SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Web site Talk > Etsy ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Etsy
Anyone made purchases from abroad?
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 7:54 PM

I want to purchase a PDF pattern from a quilter with an Etsy store. She is based in the Netherlands. I know that I will get an email linked with the PDF pattern but I have never purchased outside the US... anyone have experience with this? Words of advise?

Building Houses from Scraps

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/20/12 9:17 PM

I recently ordered one from the country as well. I got it in the middle of the night in my time, but it worked fine, was in English and printed like it was supposed to.
-- Edited on 2/20/12 9:17 PM --

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 2/20/12 10:26 PM

I have not purchased at this particular store, but I do purchase patterns and other items from outside the states, and I've never had any issues with etsy stores. Also, I do notice that her feedback, though small, is 100% positive.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33

Date: 2/21/12 9:41 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I am not really worried about the actual purchase but rather what happens to my credit card. I purchased a used book from ABE Books last year and it turns out they are a Canadian company. No problem there but I was charged a fee on my credit card because it was an international transaction. The price for the item I want to buy is reflected in Euros and in US dollars so I don't think the fee was related to a conversion or exchange of international money. The fee I paid was not that much but my DH does want me to make it a habit so we don't incur unnecessary fees.

So I wonder if this fee is normal or specific to my credit card company?

------

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 9:49 PM

Quote:
recently ordered one from the country as well. I got it in the middle of the night in my time, but it worked fine, was in English and printed like it was supposed to.

Elaina, did you order the little house block pattern?

------

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 10:43 PM

No, I ordered from another place in Holland. As to the charges, I pay with PayPal hooked into the bank account, and didn't have any other fees with it, which is why I use it since my credit card will also charge a fee that I can avoid with PP.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 2/21/12 11:02 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. Well I have been avoiding Paypal so I suppose I could ether set up an account with them or draft the pattern myself. It really isn't that difficult to do. Thanks for your help.

------

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 2/21/12 11:42 PM

Ahhhh! I generally use paypal. I like that I have 45 days to report a problem, and they also allow pay after delivery.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/22/12 10:47 AM

My job pays me via PP, so I don't have a choice. I did avoid it for years until that.

Now I shop all over the net, much to my pocketbook's chagrin.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 2/22/12 10:55 AM

My DIL ordered 2 yards fabric from an Etsy vendor in Korea and it took almost two months to arrive. Her emails to inquire about delivery were not answered so my DIL didn't know whether to cancel payment and buy the fabric elsewhere. Although it finally did arrive, two months is WAY too long for delivery of a small package like that - with no explanation. Proceed with caution...that is all I can say. But for a download, of course, it would be a different story.

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Etsy

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Kwik Sew 2952

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2012-145

photo
by: manola6176

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.