SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > fitting trouser problems ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
fitting trouser problems
tamuchick02
star
tamuchick02
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 7/28/09
Send Message

Date: 2/19/12 8:26 PM

Can somebody help me figure out what is going on here? I have been sewing, checking and ripping for the whole afternoon and I cannot get them to fit right!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to tamuchick02

Date: 2/19/12 10:13 PM

You'll get lots of help here. While you are waiting for others to come to your rescue there is a group of threads that you can easily pull up with pictures and follow through to solution with the same problems.

And, looks like you are off to a good start here with not as many beginning problems as you might have had.

In the search function, search these two words with the words strung together with no space in between

pants thread

You will not need to fill in the name of the poster, just leave that blank.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to tamuchick02

Date: 2/20/12 0:44 AM

My guess is that there's too much excess fabric right below your bottom before the leg of the pant. You picture looks very similar to the right leg on this picture but not to that degree. Try pinning it up like its shown on the left leg. You'll pin more fabric in the middle and taper to the side seam and crotch seam. If this does fix it, unfortunately is not an alternation that can be made on the fashion fabric. You'll have to recut the back pant pieces.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 5:21 AM

Back crotch extension is too short. Add length there and the fabric will relax.

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 1:15 PM

I ditto Lena.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

clumsyFingers
clumsyFingers  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 2:14 PM

There appear to be a few problems.

1. The bubble at mid-butt (the hip line) looks like you attempted to change the angle of the back crotch seam. That's almost never a good idea. Leave the crotch seam alone unless you really know pattern making. If the waist is gaping, take out the excess fabric through darts at the back waist seam. Try one about 4 inches away (on both sides) from the back crotch seam. If you have a full butt (like me), take another dart even closer to the back crotch seam. (You probably only need one on each side though.)

2. The wrinkles under the butt syndrome. You can extend the back hook (where the crotch seam meets the inseam) and that can help wrinkling but it puts even more fabric there and gives you more of a full trouser look. If you want more of a fitted pant look, take the dart out as the earlier poster suggested.

I'm no professional, but I've had both these problems and that's what helped me.

-- Edited on 2/21/12 2:19 PM --

clumsyFingers
Intermediate
Member since 12/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 2:27 PM

Also, check out these webcasts by Peggy Sagers of Silhouette Patterns. I have no affiliation with her, but her fitting videos are fantastic--just found them this weekend myself. There are two on fitting pants and one on fitting jeans, and you'll find a demo of the dart fix for the wrinkles under the butt in all three videos.

Silhouette Pattern webcasts

julie w
star
julie w
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/25/06
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 6:32 PM

Not intending to butt (pardon the pun) in but this may help others with a similar problem:
For the people that use the dart fix ala Silhouette patterns, how do you then make the front and back inseams match. I did hear Peggy say to continue to the front leg but what if there is no excess there? Do you add further down the leg say hem or below the knee or do you stretch the top section of the inseam as Sandra Betzina does in her fast fit book? A conundrum I have been playing with this week.

------
Julie, Perth, WA

clumsyFingers
Intermediate
Member since 12/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 7:13 PM

That's a good question. Peggy does say to always make sure to make the seams match, so if you do the dart in back, do a similar dart in front. She's industry trained, and I think Sandra has more of a home sewer background like most of us.

I've always stretched the back to match. It's such a minor amount usually, that I think it probably doesn't matter. Has anyone tried both?

tamuchick02
star
tamuchick02
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 7/28/09
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 7:39 PM

Thank you everybody!

The wrinkle in the butt was me attempting to take in the crotch a bit- I have since removed it. :)

i will give the other suggestions a try this weekend.

I was trying to make denim trousers, but it seems as though it will be my downfall!!!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> fitting trouser problems

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

brerrabbit.com 4800

photo
by: SuzyBee

Review
Favorite Things Mama Mia Pattern

Favorite Things Mama Mia Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern

SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.