SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Needle falling out t the worst times! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Needle falling out t the worst times!
Is there ever a good time?
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/28/12 6:45 PM

My old vintage machine is the BEST, but using the button holer or walking foot seems to work the needle screw out of place and the needle falls out in mid-use!

Of course, if I pay close attention and tighten it up regularly, it is always as tight as it will go and only if I am deeply concentrating on a key piece of work that it all comes to a crashing halt. Very scary!

Any advice? A drop of oil on the needle screw to prevent friction?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 2/28/12 8:15 PM

You are probably already tightening the needle screw with the little sewing machine screw driver rather than just your fingers, right.

I may be wrong but I would think that sewing machine oil on the needle screw would help it loosen easier.

Since it's a vintage the screw or the threading hole may be slightly worn enough to allow the screw to jiggle loose with sewing vibrations.

My sister had that problem with one of her sms...and getting a new screw helped.

There is also a product that seems oily but when dries actually keeps screws from slipping...BUT I can't remember it's name right now. I am going to the store soon and will look on the shelves to spark my memory. Of course this product would not be good for any other part of the sewing machine.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 2/28/12 8:42 PM

If a new needle screw wouldn't work and I was a bit desperate, I'd try a little bit of teflon tape. Leave a little tail on it to grab to pull out and be prepared to know that it might shred (technically shouldn't, but it wasn't designed for this application). If it were to shred, it should be easy enough to pull out with a tiny brush. The brush I'm thinking of looks like a dollhouse miniature version of a bottle brush. An old cleaned up mascara wand should work too, if there are any loose teflon tape ends to scoop out.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/27/09
Send Message

In reply to bestgrammy

Date: 2/28/12 9:57 PM

You're thinking of Loctite but I wouldn't use that for a screw that isn't pretty much permanent.

I like the teflon tape idea.

Irene

Irene  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/03
Send Message

Date: 2/28/12 11:40 PM

(double post, see below)
-- Edited on 2/29/12 3:17 AM --

Irene

Irene  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/03
Send Message

Date: 2/28/12 11:47 PM

I would set a timer and tighten the screw whenever it goes off. I use oil and teflon tape when I need to be sure that I can get things loose, not to hold them tight.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 10:09 AM

Aha - I have not tried to use a screwdriver, so I will do that. But I never meant to oil the actual screw itself, just the "arm" part of it where the little "fork" sits.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 11:35 AM

I have an old Pfaff that drops needles. My solution is to wrap the flat part of the needle with the tiniest piece of masking tape to make it a little thicker. It works every time and doesn't cost anything. Don't use too much tape or you won't be able to insert it.

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
NM USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 7:39 PM

Definitely use a screwdriver! The needle screw on older machines is not meant to be finger tightened. The only thing to watch out for with a screwdriver is, believe it or not, over-tightening, which can crack the needle-bar. So, don't crank it down, but tighten it firmly. Good luck, and have fun buttonholing.

------
Michele Lommasson

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 2/29/12 8:00 PM

Just any time is probably a really bad time. You could try sticking/slipping a little short piece of hollow rubber or clear plastic tubing (like Aquarium tubing or such) over the needle set screw bar that the fork of the buttonholer is riding up and down on with each stitch. Maybe that will cushion it a bit, and absorb some of the machine vibration so it does not get jiggled loose so easy. I don't think it's so much the friction, I think it's probably more the vibration of every time that fork piece goes up and down there, that is making the needle get loose and fall out.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Needle falling out t the worst times!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2009-118

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
New Look 6104

photo
by: KarlaB

Review
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 103 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 103  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.