SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Where can I find 3/4" black snaps? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Where can I find 3/4" black snaps?
Substitute for buttons
NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 2/26/12 1:20 AM

I'm working on a jacket in raw silk. The weave is loose so I'm afraid of doing a stitched button hole. There are 9 buttons so I'm not excited about doing a bound button hole. My plan at the moment is to use a black snap as a substitute for buttons. I've found a Dritz 1/2" black snaps that I really like but can't find them in a larger size. Any ideas on where I can find these? Or any ideas on other fastening options.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 2/26/12 1:24 AM

The jacket sounds nice.

Are these what you are looking for? Snapsource - 5/8" snaps

-- Edited on 2/26/12 1:26 AM --

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to treefrog

Date: 2/26/12 1:25 AM

Like that but in a 3/4" size. Size 20 is 1/2".

------

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 2/26/12 10:50 AM

Size 24 is the largest size for regular snaps. But why don't you take a scrap of your raw silk fabric and see if you can do a sample buttonhole. Use interfacing on the reverse side and apply Fray Check on the front before you cut the buttonhole open.

Another option would be to sew a bound buttonhole with a small amount of Ultrasuede or other fabric for the lips.

Or you might want to use a 3/4" size sew in snap. Here's a photo (the snaps are towards the bottom of the page), but they are ordinary Dritz snaps that you can find at Hancock's or Joann's.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

hornlinechick
hornlinechick
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 1/6/06
Send Message

Date: 2/26/12 11:56 AM

The ones you are looking for are size 10 snaps. They come in black and nickel. I have found these at both JoAnns and Hancocks as well as several places online. If they have the possibility of being seen you may want to cover them. (Basicaly making a yo-yo around them before sewing them on and when you close them, the center gets punched out.) HTH
-Michelle

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Subject: Where can I find 3/4 black snaps? Date: 2/26/12 1:12 PM

Seems like the consensus is that I won't be able to find a non- sew on type snap in the size that I need. I'll test some button hole options as nancy2001 has suggested. Or I may use the sew on snap, maybe the clear nylon type and put a fake button on the front of the jacket to get the right look.

------

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 2/26/12 1:44 PM

Check here:
Hancock Fabric

I had to include sew on, or sew-on in the search to get results.

When working with the flat side of the snap with the protruding nipple, I've had very good success with using the wrong (rounded) end of a needle to ease in a small hole in the weave of the fabric. Then I push the snap nipple up through that hole before stitching. If you apply that portion of the snap like this, you'll want to cut a very small hole in the interfacing where you ease open the little hole in the weave of the fabric.

The concept is to reduce the bulk at the opening so it does not interfere with the grip of the snap. At the same time, you'll want a bit of reinforcement to the fabric to support the stitches to the snap and distribute the stress on the fabric when opening and closing the garment.

The above will often allow you to hide all but the nipple of the snap bottom within the facing. And, of course, this is the time to use your neatest hand stitching when sewing the snap bottom. Note, the garment fabric does not need to be cut for this, sometimes it just takes a little patience to wiggle the nipple through the opening.

So, typically, I only cover the dimpled, receiving end of the snap.

On lighter garments, I've been using the clear snaps, just more than I might use if I was using larger snaps. Either more snaps vertically, or running a double row of snaps in the originally suggested spacing. And I use the same approach with the clear snaps, easy the dimple through the weave of the fabric.

I haven't ever torn out a snap or had a wardrobe malfunctions.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 2/26/12 2:06 PM

Sorry, I hadn't realized you were trying for a non-sewn button.

By all means, you can stitch on a button with the dimpled half of the snap sewn directly to the other side of the fabric. You can even sew in a buttonhole that never gets cut open.

Check this blog:
The Savvy Sewer Salon at Sawyer Brook
It took about 9 'page down' commands on my computer to get to the Sunday, September 11, post about buttonholes on a raw silk jacket. You may be interested in the discussion of 'buttonhole windows'.

And, an additional little article on different buttonholes just for fun:
Unconventional Buttonholes, Threads

And just because I can't resist:
Bound Buttohole Tutorial from Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing
I noticed a note that Gertie plans on releasing her first sewing book this fall.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 2/26/12 3:07 PM

I love the suggestions, keep them coming. Here's my jacket at the moment. It has kimono sleeves, a hood and front edge is curved. The front edge has a facing and the fabric is fused with a tricot interfacing.

Right now I'm leaning towards using the snaps like the 1/2" Dritz ones in my original post or the 5/8" ones that treefrog suggested. Since these are smaller than what I need I was thinking I would add an embellishment under the snap but on top of the fashion fabric to make it look bigger. I also like hiding snap in the facing with only the nipple stick out so that its not noticeable when its "unbottoned". Even better if I use a black snap and it happens to be in a spot where the fabric is black also.

------

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh

Date: 2/26/12 9:23 PM

Your jacket is really pretty. Are your sure it needs buttons? What about knots made from your edging fabric?

Or, a small number of hidden snaps and a skinny little belt made from the edging?

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Where can I find 3/4" black snaps?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Simplicity 2443

photo
by: Sue Parrot...

Review
The City Bag

The City Bag

More Info
Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.