SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina or Baby Lock ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina or Baby Lock
Advice on new machine
paintscando
paintscando
Member since 2/23/12
Send Message

Date: 3/1/12 9:00 PM

Hello- looking to "upgrade" from my Viking Designer SE to either a Bernina 730e or Baby lock Ellegante 2. Would appreciate your advice and opinions.

Thank you

biochemistress

biochemistress  Friend of PR
Advanced
Virginia USA
Member since 11/8/05
Send Message

Date: 3/1/12 9:02 PM

I think if you wait a short while the update to the 730 is due out soon.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to paintscando

Date: 3/1/12 9:53 PM

I've heard wonderful things about the 730E. Most people that own them want to hang onto them. They may be hard to come by in the near future. It is being discontinued and the new 7 series will be revealed in July. I am a Bernina gal and know nothing about the BabyLock. My advice is to take your fabrics and test drive each one to see which one suits you best.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 3/2/12 0:17 AM

The 730 is being discontinued. My dealer has one left for $5000. The screen is large and centered. It's one lovely, loaded machine.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

susanannetteb
susanannetteb
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 5/31/10
Send Message

In reply to paintscando
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/2/12 1:13 AM

I did loads of research all last year wanting to get back to a Bernina, For my money I bought a 450 Bernina 9MM to sew with and a basic Babylock to do embroidery. I spent maybe $4000-4500 for both with many expensive Bernina feet (the best part of a Bernina) . The babylock does great embroidery and I will hopefully replace the entry Babylock to the Ellegante at some point. It is hard to find many complaints about the Ellegante. As much as I love Berninas you get a heck of alot more for your money in Babylock. I guess I am like so many on this site one machine can't do it all, but in that category I would say The Ellegante Wins

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/2/12 11:44 AM

Both machines have fantastic features. My friend has an Ellegante and it's very nice. I probably would have gone with this machine had I had a dealer I liked closer to me. My BL dealer is an hour and a half away, and I thought that too far for a high end machine.

I'll tell you what I liked/did not like with my 730 and my friend's Ellegante. She bought hers 2 years ago.

Physical things:
I prefer the center needle default. Many BL/Brother machines default to the left.
I liked the colors and the placement of the Bernina screen.
I love the quality of the feet and foot pedal of the Nina, and the heel tap up/down.
The analog knobs which are used for stitch length and width on the 730, and also function for embroidery editing. I hate pressing buttons and going into many menus.
The Bernina is 9mm and the Ellegante is 7mm. This may make a difference for you.

Computer things:
The combi mode for creating new stitch combinations and saving them into different folders, and directional stitching are much loved features on my 730.

730 has great security features which it will remember when turned off.

Embroidery editing is rich and plentiful on the 730. More similar to using actual software. I always had to bring up my software previously. I can't tell you how many designs I do have not had to go through the software with this machine. Too many to count. I would rather use the machine than the software. It's easier!
While it doesn't have some things the new 580 has, it has things no other machine has since Bernina moved away from the Windows platform.
It was widely debated for a while on the Yahoo groups weather the 830 had the same technology as the 730 in adjusting stitches onscreen when changing size, and it was finally determined that no - the 830 does it differently due to having different software, and it does not do it quite as well as the 730. To accomplish these things, it runs a bit slower that some machines, but honestly it's not like super slow, and not a big deal to me. I've enlarged and reduced designs over 300% and it stiches out perfect!

It remembers stitch settings within a sewing session so you can change stitches as you like and go back and forth without resetting them again.

About the Ellegante:

The screen is larger on the Ellegante in total sq inches, and does have a very good resolution.

I love the way the hoops attach to the BL machines.

It's a bit more intuitive and easier to understand than Bernina when it comes to the embroidery part. PES designs are plentiful.
The Designer's Gallery software which is primarily aimed at BL owners is fantastic software. The guide books make things so conversational and easy to understand. The software itself is marvelous, and would be my #1 choice if I had a BL machine, regardless of cost.

With the Bernina, you will need the mastery classes that are offered with the machine.

I do love the Nancy Zieman designs that came on the machine - very classy.

There are other differences. I think Bernina's website and what all they offer in the way of videos, webinars, tutorials, educational online magazine, and other free web based stuff are fabulous. BL offers many projects on their website too.

It's all in what value you place on certain features, which machine just feels right and better, and what dealer you like best.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/2/12 1:02 PM

On the BabyLock you can set the needle to be at center as the default when the machine is turned on.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to karen149

Date: 3/2/12 2:03 PM

Right, you could do that on my old Brother. I just don't like having to do it - I forget, and then I'm sewing with an off seam allowance.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 3/2/12 2:27 PM

Yeah, what's up with that left needle default? What's the purpose? My only Brother is my kids' low-end model, and afaik it can't be changed to default to center, so I must always be sure they take off the 1/4" foot and replace it with a zz foot at the end of every session, just in case they forget to center the needle the next time.
-- Edited on 3/2/12 2:28 PM --

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Maia B

Date: 3/2/12 3:16 PM

My friend who owns the Ellegante says it is because of where the drop in bobbin is - the machine will form a better stitch with the needle at left. Don't know who told her that - maybe a tech?

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina or Baby Lock

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Make it Perfect Downtown Boy Jacket

photo
by: brissmith

Review
Daisy Kingdom 2431

photo
by: kathieh9

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Buy Now
Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.