SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > when to stop winter sewing? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
when to stop winter sewing?
in a debate with myself
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 12:44 PM

I live in south Alabama and we have not had much of a winter to say the least. It has been more like spring this whole winter except for yesterday and today. There is one more winter clothing item that I would really like to make, even though I will only get one wear out of it. However, to make it I am going to have to spend about $16 and I will only get one wear out of it. Honestly, the thing that makes it a winter item is the color of it. I have just been dying to make myself one of those lace dresses out of some hunter green lace I have. I am wanting to use V8766 in the view pictured on the model. I would have to order some hunter green lining to go under it and buy a zipper to make this. The only thing holding me back is that I will be spending money on something that I will only get one wear out of this season. I could use that money on lining for some spring dresses. At the same time, I really want to wear a lace dress before they go out of style, even though I doubt that is going to happen by next fall. Furthermore, I could be spending that time getting started on spring sewing. However, I can't get this dress out of my head. What would you do?

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew

Date: 2/13/12 1:39 PM

I would go for it! Hunter green would look great for holiday parties next year and looking at the style I really don't think it will go out of fashion anytime soon.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 1:48 PM

I'm not too far from you, and I don't even have a coat. I just didn't mess with it this year. Then I got some awesome navy wool I wanted to make a coat, the Lutterloh tape because I have an old book with the perfect coat in it, and now I want to because it's cold. I have everything but buttons.

I probably won't, because it's vintage, won't go out of style (cause it already is) and I don't have to. I have a hoodie that will work until next year.

If you really want it, make it. You can get away with it until about the first of April, really, and pull it out the middle of Sept. Think about accessories and if you can make it more appropriate for early spring too, so you can get more wear out of it if you feel that badly.

I say go for what makes you happy. As someone that is incredibly cheap, sometimes happiness trumps cost.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew

Date: 2/13/12 2:10 PM

Make the dress now.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 2:31 PM

I would go ahead and make the dress. I mean where else are you going to get a great custom-made dress for $16?

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 4:07 PM

There's always next winter.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 4:50 PM

MAKE IT!!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 5:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I am going to make it. It will be my last "winter" project and I will wear it to church. Then I will pull it out for the Fall and Christmas Holidays later this year.

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 2/15/12 2:33 PM

Yep I would go on and make it. What if you forgot what you were going to do next year and a cool project sits around in the stash waitin gto be once again discovered.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/15/12 5:55 PM

Great decision! Consider that by making the dress now, even if you only wear it once, that it will be ready and waiting come the fall. If an occasion comes up in the early fall, the dress will be ready to go. Enjoy!

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> when to stop winter sewing?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Butterick 4957

photo
by: LM2HYD

Review
SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

Buy Now
Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.