SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Web site Talk > Blogging Observation ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Blogging Observation
Just noticed this...
solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 2/11/12 10:23 PM

I am admittedly addicted to Pinterest. One of the advantages is that it has taken me to many new blogs I haven't seen before. I made an observation I'l like comment on.

I have noticed many craft blogs, not sewing blogs, are just ripping each other off. In other words, Blog A publishes 4-5 times a week. Most of the posts are simply links to Blogs B, C,D, etc. You will see a large beautiful picture of a process or finished item. You start reading and the blogger says "Isn't this fun? I saw this on Blog B and hope to try it soon." But doing a search you find blog A and think that's where all the info is. I find it frustrating and not good etiquette, IMO.

I guess my point is that it seems there are quite a few in the craft/organization/food world that have nothing to write and have to refer constantly to other blogs. Why bother? Again, I haven't seen this on sewing blogs. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 2/11/12 10:55 PM

I have. I don't like it. it;s a sort of round up rather than generating new material.

I have seen this some on sewing blogs as well.

I create my own content...otherwise, why bother.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 2:08 AM

I don't even use my pintrest, but I make my own content, even when there ISN'T content I can talk about.

My blog gets pulled a lot, especially a patch pocket tute I did a while back. Several places have it that use my pictures, and the majority of my text and don't link back. The most upsetting was one where I am in my slip, but since they don't link back, the gal can be fat for a change instead of me.

I probably should be more worried about it then I am.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 5:57 PM

I'm fully responsible for my content as well. I have had some pics pulled and that is sort of a strange feeling, a violation of sorts.

I really like that Pinterest has opened my eyes to some great new blogs. You can get sort of in a blog following rut and it is nice to shift around the mix now and then.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

sewbluetiful
star
sewbluetiful
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 2/8/07
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 9:39 PM

Ladies, I am like you,, I love Pinterest,, and I do also "pull" pix sometime,, (I guess you are referring to someone copying and pasting something from a site) BUT I always try to give credit where credit is due,, if I don't let me know,,I will correct it..

------
Mickie

http://sew-something.blogspot.com/

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 2/13/12 11:21 PM

Quote:
I am admittedly addicted to Pinterest.

That's Step One

I totally agree with you, and have seen it most often on food blogs. I try to follow links back as far as I can in order to give proper attribution. My recent blog post on a cake recipe almost took more time to research the recipe rather than read the steps and make the cake.

Pinterest is a little too much for me at times. There are so many possibilities, and so many ideas that I become a little confused and don't know where to start. I do use it as a clearinghouse for ideas, but now mostly for planning, and for completed projects.

Perhaps that is what is happening to some bloggers who are recycling ideas-they are becoming trapped in one phase of creativity and are not able to actually *pick* a project to work on.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 2/14/12 0:44 AM

Can you contact the blog that "pulls" your blog pics and ask them to remove them or link back to you? I think it is within your rights. Or maybe start adding watermark to the images

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

Leora
star
Leora
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 2/14/12 2:20 AM

Here are some ways to help you stop the image theft. As for the bloggers that make it a habit to rip each other off, I just don't get it. I have wondered if they do it because they are keeping that info handy for themselves, on their own blog, for future reference. Probably not though. I agree, it is not good etiquette.

------
Leah

My blog:
http://www.journeytocouture.com

My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/14/12 10:51 AM

I thought I'd like Pinterest, but it's too overwhelming. They automatically signed me up to follow all these people that I have no interest in!
I may use it for my own stuff, but certainly between facebook, PR, blogs and now pinterest, I might never move from my laptop ever again! So I'm backing off of all this social networking stuff. Time to live and not virtually either!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch

Date: 2/14/12 11:07 AM

Quote:
They automatically signed me up to follow all these people that I have no interest in!

They did? That hasn't happened to me. How about clicking on them and "unfollow"?

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Blogging Observation

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2009-125

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Sewing Workshop Helix Tee and Pants

Sewing Workshop Helix Tee and Pants

Buy Now
Newport Tote

Newport Tote

Buy Now
McCall's 8108

photo
by: Sewingmavi...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.