SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > Comparing crotch curves ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Comparing crotch curves
how do you line them up?
SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 3/2/12 7:56 PM

I've just made a pattern from my favourite pair of jeans. The crotch curve is ENTIRELY different. I think the RTW jeans have a slightly dropped crotch point as compared to the Jalie pattern.
How should I line them up to compare them?
What I've done so far is to match them from the hem (they have the same inseam length). Is that right?

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to SVN

Date: 3/6/12 9:33 AM

I am not sure you got an answer to this. I see you posted about pants in another thread. I think the length of the pant is irrelevant to the fit of the pant. You need to compare from the waist down (or a similar point). Jeans are a little tough because the back is normally 2 pieces. Check both crotch length and depth. I am finding that most patterns do not have enough crotch depth (across) so pants want to pull into my body giving me all kinds of weird wrinkles. Jeans of course fit tighter and you want that pulled in.

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/6/12 1:31 PM

Thanks for this timely question. I've been stacking up different patterns that have worked/not worked to see what shape, depth, curve, etc is best for my shape and how they vary.

The pattern doesn't always note the intended distance between top of waistband and natural waist. It makes it difficult to know how to compare the rise of different patterns.

I'm feeling like, in my quest to become more knowledgeable, I might be getting more confused.

-- Edited on 3/6/12 2:02 PM --

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 3/6/12 2:14 PM

Try this, fold the pant leg in half, draw a perpendicular line from the crotch point, and line the pant legs up along this line.

The problem is that a fuller pant leg will naturally have a different crotch curve/depth than a more fitted pant like a jean, so the exercise will be better if you are comparing pants with the same fit.

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 3/6/12 6:31 PM

Thank you for your replies. I had already muslined the pants (both jeans) and had some good advice to measure from my waist to the top of the pants on both. This gave me an idea of the distance at which to offset them.
I am still trying to make sense of the results. The RTW version back curve is practically a diagonal line, including a dip at the bottom. They fit fantastically, but I just don't get it!!

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to SVN

Date: 3/6/12 9:01 PM

RTW stretch jeans seem to be quite diagonal and not very J curved from what I have seen. The jean draft has a pretty diagonal cb seam anyway and with the close fitting stretch style so much is taken off the inseams and crotch extensions.

I line up pants patterns at what I call the "turning point" and have the grain lines parallel. This turning point is where the cb starts the curve under the bum. In this blog post
P.S. I haven't forgotten about the other illustrations I promised you. Will get the scanner out of the garage soon!

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 3/6/12 9:52 PM

Thanks Sewliz,
I had read somewhere else where you mentioned the turning point, so I was keen to do the same. That's what is so crazy about these... they literally don't turn! I posted a picture of the two patterns (although before I figured out how to offset them right) on the pants sew-a-long, if you're interested.

SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 3/6/12 10:32 PM

I looked again and I could see a slight curve, so I tried matching them up. I could, but the crease line was way off (by inches). Am I right to think the crease (centre) lines should match up?

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to SVN

Date: 3/7/12 10:07 AM

The crease lines, as in the center of the leg, do not usually line up on top of each other but I put them parallel.

I'll bet the RTW pants you copied had a straight cb seam in it's original pattern but wearing the pants molds the fabric to our shape. Our bodies are like big three dimensional steam presses to our clothes.

ETA this image, is this the one you mean?

-- Edited on 3/7/12 10:12 AM --

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

SVN
star
SVN
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 3/7/12 2:23 PM

Yep; the brown dashed lines is the RTW pattern. If I were to line up where the turning point is, I would find that the centre of the leg is far more to the outside (toward the hip) than the Jalie pattern. This sort of makes sense when I look at them on me - I think my legs are toward the outside on my body: click here

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Comparing crotch curves

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Colette Patterns 0003

photo
by: MiniandMer...

Review
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

More Info
Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.