SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > "Cupcake" Dress ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
"Cupcake" Dress
Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 2:15 AM

My friend would like me to make a flouncy, frilly, "cupcake" of a formal dress to wear to the symphony. I've been sorting though patterns and I'm finding lots of long, lean, sleek strapless numbers but no birthday cakes. I've looked at the Big 4, Jalie, Kwik-sew and StyleArc. Simplicity had a knock-off Oscar de le Renta, but I'm just not seeing anything much. Any suggestions on where to go a-looking?

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

sewcool21
sewcool21
Beginner
IL USA
Member since 12/1/07
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame

Date: 2/13/12 4:21 AM

When I think of a cupcake dress, I thinks of a lot of layers of tulle or a dress with a fuller skirt. There are alot of patterns like this. I have a couple ideas.
Mccall 5850- I would add 3-4 layers of tulle with a curly hems just to give it a fuller appearance.
curly hem tutorial

Burda 8174- I already has the cupcake look with the circle skirt and a fitted princess seam bodice.

OOP simplicty 2693- This pattern is more on the frilly side, but is beautiful and I think it would make a cute cupcake dress. If she want a fuller skirt you can always add a petticoat.

If all else fails, go fabric shopping. My best ideas come when I am shopping for fabric.

------
sewcool21@blogspot.com

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 4:51 AM

I really don't know what you mean by cupcake dress, but if you want frills and flouces there are plenty in Vogue 8729. Check out that bow at the back!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 10:21 AM

Have a look at ballroom photos here for lots of cupcakes!

One thing your friend might want to keep in mind is that these things are usually BIG and take up a lot of space. Unless she is sitting in a private box with extra space and chairs that can be moved around, she might want to keep it scaled down a bit. She doesn't want to envelop herself and her seat mates in crinoline. Oh - and practice getting in and out of bathroom stalls. Have fun making this one. I have 20 yards of sparkle organza awaiting the start of my next one.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 2/13/12 10:51 AM

Do you know where they get their patterns?

The trouble isn't the skirt -- I can whip out a big, full, 1950's skirt -- it's the bodice. I'm not finding a noisy bodice.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame

Date: 2/14/12 5:37 PM

Um, has your friend ever been to the symphony in Washington? I can pretty much guarantee she'll be the only person there in a formal dress. We lived in Portland and had season tickets to the symphony, and were *constantly* overdressed (DH in a suit, me in a LBD, or a suit with a silk brocade jacket, etc). We're native midwesterners, and it was a bit of a shock to us how casual "evening" dress in the PNW was! (Our neighbors, who were natives to the area, used to joke that "evening" meant that you wear socks with your Birkinstocks! )

...That said, we still dressed up. So, I'm totally in favor of it, but she should be prepared to stand out.

(I also have no idea what a "cupcake" dress is.)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue

Date: 2/14/12 6:07 PM

Quote:
(I also have no idea what a "cupcake" dress is.

I'd guess that it's a frothy, full-skirted gown with a lot of 'stuff' going on, maybe something like this or this?
Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
CA USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue

Date: 2/14/12 9:29 PM

Is it a gala? Because my experience matches stirwaters blue -- here in San Francisco it is a jeans and a nice blouse crowd, unless it is opening night or a fundraiser.

Assuming it is the Spokane symphony -- correct me if I'm wrong -- here's what they say on their website:

"What is appropriate dress?
The Symphony provides a sophisticated musical experience, without sophisticated rules. Comfort is the key to enjoying your favorite Symphony music. We want your evening out to be as fun as possible, so dress up or dress down...as long as you dress comfortably."

-- Edited on 2/14/12 9:33 PM --

------
messymethodsewing.wordpress.com

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame

Date: 2/15/12 0:43 AM

Lady Mame - I use various things to make the bodices of my gowns. The current one is just a blouse pattern morphed onto a skirt. I think maybe it was originally Vogue 9771

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Subject: Cupcake Dress Date: 2/21/12 12:50 PM

Oh, we know that we'll be overdressed. I think that's the point?

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> "Cupcake" Dress

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Simplicity 2959

photo
by: Alice Wang

Review
SewBaby Baby Doll Puppet Pattern

SewBaby  Baby Doll Puppet  Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.