SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Beautiful Nightgowns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Beautiful Nightgowns
What are your favorite beautiful nightgown patterns?
maeve100

maeve100
California USA
Member since 2/19/10
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 0:59 AM

Hi there,

Over the few years I have been sewing I have tried to find beautiful nightgown patterns - like vintage peignoir sets - but have always come up short handed. I found this one pattern;

But I can only find it in small and medium. So I got me wondering - what are your favorite dressy nightgown patterns?

I'm interested to see what everyone has to say!
Liz

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 1:52 AM

There are not as many nightgown and slip and underwear patterns as there used to be in previous decades, right now instead. Even though I think Kwik Sew might have the best selection now maybe. But back in in the 1970's and 1980's pattern date range, they seemed to be much more popular and unique and more of them, in just in number even, from all the Major pattern companies.

My favorite ones most times are just the Butterick Young Designer ones, put out with Licensing between "John Kloss" the Designer and Butterick way back then most times. Those are 1970's patterns. Those are all still very current looking, and still in style, (not too covered up though most times, and instead more draped and low necked if that is what you want) as Nightgowns don't change all that much per decades at all. Also I noticed that current Kwick Sew, has two even right now, current, that match up pretty well to a few sold by Victoria Secrets right now too. One of those is sort of a filmy baby doll shortie with open front and matching bikini bottom, and the other is more a short slip with a hip ruffle.

I can't remember which Major pattern company it was, but there was a time that one of the big 4, also went in with Lanz (the company that makes those labeled long flannel night gowns that were so popular) and they used to have "Lanz" Licensed patterns for those too.

Also some more 1980's patterns from McCalls when they used to have a lot more of the Laura Ashley Licensed patterns available in the McCalls catalog, that actually did just pretty much exactly match up to all clothes including all the nightgowns sold in the Laura Ashley shops, there were quite a few Laura Ashley/McCalls ones back then, most times a night gown with a matching robe.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to maeve100

Date: 2/20/12 2:07 AM

Also just look at all the current and older Vouge evening gown patterns, as lots of the time, if they are not too structured in construction, the only difference between some of those worn as a "Evening Gown" v.s more a "night gown", particular if you want something elegant and long and drape-able, is just sometimes the actual fabric choice, in that the fabric would be thinner and better off not wrinkling easy, if you made them as for a nightgown instead.

paloverde
paloverde  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arizona USA
Member since 10/17/07
Send Message

In reply to maeve100

Date: 2/20/12 3:09 AM

My mother made a silk nightgown from that pattern for my trousseau back in 1984. Lovely thing and I still have it. It took me a long time to reacquire the pattern (and in a larger size) when I started collecting vintage patterns a few years ago.
As for lovely nightgowns, some of the most beautiful (and pricey) are from the 1930s. The ones from 1940s and '50s can be almost as beautiful and easier to find. I also agree that John Kloss' Butterick patterns from the 1970s are nicely designed and that Kwik Sew has put out a number of really nice ones through the years. Current designs of any worth or flair are practically non-existent.

sewbehind
star
sewbehind
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 10:07 AM

There is a nice peignoir set by Hot Patterns that is available. I bought it but have not made it up.
Helen

A Beginners Needle
star
A Beginners Needle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/3/09
Send Message

In reply to maeve100

Date: 2/21/12 12:33 PM

There was recently a ruby slip sew along on this blog:

http://buzzybeesworld.blogspot.com/p/sew-alongs.html

She created the pattern herself and has detailed sewing instructions.

------
Tina

In my Sewing Room:
Pfaff Creative Performance - Pfurple!
Juki F600
Brother PRW420
Juki 735 Serger

redhotpepper
star
redhotpepper  Friend of PR
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to maeve100

Date: 2/22/12 7:12 PM

Try the collectibles section on eBay. There are a lot of vintage nightgown patterns.

Annie

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo

Date: 2/22/12 8:34 PM

I was wondering which two of the Kwik Sew resemble the Victoria Secret. I am very out of touch with what is in there but the adult daughters love getting things from there and one is after me to make her her some new sleepwear so I know she'd love a similar style to the store brand.
Not all that dressy I guess but 1812 kwik sew is almost identical to an expensive branded gown one daughter bought and the fabric was really inferior. I haven't sewn a trial one yet from it for the daughter that is wanting gowns but it must happen soon. I am really glad this topic came up.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy

Date: 2/22/12 8:54 PM

Quote: mssewcrazy
I was wondering which two of the Kwik Sew resemble the Victoria Secret. I am very out of touch with what is in there but the adult daughters love getting things from there and one is after me to make her her some new sleepwear so I know she'd love a similar style to the store brand.

Not all that dressy I guess but 1812 kwik sew is almost identical to an expensive branded gown one daughter bought and the fabric was really inferior. I haven't sewn a trial one yet from it for the daughter that is wanting gowns but it must happen soon. I am really glad this topic came up.

Oh my goodness; you have not seen the Lekala nighties? They are as close as you will get to Victoria's Secret.

Melissa at fehrtrade has kindly posted instructions for ordering these patterns.
mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 2/23/12 11:35 AM

No this is a new link for me. I am into the granny gown category of life and don't even look at that place. I just give them gift certificates to the Secret place-guess I need to get up to date. I will study the link and the Feh trade instructions. Thanks for the links. If I make anything for them anymore I make sure I know it is something that they want/love/can't really find to buy as I know I am out of touch with this sort of trend. For a while we were getting vet daughter's VS catalogs and dh said one was so racy on the cover he thought it was a play boy mag. He said the playboy mags of his era had the models with more on than the cover of that one. Lol! I definitely need VS look alike links to patterns as I am clueless. Lol!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Beautiful Nightgowns

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2007-115

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Victory Roxanne Paper Pattern

Victory Roxanne Paper Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6700

photo
by: Naehfreund...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.