SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Need pattern suggestion for travel wardrobe ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need pattern suggestion for travel wardrobe
asking for pattern suggestions for easy travel wardrobe
Cottagecelt
Cottagecelt  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 9/25/06
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 1:58 PM

Hello Sewists!
I am looking forward to an exiting trip this summer to Ireland. I would like to sew an easy coordinating travel wardrobe for the trip. Knits or no wrinkle fabrics would be best. Does anyone have any suggestions on patterns I should try?
Thanks!

Jatman
star
Jatman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 6/26/06
Send Message

In reply to Cottagecelt

Date: 3/4/12 2:09 PM

I would look at Christine Jonson Patterns. Most, if not all (?) of her patterns are for knits. She has some really cute and stylish stuff.

www.cjpatterns.com

JT

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 2:43 PM

McCalls 5890 has had some good reviews and would make a nice travel ensemble if you were looking for one pattern to start from

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 3:43 PM

I am not sure what sort of weather you usually have, or the sort of temperatures you are used to.

Even though it is summer, you will need something waterproof and also something warm for the evenings.

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

BeckyNoSleep
star
BeckyNoSleep
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 4:44 PM

Vogue 8641 has always intrigued me, and has good reviews. The styles are similar to the 'travel' pieces they have at Chico's. No pockets, though, which would be tough for me when traveling.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 5:14 PM

My DH and I are going to China in May so I'm presently working on a travel wardrobe too. Right now, I'm making some comfortable elastic-waist pants with side seam pockets from Stretch & Sew 150, The Super Set, which also includes a below-knee length skirt, cardigan and short sleeved top. I've cut out a dressy "T" called The Perfect T-shirt from Pamela's Patterns. This is a very comfortable top that I have already made if you'd like to look at my review. for it. This will be shirt #3 out of that pattern.

Good luck finding patterns that will work for your trip!

------
Judy

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Cottagecelt

Date: 3/4/12 6:41 PM

Add pockets everywhere; hidden and visible. Or, at least have a vest with good pockets. Light weight miracle fabrics that wick moisture, have an SPF factor and are fast drying are great for a basic top to wear alone or with layers.

I choose the shoes first and then the clothes.

Chiffon dresses up everything and packs to nothing; scarves, shawls, kimono jacket.

Check scottevest for ideas on pocket placement.

Marci Tilton has a couple of Vogue patterns that include skirts and pants that are nice for travel. And a natural fiber long sleeveless dress that can be layered is versatile and comfortable.

-- Edited on 3/4/12 6:42 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Cottagecelt

Date: 3/5/12 0:25 AM

I have traveled in Ireland, and also rode horses over there. It is wet, and cool most of the time. I did not stay in hotels except for one night-normally stayed in old homes and 10 days in a suite in a castle! It was a dream come true for me-and the first time I had traveled internationally by myself.

You will need a raincoat, and warm, comfortable shoes. I have sewed some of the pieces from M5890 (already recommended to you) and think that would make a great start. It is very casual over there-those pieces will take you almost anywhere.

Have fun. I wish I could go back.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 1:03 AM

One of my most favourite pieces for travel is the much-sewn cardi wrap from Simplicity 2603. I made mine in a wool jersey and it's so snuggly. Really good for the plane as you have a piece to cover your legs and a piece to cover your shoulders! The other advantage is you can wear it so many ways. My favourite classy one is to drape one side up onto my shoulder and secure it with a blingy pin.

I've also made the top from the same pattern & inserted the sleeves from the cardi wrap. Also from wool but would work in any drapey fabric.

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Cottagecelt

Date: 3/5/12 7:43 AM

1st time?
What a gorgeous country and friendliest people, we loved
just sitting in small pubs listening to the local bands.
Be sure and take a hooded raincoat--it can crop up quickly.
Good walking shoes, as there are a lot of monastery ruins in
rocky fields to tour. And don't forget to bring home some
wonderful sweaters/scarves from their shops...
-- Edited on 3/5/12 7:49 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Need pattern suggestion for travel wardrobe

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Butterick 4607

photo
by: SewEccentr...

Review
Butterick B4958

photo
by: material e...

Review
Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.