Guess they care less
about fabric concerns since stores became 3/4 other crafts.
I got a big gift card from relatives for Christmas and I'm having a hard time using it up, should have told them an online site!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Something to check!

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Simplicity mini-wardrobe contest

photo
by: colormefun

Review
Colette Patterns Truffle

photo
by: NewRibena

Review
Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

Buy Now
Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.