SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > The Academy Awards ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
The Academy Awards
Hello, Oscar!
Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 0:05 AM

What? First thread about the Oscars? I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya!!!

I do love Meryl Streep.

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Al Johnson

Date: 2/27/12 0:08 AM

And the first responder is a guy!

OK, Al; what didja think about the awards, the clothes, the host?

Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 0:20 AM

Truth to tell, I'm not really that into it. I watch sporadically, and tonight I only watched the first and last half hours. I find that more than half of the films mentioned, I never heard of.

So having put out my disclaimers, I'll admit that I used to like Billy Crystal more than I do now. Tim Gunn is as fabulous as ever, and I bow to his judgement on the fashion questions. (See, I'm not really into fashion, either.)

I still love Meryl Streep, though!

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Al Johnson

Date: 2/27/12 0:30 AM

I do think that Crystal is the most skillful, reliable host they have had, but he is an older man now (the hair dye doesn't fool anyone) and I used to find his humor more free and agile than it is these days. It seems rare for comics to stay loose as they age. Still, he can ad-lib and fill in dead time like few others.

Among the lady presenters, Angelina Jolie was the skinniest by many kilos per inch of height. Geez, those poor little arms!

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 9:09 AM

didn't watch most of it just the beginning. Just saw the Help and it only got one award so glad I didn't waste time watching it.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 10:46 AM

This was the most low key Oscars I have seen. People didn't really respond well to Billy, and the hysterical vignette about the focus group for The Wizard of Oz got almost no laughs...it was like the audience was stuporous. I was left entirely cold by the night's leading award getter - The Artist, and so this wasn't my best viewing either. Meryl Streep made it worth staying up until the end though! I was amazed by the way The Help was almost bypassed - what a terrific film that was, what a wonderfully acted story, and what a good time to award it with a whole lot more than it got. I always skip the very superficial discussion of what people wore because who cares, they all looked great to me!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Evita

Evita
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 12:11 PM

I love Meryl Streep...... but why does she always wear the worst dresses ? that gold, long-sleeved number managed once again to hide her nice body under lawers of sparkle. Frumpy, frumpy....

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 2:49 PM

Ditto! I love Meryl too, but she needs a stylist.

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 9:52 PM

I missed it. The local paper doesn't have a TV section any more. Instead, I was watching something on PBS about whales, which was actually pretty interesting.
Saw pictures of Berenice Bejo in a pale green Elie Saab (?) dress that seemed to have some sort of lace overlay. It looked like seafoam. I have no idea who she is, and I have not heard of the designer, but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

In reply to dove29

Date: 2/28/12 11:55 AM

I liked Berenice's dress too but I noticed she made one of the worst dressed lists. They said the color aged her, and in all honesty, watching the show, I assumed she was une femme d'une certain age myself. Seems she's quite young.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> The Academy Awards

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Butterick 5754

photo
by: jannw

Review
Simplicity 4076

photo
by: KateS

Review
Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Buy Now
Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.