SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > how best to quilt ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
how best to quilt
dilemma
rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/10/12 6:57 AM

I am making a baby quilt for a friend who is due to give birth in abut 2 months, so I still have some time left.

The front is just a simple block patten construction. Dress making is my main hobby so I dont have the experience (or confidence!) to attempt piecing together lots of fabric.

The back is a print of the very hungry catipiller story book. I love the colours.

On to my dilemma. My sister (who is very experienced in quilting) has warned me off doing any pretty patterns for my first quilting attempt. She said it takes a little bit of getting used to.

I can understand this, and do NOT want the happy task of trying to unpick stitching through loads of batting. But (ok, blame the ambition genes here) I want to keep the back looking as a good as the front so it is reversable. Just doing grid stitching for the quilting is, well, not going to be quite as cute.

So, suggestions gratefully received. I was thinking maybe a combination of machine stitching round the border and cross, and hand stitching for the "windows". Am I absolutely mad? I need a reality check!

OBX
OBX
Advanced Beginner
NC USA
Member since 4/23/10
Send Message

Date: 3/10/12 7:10 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by border or cross as it does not appear to have a separate border. I know grid quilting sounds boring, but with your backing, any detailed quilting in the blocks will land in odd places on the backing (if you want it to be reversible). If you don't like grids, I'd stick to another repeated geometric idea such as circles. Also, keep in mind that elaborate quilting tends to get lost in busy fabrics.

tateelliott

tateelliott
Intermediate
NC
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 3/10/12 8:33 AM

Quote: rmusic1
My sister (who is very experienced in quilting) has warned me off doing any pretty patterns for my first quilting attempt. She said it takes a little bit of getting used to.

Listen to your sister.

I understand that you want this to look as good as possible, but this is your first quilt, it's okay to not use the most demanding techniques. Just concentrate on doing simple quilting very well.

I guarantee that when the baby sees how pretty your gift is, he/she will be speechless.

Tate

------
King of the Rocketeers!

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 3/10/12 8:35 AM

That is a beautiful quilt; I saw it on the review. Did you create the pattern yourself? I can't help with the question. I have only quilted a few baby quilts and did simple squares so I followed the lines.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/10/12 8:37 AM

I agree with your sister. BUT if you want to do more decorative, make 12x12 samples and make many tests, then imagine doing that over the entire quilt.

this is an interesting combination front/back. maybe consider quilting the back by stitching around the characters then adding something -- I don't know what to fill in the quiltbut not sure how that would work on the front. have you considered making these 2 quilts they are both so cute

I usually do an allover pattern or solid on my backs.
-- Edited on 3/10/12 8:42 AM --

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to KathySews

Date: 3/10/12 9:19 AM

Quote: KathySews
I agree with your sister. BUT if you want to do more decorative, make 12x12 samples and make many tests, then imagine doing that over the entire quilt.

If that were my quilt, I'd make those adorable bug blocks the front and the patchwork the back, even though the patchwork is more complicated sewing. The caterpillars and butterflies are just too cute! Or like Kathysews says make two separate quilts.

But please, please, please don't practice for the first time whatever you decide on your beloved project. Like Kathysews recommends, please do practice sandwiches using the batting and thread you're planning for the quilt. Even experienced quilters do this to make sure the final quilting is going to have the look they want.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 3/10/12 10:37 AM

I would quilt from the back and just outline the "bugs".

Once may be enough. If not, echo the first stitching once, twice, or as many times as is pleasing to the eye on the front of the quilt.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

Date: 3/10/12 1:31 PM

That is going to be an adorable quilt. I think all the suggestions here a really good. When faced with a similar dilemma years ago, I channel stitched my backing (stripes) to a thin batting, then on the front I stitched around the characters onto a thin backing. There were buttons printed on the front print, so I used small buttons and securely hand-tied through the buttons, front and back together, then bound it with a white on white button print fabric. It came out great.

You have options. It is going to be so cute no matter what you do. The echoing circles idea posted here would be a simple and effective way to go, as well.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ

Date: 3/10/12 6:24 PM

Quote:
I would quilt from the back and just outline the "bugs". Once may be enough. If not, echo the first stitching once, twice,

I had the same thought before I saw PattiAnn's post. Then maybe grid quilt the remaining space. As for more detail in the bugs themselves, perhaps outline some of the bug sections like sections of the butterfly wings or catepillar body. I would not worry about being precise... in fact a general outline of the shapes may make it look whimsical. If you don't want grids then swirly loops are a good filler too.

My only advise if you have never done free motion quilting is to keep your hand motion even and steady. If you have a speed control on your machine set it for medium speed so that you can quilt (move your hands) at a slightly slower pace to maintain control. If you do straight lines then speed is not a factor accept to be sure your fabric does not bunch of you push the quilt. Make sure you pin baste about the width of your hand.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Franksdottir

Franksdottir
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1

Date: 3/11/12 0:26 AM

I would not hand quilt a baby quilt. You want to make things as easy on the new mother as possible, and if she realizes that it is hand quilted she may be afraid to throw it in the washing machine.

Do yourself and the mom a favor and machine quilt it, however you do it.

------
Barb

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> how best to quilt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Fusible Interfacing DVD

Fusible Interfacing DVD

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 82155-1006

photo
by: rivergum

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.