SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > *Sigh* It figures. Lose something, buy a new one ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
*Sigh* It figures. Lose something, buy a new one
And the old one surfaces.
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 3/7/12 10:14 AM

My good seam ripper has been missing since Christmas. I looked everywhere! Bought a pretty new Clover bamboo one and that very afternoon I found the old one lurking in the bottom of a serger cone bin.

Also got some nice Henkles shears. Looked at the Ginghers but couldn't make myself ok with the $60 price tag.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 3/7/12 11:11 AM

Of course!

This is the corollary Murphy's Law.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 3/7/12 11:14 AM

Do you know I own three for that reason? And at any given point in time, I can only find one! The more we use them, the greater the chance they grow feet, run away, and hide.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to ryan's mom

Date: 3/7/12 12:09 PM

In my household it's well known that replacing something actually causes the missing item to reappear. Spooky and mysterious.....

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 3/7/12 2:00 PM

at least the seam ripper was in an unusual spot.

What I hate is when I look for something where I'm SURE I put it, can't find it, get a new one, and go to put it away and.... there the old one is - right where I was going to put the new one. Fortunately that happens most often with grocery items that get shoved aside.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 3/7/12 2:28 PM

Check out the link in the first post of this thread in Sewing Spaces, Organizing the Stuff; Come Out of the Closet, or, Shove it Back In!
Pictures, Ideas, Links and Resources. The idea should work well for all of our small tools.

Tourist, any chance you packed up your seam ripper in an emergency competition sewing kit?
---------------------------------------
Don't feel bad, I used to hide the checkbook and other key things before we planned to be away from our home for any length of time. You can guess, I hid them so well that they were often difficult to find when we returned. Fortunately, this amused the hubbie.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 3/7/12 3:04 PM

Speaking of seam rippers, specifically, I only have one right now. it tends to roll *underneath* the sewing machine. Now, I check there first. Although, now that I do that, it ends up somewhere else.

Of course!

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/7/12 3:10 PM

I buy a half dozen every time I order from Cleaner's, and I still can't find one about half the time.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Coconuts

Date: 3/7/12 4:04 PM

Coconuts,

I'm sorry, but this is me, reading your post.

Not at, with. Well, I hope with.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 3/7/12 5:15 PM

Oh, *definitely!* I've even taken to doing this deliberately--announcing to the missing item that it is about to be replaced, and if it does not wish for that to happen, it should resurface immediately.

Years ago my DH gave me a necklace that I loved (not expensive; just something for the Renfair--but it was *perfect*), and it went missing for more than a year. Finally, in desperation, I went into every room in the house and made it very clear that I was going out to buy a new necklace. Went to Steinmart and combed through all their boho jewelry and finally found a neat necklace similar enough to the missing one to coax its return, but not *so* similar that there wasn't a place for both in my jewelry wardrobe.

THAT NIGHT I found the original necklace... under a stack of pants on my closet shelf! A place no necklace (let alone one worn only with Renfair clothes--certainly not with pants, so it's not like it had sneaked into a pocket or something) has any business being, and a location that had frequently been accessed and rearranged over the course of the year.

But, seriously--you can always use a couple of seam rippers, right!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> *Sigh* It figures. Lose something, buy a new one

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Silhouette Patterns 115

photo
by: Ms. McCall

Review
Simplicity 3813

photo
by: KAHooke

Review
Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

More Info
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.