Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > $300 for a binder attachement??! Oh..NOW I understand... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
$300 for a binder attachement??! Oh..NOW I understand...
Nyreth
Nyreth
Member since 5/28/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/26/12 9:27 PM

Yep, now I understand how Bernina thinks they can get away with charging what (IMHO) is an exorbitant price for their bias binders.

I've bought #85 before, and loaned it to a friend before I had a chance to really try it. She said it was awful (and to be fair, the nice folks at the Bernina shop tried to warn me off of it, but I was stubborn), so I returned it and got the edgestitch #10 foot and the button sew on foot #18 (I don't like sewing on buttons).

I figured I would just come up with some other solution to the binding game. Well after pinning, stitching, bleeding, folding, pinning, bleeding some more, stitching, restitching missed areas and finally ending up with a a binding with a weeble wobble stitch line and that is OBVIOUSLY not even on both sides I'm so frustrated I could throw something. However, over $300 for a binder, PER SIZE, just isn't realistic. If I could use it and make more than one size, I could swing it; but paying that much and knowing I will be that limited just makes me mad.

So...had anyone recently bought a generic or other brand bias binder for the current Bernina's that works? I'm ok with buying the #94 or #95 feet.

I know there are other threads on this already but my browser is acting up and I can't get to most of them. The auctions are all expired and the pages have been deleted on the few pages I can access that have links where people have bought ones that worked. I tried the Berninacentral forum site, same story.

I also know you can sew them on by hand...but honestly, if a giant magic meanie fairy told me I could either sew the binding on by hand or she could stomp on my toe and it would magically be done for me, I'd stick my foot out. Actually, at this rate, that goes for trying to sew the binding on with my machine but without an amazing binder attachment gizmo as well.
(Sorry if this this got a bit too rant-ish.)
(Edited for typos.)
-- Edited on 2/26/12 9:31 PM --

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 7/28/04

Date: 2/26/12 9:31 PM

What does #85 do....and why did your friend think it was awful?

Nyreth
Nyreth
Member since 5/28/10

Date: 2/26/12 9:44 PM

This is #85:
http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n25-i40-sUS.html

My friend (who is much, much more experienced than me), said that unless the fabric you were putting the binding on was really stiff that it slipped out of the attachment and didn't stitch the binding down properly. And that even if you could get it started correctly, it generally went askew and stitched poorly anyway. The people at the Bernina shop said that they "weren't happy with the results" they got when they tried to use it as well, but they didn't elaborate. They really tried hard to talk me out of getting it.

This is the +$300 attachment #84 for unfolded bias tape:
http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n25-i38-sUS.html
That one is supposed to be the cat's meow and there is another version for prefolded tape.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Nyreth
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/26/12 9:48 PM

I so feel your pain, as I too

Quote:
pinned, stitched, bled, folded, pinned, bled some more, stitched, restitched missed areas
I don't own a Bernina, mostly for the exorbitant prices for feet (a walking foot is about $45, and I refuse to pay that amount). But I came up with a solution to attach your binding.

1. Make your strip 2.5" wide, then fold it in half.
2. Sew it on in the usual fashion, but sew it on the front and fold it over to the back.
3. Use the stitching line on the front, as it shows on the back, as a guideline to place the fold just a skosh (a little bit) below the stitching line on the back and pin in place.
4. Use monofilament thread if you wish, on the front, and stitch in the ditch, from the front. Don't stitch off the corners, but rather stitch to them, because it's the corners that will throw your binding off, and make you so frustrated you will want to toss your quilt.
5. Restitch the corners, or hand stitch them down, when you are finished.

So many people I know are amazed at this method; they had been stitching their binding with a zigzag stitch, which sometimes looks nice and sometimes doesn't, and sometimes don't catch the fold underneath. But if you place that fold just a tad below that stitching line, it will work for you--guaranteed.

And..I never ever use a binder attachment...That little gizmo, no matter how inexpensive it is for the machines I have, NEVER works right!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02

Date: 2/26/12 10:01 PM

$300 for an attachment???? I expect to get several entire working sewing machines for that price! OK, I'll admit that I'm not Bernina's target customer, because I am too cheap to even contemplate their prices for their products, especially when I can do the job better with skills acquired over years of practice. (But I do own a Bernina, a 731 that was gifted to me from the estate of a friend's aunt - that's the only way I could ever justify one.)

Bed mounted binder attachments, such as the #84 you linked to, have been standard accessories for industrial machines for most of the past 100 yrs, maybe more. And for those applications, they cost a fraction of what Bernina is charging.

Since this is a quilting forum, and since I have bound probably hundreds of quilts over the past 20 years, I think I can state that this gadget is quite useless for the serious quilter. Also for any quilter whose works have corners. Machine finished bindings NEVER look as good as hand finished ones, and quilt show judges really dislike them, for that reason. However, it is much easier to learn to do the handwork than it is to learn to use a binder attachment successfully (or to make one go around a corner). My students get very nice looking hand-finished bindings on their first quilts.

Sewing machine companies like Bernina are selling dreams - if you buy their line, you must really believe that if you spend enough money, you can completely by-pass the learning of real tangible skills.

Jennifer in Calgary

Nyreth
Nyreth
Member since 5/28/10

Date: 2/26/12 10:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Miss Fairchild. That is similar to what I was trying to do on the last section of the binding, but without the monofilament. That's a great idea and I will try that. At least then the mistakes won't be so obvious.

$45 for the walking foot...where did you see it at that price?? It's $200 where I live for the new 3 sole one. I was doing the Snoopy Dance around my living room in excitement over finding a used two sole version for $77 on ebay.

I know I shouldn't really whine. This is my second Bernina and I did my homework ahead of time on both so I knew what I was getting into. The bias binder didn't really seem to matter at the time because I didn't think I would get into quilting (oops). Overall I've been really happy with all of the feet I have gotten so far. In fact the leather roller foot has really saved the day for me several times and I haven't owned it very long.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10

Date: 2/26/12 11:25 PM

Must be crazy. I love doing my bindings by hand. I know not everyone can tolerate that much hand work. Crazy too that I still bought Berninas despite having real sewing skills. Must've missed a memo.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 2/27/12 0:19 AM

I don't have a Bernina, I have Viking that has snap on feet. Viking also have a binder like #85, and the ladies at my store talked me out of it. Instead they suggested a generic binding foot, but it only works with prefolded. I made them demo it before I bought it. It's screw on, so I have to unscrew the ankle on the Viking. It works quite well and I also use it for foldover elastic.generic binding foot

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09

In reply to Maia B

Date: 2/27/12 0:30 AM

Ha! I like to do my bindings by hand too--not happy with the look of them sewn. I bought the dream. I think having beautiful well made tools makes the experience part much more fun--and if I like the tools I'll put in the time to become the experienced sewer I hope to one day be.

I'm thinking that I need to downgrade myself from intermediate. I think you need to UPGRADE!! yourself. I'm' intermediate' here because some instructors laughed at me when I told them I was an advanced beginner and said I was not allowed to say I was a beginner anymore. BUT, I'm CERTAIN I am not at your level.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Nyreth
Nyreth
Member since 5/28/10

In reply to Maia B

Date: 2/27/12 0:39 AM

Quote: Maia B
Must be crazy. I love doing my bindings by hand. I know not everyone can tolerate that much hand work. Crazy too that I still bought Berninas despite having real sewing skills. Must've missed a memo.

MaiaB: I don't think you are crazy, nor do I think anyone else who likes to sew by hand is crazy either! I hope I didn't sound like I thought that, and I apologize if I did. I just don't have the attention span for it. But I really respect the people who do and have an appreciation for the time and skill that goes into it.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> $300 for a binder attachement??! Oh..NOW I understand...

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

McCall's 5510 pjs for girls
photo
Review by chunter on 7/20/10
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern
Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sassy Bag
Sassy Bag

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress, Bloomers, and Playsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-5 )
Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress, Bloomers, and Playsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-5 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)
Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)

Details
Price: $11.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

No Pattern Used Kitchen curtains
photo
Review by sewsunny37 on 9/20/10
Read Review

Simplicity 2165 Pattern ( Size ALL )
Simplicity 2165 Pattern ( Size ALL )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8727 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 8727 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $27.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN