SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Do You Sell Your Quilts ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do You Sell Your Quilts
What size do you make?
rebe
star
rebe  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/28/05
Send Message

Date: 2/22/12 9:23 PM

Hi,

Do you sell your quilts and what size do you make?
And how much do your charge? Do you make your customers buy the fabrics?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Rebecca

------
Rebecca Pitts
Bernina 430
Singer xl-6000
Singer 9960
Babylock Imagine
Elna 740 Excellence
Ellisimo

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to rebe

Date: 2/24/12 7:52 AM

I have , baby crib size or wall hanging size. I have sold them at craft fair . However most people do not realize the time, cost & thought involved in making a quilt. So most people want to talk you way way down in price. I had prices like $35 & 45 last time & people wanted to pay $10 .... uh NO ...... Remember at craft fairs you also have to offset the cost of having to pay for the booth or table & usually you are there all day working the booth too.
I did one almost twin size quilt for one of DH former co-workers she never paid at all... so I think if I were to do that again I would ask for a deposit.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

Date: 2/24/12 9:02 AM

I agree that most people have no idea the time involved and I also think a deposit is a great idea.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to rebe

Date: 2/24/12 9:12 AM

I haven't done a lot for sale but did 3 on commission. I will never do it again that's for sure. But I got all money for materials up front. That way at least your cash outlay is covered if there is a problem. I've had people approach me but when they found out how much I charged they weren't interested. That's why it's very hard making any real money for sewing for other people whether is be making a quilt or making a dress. It usually not worth the hassle.

On a side bar:
I think some of us think of selling, I know I did at one time, our quilts as a way of validating the purpose for our work and hobby. So if we can put a decent dollar figure on it then we don't have to feel guilty about the time and money that go into this hobby. You don't have to validate anything if you like and enjoy it it's worth every penny and every minute you put into it for your own pleasure. Thee is no dollar amount you can put on that. Makes no difference what other people think. We live so much of our lives thinking about what other people think. We shouldn't life is just too short.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 2/24/12 9:23 AM

I do not sell, "I can get a bed quilt for 50.00 at TJMAXX". I tell them enjoy your shopping experience....

Seriously, the 2 times i have sold baby quilts, it barely covered the cost of the material with both ladies being on fixed incomes.

People do not understand that I am not running a domestic based sweatshop, there is no foreign outsourced labor here, and I am worth more than 10 cents an hr. I make beautiful gifts with a lot of love.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 2/24/12 10:39 AM

Commercial quilts are made by companies who buy fabric by the bargeload and pay people a dollar a day. What most people want to pay won't even cover the cost of the fabric for someone who can't by it wholesale.

Edited for typos
-- Edited on 2/24/12 10:39 AM --

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 2/24/12 11:27 AM

Quote: Sewwolf
I will never do it again that's for sure. But I got all money for materials up front. That way at least your cash outlay is covered if there is a problem. I've had people approach me but when they found out how much I charged they weren't interested. That's why it's very hard making any real money for sewing for other people whether is be making a quilt or making a dress. It usually not worth the hassle.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about sewing for others. NO MORE.

I only made dresses for special friends, they paid for all materials upfront, and I charged them a small fee for my labor. Since they were friends they were at my house a lot and they were surprised at how much work is involved. I don't have the patience or the focus anymore to go through all that work for someone else.

No WAY would I sew for strangers.

------
Cathryn

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 2/24/12 11:29 AM

I think this is why many quilters end up selling patterns, writing books or teaching classes. They make more money than selling the actual quilts.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to fabrictherapy

Date: 2/24/12 11:35 AM

Quote: fabrictherapy
People do not understand that I am not running a domestic based sweatshop, there is no foreign outsourced labor here, and I am worth more than 10 cents an hr. I make beautiful gifts with a lot of love.

YES YES YES.

People do NOT understand how labor intensive it is to make something original from scratch that FITS them perfectly.

They don't get it that EVERY little picec of that quilt had to be cut out and sewn.

I had people get really big attitudes when I would give them a price for a solo dance costume, plust they had to buy the fabric.

They expect you to drive to the fabric store to pick out fabrics, make the pattern, then a muslin if it's a really tricky design, do all the fittings, make it fit perfectly, for around $1 an hour.

Um, that would be a big NO thanks.

I woudl not even consider making a qult for someone unless I REALLY liked them a lot. Then I would only do it of they were willing to help.

------
Cathryn

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 2/24/12 1:43 PM

I belong to 2 quilt guilds. When I was at one as a fairly new member, another guild lady showed a quilt where the new owner did the fabric picking (and she was all apologetic), sorry I am not going to be responsible for a fabric eyesore....it is an insult to the fabric....

I also make garments. I only make garments for a select number of people. I cannot imagine making custom wearables for perfect strangers, w/out a lot of grief, suffering and misery. There is not enough pay for that, dealing with folks who don't know garment construction.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Do You Sell Your Quilts

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Burda 7255

photo
by: Graca

Review
McCall's 6139

photo
by: lgray1

Review
Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Buy Now
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.