SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > This dress ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
This dress
or a sewing machine?
jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
TX USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 1:15 AM

Valentino Lace Halter Gown WOW!

This dress is absolutely gorgeous! Then I took a look at the price.

Oh.
My.

I saw the price and I thought, "I could buy a fabulous sewing machine that can embroider for that price."

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

petro
starstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 2:12 AM

Its a nice dress, easy construction, but probably expensive lace.

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 2/9/08
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 2:15 AM

Wow, that dress is fabulous! And the good news is that you could make it for about 1/10th the price of the Valentino, with enough left over for your dream sewing machine.

Lace $130/yd x 4.5 yards = $585

Crepe Lining $30/yd x 4.5 yards = $135

Out of Print Simplicity Pattern $10

Total = $730 plus shipping vs $7900 for the Valentino

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 2/16/12 5:51 AM

It is a really nice almost $8000.00 dress! But for maybe about $2000.00 or less you could get a pretty nice embroidery machine, and make your own free standing lace and piece it together in even 5" by 7" inch hhop sized segments and hoopfulls to make the lace overlay on that dress. Done that way, there would be no lace wastage, on left over cut off pieces of some very expensive lace, and pretty easy to have it in color you wanted. It would take a lot of sewing out time though, just for the lace, and then afterwards peicing it all together with zig zag, but if you did it each evening while watching TV or a movie or such for maye 3 or 4 few hours each time, I think it could be done in a few weeks of doing that :)

Also would use up just ton's of embroidery thread, but if you bought your embroidery thread to do that with, on the large more commercial 7000 meter sized cones, rather than the little dinky more home use kind of 1000 meter or yard thread spools, then the thread to embroider all the lace in that dress, however you wished, would just be getting a lot cheaper at that point. Then you still would have to underline it though, but done those ways, I think you could actually have a comparable dress, for maybe a few hundred dollars or less, plus the embroidery machine, and it would cost still under $2,200 or so, for both, and the machine is still there later on too, to make make more ongoing with stuff with too.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 7:07 AM

Wow! That is some beautiful lace. But who would ever pair those shoes with it?? I think they are atrocious.
I say get the machine and make the dress!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 7:36 AM

WHat was the stylist thinking with those shoes? Unless she/he was looking for a diametric opposite... Yuck no matter how you look at it!

And, no, I won't be wearing those shoes as Mother-of-the-Bride.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 7:42 AM

Or save with lace on bodice only and maybe an applique on one side of skirt hem?

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
TX USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 2/16/12 8:50 AM

Can I just say how much you guys ROCK!?!

My question posed was rhetorical, and of course y'all were on the same wave length as I: buy a fab sewing machine and make the dress - all for less than the RTW version!

I had a dream about this dress last night. I probably won't be able to buy the machine this year - as much as I would love to, so I would probably have to buy lace fabric. I am seriously considering trying something similar. Our 8th anniversary is coming up, I'm hoping we eat at a hoity-toity fancy schmancy "yay meat!" restaurant and I'd like to wear something like this. In this wonderful deep red.

Which leads me to MaryDB: I KNEW there HAD to be a similar pattern that could be used! Girl you ROCK for that link!!!

I've book marked this thread for all of the great ideas.

As for the shoes, I was SO enamored by the dress I hadn't even noticed the shoes. Seriously. Then another friend pointed out to me it had pockets. POCKETS! Bonus!

I dunno why, but I decided to check out the Nieman Marcus (Needless Markup? ) site last night and was simply boggled at the prices at the clothing. eesh! I shop at humble little Kohl's and Macy's. I can see now why making one's own GOOD QUALITY clothing IS worth it when you compare it to places like Nieman Marcus.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 2/16/12 8:54 AM

sewing machine you know the teach the man to fish story. For the price of one dress you could make hundreds.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to jynclr

Date: 2/16/12 1:21 PM

I like to look at the "premier designer" clothes on the Saks and Neiman's websites for inspiration and then try to knock them off for a tiny fraction of the original price. If a tailored wool jacket costs $2,500 (and some of them do), I can sew my own version for $50 or less. Same with handbags. Remember it costs no more to be inspired by the best.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> This dress

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

McCall's 6078

photo
by: chebre

Review
Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Buy Now
SewBaby Baby Doll Puppet Pattern

SewBaby  Baby Doll Puppet  Pattern

Buy Now
Studio Cherie Summer Clutch

photo
by: ggf2005

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.