SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Questions on Used Bernina 635E ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Questions on Used Bernina 635E
What is a good price & how to tell mfg date?
Steffie
starstar
Steffie
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

Date: 2/27/12 9:36 PM

I am looking for a used Bernina 630e or 635e. I found a 635e but am not sure what a fair price would be... especially considering the machine is being discontinued soon. The machine has low sewing hours (per the photos sent to me by the owner). She also sent me a pic of the back with the serial number... does anyone know how to decipher the age of the machine?

Any tips on buying a used machine? It is in Florida and I am in Michigan, so no viewing in person. Original boxes are not available. Four of the original feet are not included (I will need to price those out, too -- missing the Overlock Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Darning Foot and Teardrop Embroidery Foot)). It includes the embroidery module (which I don't necessarily need) and the BSR which I would like to have. It also includes the optional walking foot which I believe is an expensive additional foot.

My dealer is offering the machine sans embroidery/BSR for $3400, this one used is $3100 which I think is a little high.

Thoughts?

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Steffie

Date: 2/27/12 10:51 PM

The 635 does not come with a BSR unless the dealer makes a package deal. $3400, I think, is an excellent price and you would get a full warranty. I paid $4100 for mine with embroidery unit, no BSR, no other extras. You can always get a BSR on sewitsforsale yahoo group or eBay for about 1/2 the cost. As far as the price for the used one, Bernina's retain their value. The BSR by itself is around $900. Embroidery unit alone is $949. I don't think her price is high, but very reasonable.

The four feet you mention that are not included actually did not come with the 635 but they did come with the 630. I would price them at about $30 each, if not a little higher. When was the last time it was serviced and can she show you a receipt to that effect? Can you get the machine history from her dealer?

The 635 has been out for approx. 2 -3 years tops. Next to the 8 digit serial number that should begin with Ch Nr, is the manufacture date. It will be in year/month format. For instance, if it reads 49/02, that translates to February 2009.

I would caution you with buying used. This is a sewing computer and no warranty will come with the machine. Repair costs could get expensive if any of the computer boards go out. I personally would buy from your dealer. You'll get the full warranty, mastery classes, support which is very important. Of course, if this does not matter to you, then I'd get the used one because the BSR is included. She can always get another box from her dealer for a fee. That is what I would want her to do so you can be assured it is protected during shipping as Bernina intended it to be.

Edited to add: the large oval hoop should come with the machine. I had to buy the medium hoop (more rectangle not oval). I just read her ad and it seems all original accessories/feet are included.
-- Edited on 2/27/12 11:08 PM --

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Steffie

Date: 2/27/12 10:57 PM

When I saw the listing that I think your viewing, I thought the price was on the high side. I'd be more comfortable with around $2500-$2700 personally. I know the hours are low, but things that are fairly expensive are missing and you won't have warranty. I think she will take offers though...
-- Edited on 2/27/12 11:02 PM --

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33

Date: 2/27/12 11:09 PM

My edited post crossed with yours. The 4 feet mentioned never came with the 635. I read her ad and it appears everything is there that comes with it. My main concern is the lack of warranty. I would request a cleaning/service if it has not been done already for peace of mind and get the machine history, if any. I thought her price was reasonable once I read the ad and saw it comes with all the original accessories after all. I'm estimating its about $2000 less than what I paid for my 635 and if I would have bought the BSR as well. Still, I personally would buy new due to the warranty.
-- Edited on 2/27/12 11:19 PM --

------
~Diana~

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63

Date: 2/27/12 11:16 PM

Ah, well that is better then. I was wondering how so many feet went missing with so few hours! I still have a hard time giving up warranty though.

I still want one, but I'm willing to have more hours on it, I don't want or need embroidery or BSR and my budget will be under $2500. But that is because I don't NEED one! ;)

When does the lust for ALL BERNINA models slow down? If I get one I will have to sell my 440. I'm not sure I want to sell my 440. She was my very first Bernina--and she made me so happy with her fantastic sewing.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33

Date: 2/27/12 11:22 PM

I was adding more to my reply and it crossed with yours again! LOL.

Well my Bernina lust stopped when I bought the 830. I do not have the desire nor the funds for another machine. The 630/635 is an awesome machine. Sometimes I wonder why I sold it and why I bought the 830..... I would not have Bernina debt. Then I sew on my 830 and know exactly why I upgraded!

------
~Diana~

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63

Date: 2/27/12 11:32 PM

I'm thinking (but should make sure) that the embroidery unit that fits the 440 also fits the 635. So, I would use it for classes--but then not have to hook up my laptop like I have to with the 440. Since I already have that embroidery unit, and now two BSR units, I don't need either.

BUT, I would not get it in place of my 830. Nope. She is my pet.

Today my rebate check came from Bernina. Hahaha, its just making me want to purchase more Berninas!

------

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33

Date: 2/28/12 8:10 AM

The embroidery unit will work with the 635. Not sure if it will need updated, but it is used for the Aurora's and Artista's.

------
~Diana~

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33

Date: 2/28/12 9:55 AM

Well, I think my used 630 is THE ultimate BerninAddiction treatment. Personally, I "need" both a 5.5mm and 9mm Bernina, and at least one that's portable, which the 820 is NOT. The 630 is a dream, the best 5.5mm Bernina. I "should" be able to let go of my 240 and 440, now that I've got the 630, but I'd never get for them what I paid, and it's nice to have a less expensive one for classes. I hadn't planned on the 630 at all, just came along and was a superb deal, and truly meant to be mine, I think. I have a feeling that either my 240 or 440 will eventually rehome itself in a similar manner, so I'm not in a great hurry to gave to choose which to sell, though surely one is redundant. No other current model interests me AT ALL. I can't imagine what the upcoming new 7 series could offer that would tempt me, other than a 5.5mm machine with dual-feed, which seems unlikely.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

Date: 2/28/12 10:32 AM

Hi I have a 635. I love this machine. It is wonderful for so many reasons. I wrote a review of it last month.

The price your dealer is offering is $3600? If so it is a great price. I would not hesitate. I paid 4500 for mine with embroidery. The bsr was another 800.
Great deal.

------
Bernina 780, 635E, 1630
Serger 1100DC

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Questions on Used Bernina 635E

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Vogue Patterns 1287

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Sew Liberated Bohemian Carpet Bag Pattern

Sew Liberated Bohemian  Carpet Bag Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 150mm Poppet Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Poppet Purse Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 7989

photo
by: JuliN

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.