SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Buying thread via mailorder ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Buying thread via mailorder
How do you go about it?
rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 5:38 PM

$2.50 for a spool of Gutermann thread in the US and $18 for the same thing in Australia, I just can't bear it any more!!!

I know buying thread mail order must be hit and miss, but at those prices it surely is worth it. From what I have read on the boards, Cleaners Supply seems to have the best prices, but how do you pick the colours?

Do you have any experience worth passing on, or any tips that might help me? What would be a sensible first purchase (considering weight as well, as I have to ship it to Australia).

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to rivergum

Date: 3/4/12 6:01 PM

One thing to watch for. The standard poly Gutermann thread we buy here is made in Germany. From what I've read on these boards, in the US there is a Gutermann thread made in Mexico which many say they don't like. It sounds like the two threads may be different quality, but this is all hearsay. I've never seen the two threads side by side to compare. Just something to be mindful of.

As for colours, can go to the shops here, colour match, note the number then buy on-line? Gutermann colour numbers from what I've seen are the same across all their different thread types.

Btw, what Gutermann thread are you paying $18 for? I've never paid anywhere near that price for thread.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 6:02 PM

http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/product.cfm?pID=1155 sells a thread chart for the brand so you can find what you need.

-- Edited on 3/4/12 6:02 PM --
-- Edited on 3/4/12 6:03 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to rivergum

Date: 3/4/12 6:07 PM

First off. try to order the largest spools you can.. and double or triple the whites and other basic colors you use most often. Then add in an assortment of other colors to start. OR you can get your basics.. order the entire line of blues.. and next time around the entire line of reds and so forth.
Be sure and check out ALL the net sites you can on thread.. I will bet there is the entire collection on line at at least one source that would allow you to buy the entire collection at one time. Often these collections are discounted.
Since you do pay high shipping costs.. do try for the larger spools though. Fortunately you can get a lot of spools in a flat rate box. so negotiate the shipping cost if it seem high.. Good luck.. you ladies sure pay a premium price in AU for everything.. its a pity.. as I have seen some fabulous quilts and really artsy stuff done up there. No fair at all. The Aussies are so talented.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to rivergum

Date: 3/4/12 7:12 PM

I ordered a real thread card with all the numbers on it. The first time I went through all of my fabric and bought matching thread. I bought extra of the basics. If you have favorite colors that you always sew order extras in those colors.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to Sew4Fun

Date: 3/4/12 7:36 PM

Unfortunately, Gutermann's store bought thread uses a different numbering system than their online thread. So if you want to order Gutermann's thread online, you need to buy the thread chart. By the way, most people who have tried Gutermann's online thread find it perfectly acceptable, and it's a true bargain. On a per yard basis, Gutermann's online thread is only one fourth the price of the regular retail thread.

-- Edited on 3/4/12 7:42 PM --

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 8:33 PM

I suggest/recommend buying the Gutermann thread cabinet. I got one for Christmas and it's AWESOME! It has 100 spools in a variety of colors... lots of each shade to choose from. It comes in a neat cabinet too that you can mount on the wall if you want. That could start you off with a good assortment and then I'd order extra spools of the basic colors too.

Hope that helps!

PS - It was about $160US in December, but maybe you can get it cheaper through Ebay or Amazon or with a coupon or something. It's still a good deal even at full price!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

Date: 3/4/12 11:32 PM

Thanks for all the help, ladies. And yes, unfortunately you can't just get the numbers in the shop and order the same number online.

I think I will get 3 spools of white and black each, as I am sure to use these, plus some other colours I use a lot. If that works out at a reasonable price and the quality is good, I might invest in a colour chart, plus maybe buy different shades of colours I use a lot. Pity I can't afford the cabinet, but the shipping would be a killer.

Sew4fun, $18 stuck in my mind for 1000m spools, although I normally only buy the 100m at $3.00. I think 500m might be $12 where I shop. How much do you pay and where?

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

Vonnevo
starstarstarstar
Vonnevo  Friend of PR
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/25/04
Send Message

In reply to rivergum

Date: 3/5/12 0:06 AM

Wawak sell Gutterman, that is stamped "made in germany".
I bought some while in the US recently.
Wawak also have great monthly specials, I think I paid under $2 for my 1094 yd Gutterman.

http://www.wawak.com/

In FAQ's, there is a form for International ordering.

I plan on buying a whole lot more of their products too

------
Vonne šOš Brisbane Australia
---------------------------------
Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/5/12 1:33 AM

Here's a completely opposite point of view. I just bought a Babylock Evolution and had my first lesson. The teacher said that thread dries out making it weak. If you can snap it easily with 2 fingers, don't use it for finished garments. The thread won't stand up to laundering and the stress of wearing it. If it's 3 years or older, better not to use it for anything you care about long term. Muslins, practicing technique, etc. is OK. Best thread storage is in zip lock bags. Serger thread is apparently dated, you can check it before you buy- so, could be some truth to this perspective. In that case, keep a small inventory of basics; buy particular colors, novelties and various weight threads for current projects as you sew. Buy smaller spools.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Buying thread via mailorder

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Kwik Sew 6184

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Aurelia Cardigan

Sew Liberated Aurelia Cardigan

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.