SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Think this fabric was a huge mistake, has anyone used it? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Think this fabric was a huge mistake, has anyone used it?
Swirly napped polyester(?) baby fabric
Patchoulie
Patchoulie
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 5/11/11
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 10:09 AM

I'm making a christening outfit for my little grandson.. romper out of dupioni silk and little jacket, hat & booties out of this (horrid) 'swirly' napped polyester (not sure really). It is a beast to cut out.. it's like down got loose from a pillow.. little particles everywhere.. I'm afraid it's going to get all over the silk.. daughter loved this fabric, so she bought it for me to use for this.. has anyone sewn with this type of fabric? Is there a trick to keeping the little nappies from flying everywhere and falling off? Is it going to be as horrible to sew with as it is to cut? Will it stick to the silk and if so, how will I get it off? Oh blah

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 10:29 AM

Is it this stuff?
Swirly Minky

If so, there are hints here:
Sewing with Minky

I found even the regular stuff without the swirls is a pain, stretches like crazy and wants to curl. I didn't try starch, but you can't iron it you'd have to air dry. Good luck.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 10:50 AM

I haven't sewn with this fabric in particular but have worked with many, many that makes an awful mess. The mess is generally at the edges. If the mess is coming from the face of the fabric don't use it. Since its probably just the edge as long as you completely contain the edge you shouldn't have issues with it getting on the silk dupioni once it's done and the bits are removed. During the cutting and construction there will be a mess on the table, on the floor, on you, on and in the machines... I use the hose of the vacuum right on the cut edge, lint brushes, sticky rollers, wadded up tape everywhere else.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

slimey
slimey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/22/06
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 11:02 AM

I made a flannel robe lined with swirly minky for my Wisconsin DD. After taking out the seams several times, I just accepted the shifting lengths and let the thing hang for a few days, then hemmed it.

It actually turned out pretty, but what a mess it was, for what should have been such an easy project.

It is really, really warm--she wears it in the middle of the night if the dog has to go out. It is almost too warm, I think.

I would only use it for a blanket in the future.

Patchoulie
Patchoulie
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 5/11/11
Send Message

In reply to clt3

Date: 2/12/12 12:29 PM

Yes, that is it! I asked daughter NOT to get ANYthing that was 'stretch', but the fabric store ladies told her it wasn't.. I will read up on working with it.. but I may just go out and try to find something else.. I dont' have much to choose from in my city though. I would love to just find a nice soft cotton warm fabric, but it needs to be acceptably fancy enough for a christening jacket.

Patchoulie
Patchoulie
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 5/11/11
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 12:44 PM

Oh boy, thanks for everyone's comments, and for the link to 'working with minky'... minky is STINKY.. and I'm going to go to the store and see what else I can find to replace it.. I definitely don't even want to try to do this, I'm already too tight for time.. the scissors even had a more difficult time cutting this stuff.. it is AWFUL! Very pretty though.. maybe daughter can make it into a blankie.

petro
starstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 1:16 PM

I haven't come across minky but is there any danger that it could shed fine particles after its sewn? If so, I'm not sure I'd want it around babies.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to Patchoulie

Date: 2/12/12 5:01 PM

Quote: Patchoulie
I may just go out and try to find something else.. I dont' have much to choose from in my city though. I would love to just find a nice soft cotton warm fabric, but it needs to be acceptably fancy enough for a christening jacket.

A couple of years ago, I outfitted my entire family (four adults) in WHITE garments for the Renaissance festival (picture). I was really surprised by the variety of fabrics I was able to find (I needed a mix of textures and shades of white, *and* they all needed to be machine washable). I found quite a lot in the home dec section, including a lovely tone-on-tone olefin that made my MIL's pretty vest (mine was actually made from diaper cloth, which has a pretty weave and a slight sheen to it). You might also try a fine-wale corduroy, which would probably look dressy enough from afar, given the right embellishments.

Good luck!

------
~Gem in the prairie

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NJ USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 2/12/12 5:16 PM

I'd be concerned about the baby inhaling this , not good for an infant.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to Patchoulie

Date: 2/12/12 5:22 PM

I recommend that you call a store that sells fabrics for heirloom sewing. There's one store in my area that specializes in this type of traditional garment sewing for babies and children, Peanut Butter 'n' Jelly Kids. I'm sure they (or someone at another heirloom store) could recommend the perfect fabric.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Think this fabric was a huge mistake, has anyone used it?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Simplicity 9891

photo
by: flyingwind...

Review
Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Quick and Comfy Dresses Pattern

SewBaby Quick and Comfy Dresses Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.