SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > New TV Sewing Shows? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New TV Sewing Shows?
It's Sew Easy and Sew It all
mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 2/23/12 1:05 AM

It's Sew EAsy

Sew It All

I just saw this on the brother.com website. I haven't seen either show. Has anyone else?

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 2/23/12 5:08 AM

I just that they would replay all Shirley Adams "Sewing Connection. While the styles might be dated, the techniques would be right on. I miss the shows that show sewing techniques for apparel. Most don't any longer! BooHoo!!!

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 8/8/07
Send Message

Date: 2/23/12 7:41 AM

I can't get It's Sew Easy sadly here, and I don't want to shell out to buy the seasons unless they're super helpful/relevant to my garment sewing.

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to mastdenman

Date: 2/23/12 8:52 AM

I haven't seen either on the PBS schedule here, but the Sew It All link you provided is very nice. If you click on the episodes, it provides the downloads for patterns used, the directions to make the project, guests, and even the machines used in that episode.
Most of the projects seem to be from Sew News magazine, but at quick glance, seems to be a mix of wearables and crafty things....
Off to check out the other one...
Thanx for the links..

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Elizabeth made this
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/23/12 10:57 AM

It's Sew Easy is not that great. The regulars blow through the demos. Occasionally they bring in someone who is an expert and these are good viewing.

One, demo I had an issue with showed slitting the center position of a pant hem for easing. Here is the link to the program and the video I questioned.

Watch Sewing with Nancy and a couple more at this link.

Haven't seen a Shirley Adams prgram in years. I got bored with it as all she showed was what she had done, but not the details for how to do it.

-- Edited on 2/23/12 11:09 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ

Date: 2/23/12 12:02 PM

The one thing they do not show enough of is the close ups. They show them, but what they are sewing is usually done about that time. I have learned a little from the show. I used to record it and now do not.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 2/23/12 1:37 PM

I still record, watch and hope it gets better. Show 208 was much better than most I have seen.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/23/12 1:59 PM

I've seen Sew It All on PBS. It's a nice show, geared toward beginners and those interested in crafts, remaking items into clothing, or decorating RTW. Not unlike many of the sewing and needlework books are lately it seems.

My favorites - Sewing with Nancy and Shirley Adams. I remember seeing Sandra Betzina when she had a show on HGTV, if I recall correctly it seemed like she rushed thru a lot of things. Sue Hauseman - last I saw of her shows, it seemed more like a comercial for Viking sewing machines, and tended toward quilts and crafts. If it did wander into clothing, it was usually showing an embroidery machine and then using it to embellish a garment, not garment making from scratch. And then there is/were a number of quilting-only shows.

It seems to me that other than Sewing With Nancy, most shows gloss over the details. I can't say how many times I've heard something to the effect of "just do this, then do this, and there are more details on our web site." I do have to wonder how much of that is due to the shows producers, and not the host though.

DolphinDancer30

DolphinDancer30  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

Date: 2/23/12 5:01 PM

Sew It All did have Sarai Mitnick, the Colette pattern lady on her show. Episode 208, I think.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/23/12 10:54 PM

I really liked Sandra Betzina's shows too.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> New TV Sewing Shows?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Simplicity 2745

photo
by: bconky

Review
Other GertiesBook

photo
by: Bex81

Review
Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.