SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > help - new to quilting ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
help - new to quilting
Celticstitcher
star
Celticstitcher
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/7/11
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 8:51 AM

Hiya, I've been sewing for many years and have dabbled in quilting but never tried patchwork. I have a cutting mat, but am looking for advise on rotary cutters and rulers - I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

any suggestions on what a 'starter pack' should include?

thanks Hazel

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Celticstitcher

Date: 3/5/12 9:02 AM

If you have the mat then all you really NEED is a rotary cutter and a 12" long ruler with some of the more common angles marked on it (45, 60) . Sometimes for specific projects you'll need a different ruler but you can make that purchase when needed.

There are a whole slew of adorable block patterns you can make with just strips. There are numerous videos you can find on youtube which will give you valuable information.

Welcome to our creative world!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 10:01 AM

Hazel, Welcome to quilting!!!! I'd say that the most useful rulers are (give or take an inch-whatever's available where you are): 6x12 (or 8x12 if you can find it), 6x24, and a square (6x6, 8x8, or 12x12). If you only want to buy one, I'd say the 6x12. Good luck, you know where to find help if you need it!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Sharon1952

Date: 3/5/12 10:07 AM

I just started quilting too, so welcome to the family. I am taking classes and I have bought several things I never needed for garment sewing.

For instance, a 6x24 Ofla ruler is a must. Another good one is the 6x12. I use both seperately and together. Iou could buy the 8x24 for wider cuts, but I can make do for now. I have a Quilt in a Day flying geese ruler, but we will not be using it for another 2 weeks. This one is the 3x6 size. Those are all I have... for now...

As for rotary cutters, the question is do you like one shaped or straight? Ofla makes both kinds. My favorite brand, in case you wondered. For most things, a 45mm is fine. I also have the smaller 28mm. I use both. You can buy one with a straight handle or my fav, the ones you have to gently squeeze together.

I also have one made by Mertelli.
martelli

I use this one when carpel tunnel or tendonitis is bothering my hands. They make them in the left handed versions too.

I hope all this helps you and again, welcome to the family of quilters.

Learn

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 11:10 AM

Welcome to the world of quilting!! I recommend what others had too but as for rotary cutters, I love love love this one...

Quilting Warehouse

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Celticstitcher
star
Celticstitcher
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/7/11
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 2:22 PM

Thank you for the welcome, come payday, I'm off shopping

I've been browsing some quilting fabric sites - WOW!!!

H

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 5:07 PM

I quilt but, I dont make blocks .. I use the rip method most of the time.

I have a rotory cutter, too -- the blades are expensive to replace.

I did see a ruler with a blade sharpener on one side. I might look at getting.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Kayabunga
Kayabunga  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 1/21/10
Send Message

Date: 3/6/12 7:25 AM

Welcome to the wonderfully fun (and obsessive) world of quilting. You've already gotten lots of great advice so I'll just add a few thoughts ... I would highly recommend "Creative Grid" rulers. They have a slip resistant finish so they won't slide around as easily when you're cutting. The lines are very easy to see on all fabrics while still being thin enough that you get consistently accurate cuts (stay away from rulers with fat lines) . They feature an additional 1/2" that is much more helpful than one might first think. My favorite sizes are 8 1/2" x 12 1/2 and 6 1/2" x 24 1/2" ... that would be a great place to start. I love these rulers and would replace them with exactly the same brand. For me, the straight handle Olfa 45 mm rotary cutter is my Go-To for quilting and garment sewing. I use my rulers for both as well, they are incredibly helpful. Aside from rulers and rotary cutter, make sure you have 1/4" quilting foot for your machine. This foot will be your best quilting friend ... practice getting accurate scant 1/4" seams. The secret of quilting is accurate cutting, consistent scant 1/4" seams and careful pressing ... that's it! Happy Quilting.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Kayabunga

Date: 3/6/12 11:31 AM

I can add from experience that not every machine with a quarter inch quilting foot makes a true quarter inch stitch. My Pfaff 2036 does a lovely job of it. My Babylock Molly makes one closer to 3/8 and I can't do anything about it. Can't change the gorve for the fabric to lay next to by moving it left some, can't move the needle any more to the right, or I'll hit the foot. This is a real bone of contention to some people. Just make sure your machine can do an accurate quarter inch stitch and everything from there on will be much easier. Oh the careful pressing... no kidding. Press, not iron, the teacher keeps telling me.

New skills require some time. That is what I keep telling myself. Don't be so hard on yourself if you do not get it right the first time. I've seen award winning quilts where the squares do not match and in a national magazine. So, knowing this, I began to relax and enjoy things.

We are here for you should you need help or just want to chat. Oh, do we ever like to CHAT.

Learn

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

Date: 3/6/12 11:49 AM

I heard you say blades for the rotary cutter are expensive, and I agree, but you can get them cheaper at the hardwear store, and sometimea I get the whole unit at the dollar store.
I do most of my rotary cutting on lycra, and the blades work great.

By the way I am a quilter too, but prefer to use cotton scraps as opposed to buying all new fabric for each project. There are thousands of beautiful designs that just use plain and print fabrics that you find yourself instead of buying the kit, or set or whatever they are selling for crazy prices,

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> help - new to quilting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

Buy Now
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.