SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Working on getting healthy... ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Working on getting healthy...
JillyBean333
star
JillyBean333
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 10/20/07
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 4:03 PM

So, I have probably a good 30lbs to lose and as usual was complaining to the doctor that I can't seem to lose it. She implored me to join a gym and exercise because "walking" just isn't good enough. Well I joined in January...went exactly twice.

I know this is to each his own, but nothing and I mean NOTHING ruins my exercise mood like going to the gym...or even the thought of going to the gym. Anyway, it's going to be 50degrees out tomorrow so I'm going to go on my 3-mile walk and I guess if walking 3 miles/5 days per week is not good enough then so be it.

Can't wait to get my bicycle out.

------
JillyBean
http://craftysupreme.etsy.com

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 5:19 PM

I understand your dislike of the gym. It would seriously bore me. I have no motivation what so ever to go and visit one. I stick to what works best for me, which is incorporating exercise in a way I find fun, convenient and enjoyable.

Normally this means, wherever possible, cycling a very heavy metal bike (old style grandma as they call it) everywhere round the city centre which I live near and to work. I also go to aquafit class once a week, though unfortunately the replacement tutor isn't anywhere near as good as the lady who has just retired, and my tummy has not had its accustomed sit ups. I can tell!

At the end of the day, what works is different for each person. If you really like walking, it is going to be much easier to get yourself out of the door to do it.

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 7:52 PM

Walking sounds like a great idea!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 3/5/12 8:21 PM

Jilly - I agree with the gym thing. Increase your good veggies and really watch the carbs. DH is wheat free due to tremendous improvements in his asthma without wheat and we both are keeping the carbs down and it is pretty wonderful how we both are doing. We also dance about 5 hours a week, which doesn't hurt!

I refuse to do anything diet wise that makes me feel deprived and I can't and won't spend my whole day thinking and planning food. Lean protein, loads of veg and reasonable everything else. And I still have my dark chocolate and wine in the evening.

DD is a nutritionist and she constantly tells us that people for the most part know what is healthy and what isn't. We just have a way of turning that switch to "off" when we don't want to pay attention to it! And carbs do make you crave more carbs. No doubt about it.

She also suggests that people think about when they were their happiest and at the weight they would like to be and try to replicate that life - personally, I ate like a bird and walked a LOT back in the day. I ate whatever I wanted, just not too much too often.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 9:14 PM

What about fitness videos? I don't like the idea of going to a gym because it involves having to make an effort to physically get there, but there's no excuse when I just need to pop in a workout DVD. I am usually a disciplined person but not when it comes to getting my butt somewhere else to exercise. I also enjoy playing sports or other mentally stimulating forms of exercise, I abhor swimming laps and only run on the treadmill when I can be watching a show. Maybe I am too high maintenance work out wise.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 9:17 PM

I'm not a fan of the gym either, and resent having to pay money, queue for the best machines, and/or go at a specific time to suit somebody else's schedule. But I know just walking isn't enough for me to shift any weight, even though I'm covering many miles at a brisk pace if I walk in and out of work four days a week (I either walk or cycle).

Running has helped me shift weight -- I followed the Couch to 5K programme and am now training for longer distances. It cost nothing more than a pair of good well-fitted running shoes, and I can do it whenever I like. The exercise is more intense than walking and so it is more effective.

I also love doing exercise DVDs in the house. Zumba is so much fun! And nobody else can see how uncoordinated I am Have you tried anything like that?

QuiltSewSewSue
starstarstar
QuiltSewSewSue
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 3/5/12 9:26 PM

Personally I love the gym but everyone needs to find what exercise they love to do and do that. Gym is not for everyone. However I did find you need to persevere with the gym like everything else to find your mojo. I would never miss it now as it makes me feel so good.

If you are going to walk try and add some resistance training as well - in the long term it will help burn those calories.

Mind you I am of the opinion that exercise alone will not help you lose weight - it is more about what you eat. Fuel your body with food that will help it best.

------
Sue (Toowoomba Qld)
Love to sew....

http://quiltsewsewsue.blogspot.com/

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 3/5/12 11:31 PM

I can't do the gerbil-gym thing either. Walk a dog? Sure. Walk to the store? Sure! Clear the driveway with a good-old person-powered shovel? You betcha. I'll happily ride a bike to work and do manual yardwork (planning on digging out and tilling a plot for the garden with a shovel and another manual gadget) and I can treadle away with glee, but weights? Pffff. I throw laundry around and carry the vacuum up and down the stairs. I have to be active with noticeable results in the world around me. I can't justify "for my health" or "for me". It would be easier if I could, but I'm just not wired that way.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/6/12 2:11 PM

No gym here either.

I also live in MN and walk 6-7 days every week. I go in rain, shine, sleet or snow. I also do a little weight lifting as part of my "getting ready for work in the AM" routine. I could probably look a little more buff but my weight stays within a 5-7 pound range. I love getting outdoors and don't care to smell the sweat of others when I'm exercising. The outdoors works wonders on my overall mental health. I also walk with friends about half the time and our discussions become so lively we forget we're exercising.

Bottom line: Any exercise is better than no exercise. The physical activity you choose should be something you enjoy.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 3/6/12 2:33 PM

Had you considered hiring a trainer to specifically set you up with a quick workout/stretch routine to do at home to complement your walking? Two or three times with the trainer should help you remember the appropriate posture/form for each exercise. You can do a lot at home with exercise bands and one or two light sets of weights.

Heads up to anyone with knee problems. I'm like JillyBean333 in regards to the exercise bike. I'm fine with going to the gym but just passionately do not want to get on that bike anymore. If you have space at home, the Tony Little Gazelle is pretty handy to have to fill in the gaps if you can't get to the pool, gym, or walk outdoors.

For some of you with neck problems, the Gazelle also wins points here as it does not jar my neck which has been a problem with treadmills.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Working on getting healthy...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Kwik Sew 1635

photo
by: Immelu

Review
You Sew Girl Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Beret Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.