SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > dryer vent cleaned ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
dryer vent cleaned
Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 1:05 PM

We just had our dryer vent cleaned by a local company and we are glad we had it done. The house is 11 years old. We are the 5th owners and we have owned the house for 2 years.

I had good air flow from the dryer out to the outside, so I did not give it much through until recently. The run must be 25 feet from the dryer to the outside. That is a long one.

The air flow coming out the vent was not a problem. What concerned me was nothing came out the vent when the dryer was on. Something should come out. I keep the inside of my dryer clean, and the outside flapper as clean as I could. I just did not know why hardly anything came out and it began to bug me. There are just the 2 of us, so not that much laundry is being done. Still, we are the 5th owners and it probably has never been done before.

When they cleaned it out, you should have seen the stuff just blow out! We had the empty dryer going to force the air out. They put their cleaning wands in from outside. At the end was a thing that spins, as it is attached to a portable drill for power. I had "lint snow" all over the place near the house. I had no idea so much lint was caught in the long dryer vent to the outside. It was several inches deep, too.

The cost of the service (and a good nights sleep) was $75 plus tax.

They recommed cleaning it out yearly. I will certainly do this again next year.

If you have not had this done to your home, I would strongly recommend you have it cleaned out. You will be amazed at how much lint comes out. Dryer lint causes fires. Better safe than sorry. I am glad I made the call.

Learn

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 1:51 PM

And the longer the run, more corners, or using that plastic hose with ridges, the worse the lint builds up. That's one thing I like about our current setup - just the sub straight out the wall, and the cap. Lots of lint stuck in the corners of our deck!

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 10:05 PM

A lot of house fires are started in dryer vents! I had the one cleaned in my last house....the appliance guy used a high power leaf blower ( minus the extension). Like you, it looked like snow on the ground....

Need to get this house done....it has been four years.

We have a local company that does the work. The smaller brushes don't really clean the lines

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 2/21/12 7:49 AM

You're very smart to have it cleaned out! Is the hose/vent from dryer to outside made of the plastic stuff, or the shiny metal stuff? That plastic type can catch fire much faster. If it is flexible type, either plastic or metallic foil type, it can sag and that is where a lot of lint can collect. For a 25 ft run, I think the hard "stove pipe" type vent duct is supposed to be the best.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 9:58 AM

Where I work I know the dryer vents are full of lint, but management will not do anything about it. It takes 1.5 hours to dry 10 aprons, even longer to dry bar rags.

The hose goes straight up about 18 feet, I think it goes right through the roof, but it may run horizontally another 15 feet to the exterior wall.

The lint trap has holes in it, it does collect a huge amount of lint from the bar rags, but I am sure as much is stuck in the hose.

At a previous work place, the dryer was beside the wall, so the hose was only about 4 feet long. It went outside on the second level of the exterior wall. There was no cap or flap. Some birds came along a decided to build a nest.

At home we had to replace the hose on our dryer. It was amazing how much lint was in the dryer itself. They should be made to have easy access to clean it out.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 2/21/12 11:38 AM

Thank you so much for posting this. I've been wanting to get some one out here to clean our vent. My lint has to travel a long way and takes a few turns on the journey. How did you find the company to do this? I know you can get professionals to clean your chimney, but I've never heard of someone who specializes in dryer lint

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to JTink

Date: 2/21/12 12:22 PM

We first started at Servicemaster. Go to their site and see what they have to offer. We love them and will use them again and again, as they are a referral service.

Then I asked for referrals for duct work, which is going to happen today. Yeah, our house will have enough ducts in the right places to keep us warm and cool. My cooktop has a down vent that lets in cold from outside. He is going to fix this for me with a baffle, so only when the exhust fan is on will air go out and not come back in anymore. It made the kitchen cold near the cooktop! He also is putting a new flapper and screen on it, so no animal can get inside. We do have problems with mice now and then... This is in addition to the new vent.

Anyway, the man I chose to do the duct work is friends at church with another man who owns a duct cleaning company. I called him and enjoyed talking to him, so I set it up. The entire house will have the ducts done after the new run is installed today. I NEVER set up any apt with someone I do not like to talk to. Period.
(sorry, I got to rambling...)

After it was done, which took 20 minutes, he told me my dryer would be 20% more efficient now. Just imagine how much more efficient yours will be when you have it all done. My dryer did not run overly long or hard, but it is only 4 and I want it to last a long, long time. I love my dryer and never want another.

As I had said, no lint was coming out the vent and that is not right, so I had it checked. I could have had a fire, just with the amount that came out yesterday. It does not take much to cause a fire.
-- Edited on 2/21/12 12:46 PM --

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 12:30 PM

This topic is also a good reminder....never leave your washer/especially dryer running when you leave the house.....we have all been tempted, I am sure!

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

In reply to dresscode

Date: 2/22/12 3:45 AM

This is excellent advice. I think so many people won't leave the dryer running but think nothing about leaving the washer going. When I lived in a dorm room a few years ago ( it was apartment style with a washer and dryer) there would others living there who didn't know there was a lint trap!!!! These people were in their early twenties! I guess when you don't know there is a lint trap you can't expect them to know that powdered laundry detergent doesn't go into a front loading washer,lol.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 2/22/12 8:14 AM

Thank you Learn. I'm going to go check out Servicemaster. You were not rambling. You were passing along some good suggestions.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> dryer vent cleaned

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

New Look 6557

photo
by: Sew Melbou...

Review

Pattern

McCall's 6193

photo
by: ChrisS

Review
Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.