SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Hexies ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hexies
1/4 inch template
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 1:02 PM

This is not my quilt. But I have wanted to do a hexie quilt for ages... Pure inspiration or pure lunacy!

From this...

To this!

Paper Pieces NAYY
I guess the photos are protected... at least you can go to the picture section. It's made by Debra in South Carolina

-- Edited on 2/13/12 1:12 PM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 2/13/12 1:54 PM

I have a paper piecing project that's in it's 3rd? year now? hahah, not even 1/3 of the way done with the top (not including the border) and mine hexagons are 1.5 inches (on a side) 1/4 inch hexagons, now that something!

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 2/13/12 1:59 PM

Oh I love these, too!

I actually have one started, in the traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden arrangement with '30s fabrics and yellow centers. I'm using the mylar templates, though, and not paper. Slow going, I can only do hand sewing in between bouts of arthritis.

Mine is much bigger than 1/4" - those are teeny! Going from memory I think they are about 1.5" diameter across the flats, which would be 3/4" or 7/8" across the edge

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz

Date: 2/13/12 8:01 PM

How do you like the mylar templates? I would think it tough to do with very small hexies with that. I actually called customer service to ask questions about the 1/4 and 3/8 sizes. Because they are paper, it was recommended that you fold over all the edges at once rather than working each side at a time. To baste them she said to sew a star or asterisk catching each of the layers of fabric and to sew through the paper and recommended to link each hexie with one thread rather than basting each one separately, there is no need to tie off each one. Once the string of hexies is done, separtate them so there is space on the thread between them and cut them apart. I asked how much distance between, she recommended a couple of inches. I think it wouldn't be that difficult to tie off each one but still keep a string of them going.

------

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to AminaHijabi

Date: 2/13/12 8:08 PM

The customer service rep I spoke to said the woman making that quilt is on her 5th year! I see it as one of those projects you can do while on the road or when I don't really have time to sew a larger project. What I like about the smaller once is that you can piece them much faster than the larger hexies. I suspect that it all comes out the same because you also have to make up for distance.

------

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 2/14/12 11:24 AM

I don't understand how you could paper piece the teeny tiny hexy??

Or the NEED to paper piece any of them for that matter. I only have a vague understanding of paper pieceing, but I thought it was for intrictae designs with oddly shaped pieces, not a uniform all are the same shape design?

------
Cathryn

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 2/14/12 12:58 PM

it's mosaic quilting you know? I had a bunch of odd fabric lying around from garments, not enough to make a uniform pattern of anything, not enough to make into strips of anything, it just worked out better to paper piece. I didn't know about machine paper piecing, I enjoy hand work, so I just cut squares from my scrapes, and started English paper piecing. I printed a hexeagon template sheet from that website posted above, got out colored pencils and drew a design on the hexagons matching the fabrics I have, then got to work. Lucky for me I only have... 694 full hexagon in the top to sew... of which I think I've done 100+ or something since I started. (pieced together, I have more hexagons basted) for larger hexagons it's easier to work with squares, then baste then squares into hexagons, also easier to cut squares from your scraps. You can either baste your fabric to the paper, or do another method of enclosing the template in corners so it pops out, but that only works if you know it's not going to be on the edges. You can see I like this hobby as strange and time consuming as it may be

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to AminaHijabi

Date: 2/14/12 2:49 PM

Quote: AminaHijabi
it's mosaic quilting you know? I had a bunch of odd fabric lying around from garments, not enough to make a uniform pattern of anything, not enough to make into strips of anything, it just worked out better to paper piece. I didn't know about machine paper piecing, I enjoy hand work, so I just cut squares from my scrapes, and started English paper piecing. I printed a hexeagon template sheet from that website posted above, got out colored pencils and drew a design on the hexagons matching the fabrics I have, then got to work. Lucky for me I only have... 694 full hexagon in the top to sew... of which I think I've done 100+ or something since I started. (pieced together, I have more hexagons basted) for larger hexagons it's easier to work with squares, then baste then squares into hexagons, also easier to cut squares from your scraps. You can either baste your fabric to the paper, or do another method of enclosing the template in corners so it pops out, but that only works if you know it's not going to be on the edges. You can see I like this hobby as strange and time consuming as it may be

I really can not even FATHOM what the paper is for??

------
Cathryn

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/14/12 4:13 PM

I liked english paper piecing when I learned it for a tumbling blocks sampler, and it your in the mood not to be tied to your machine its perfect. But I have to admit when I saw the accuquilt templates for hexagons and diamonds - I didn't hesitate - thinking it would be way faster

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull

Date: 2/15/12 12:05 PM

Quote: Cat n Bull
I really can not even FATHOM what the paper is for??

Cat n Bull here's a tute on English Paper Piecing. It's very different from the type of paper piecing Carol Doak teaches which is often called foundation piecing.

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Hexies

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

More Info
Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

More Info
Simplicity 1919

photo
by: wendlesue

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.