SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > sleeves and surefit designs

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
sleeves and surefit designs
Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
AK USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 4:48 AM

okay, I have been working on my surefit desingn muslin draft on and off for months now. Well, now I have read how sleeve cap ease is bogus.

How exactly do i apply the NO sleeve cap ease AND enlarge it for a larger upper arm?

I'm confused and soooo frusterated.

also, could I just copy off the shape of the armhole or something?

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 4:57 AM

Haha, I know EXACTLY where you have read itNo, you need sleeve cap ease, it was proven too many times. Depending on the fabric you'll need more or less, but you need it, absolutely.

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 5:10 AM

Here is my little videoto show you what happens when there is not enough ease at sleeve cap

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
AK USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 5:14 AM

well now how do I "ease" it cuz no matter what i get gathers and puckers and it just doesn't look nice

Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
AK USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 5:14 AM

oh and thanx for the video

Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
AK USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 5:15 AM

what exactly was the difference? i couldn't see it as well cuz of the fabric

Nursebennett
Nursebennett
Advanced Beginner
AL USA
Member since 1/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Calendria

Date: 3/11/12 8:44 AM

Glenda from Sure-Fit Designs can and will help you endlessly. She will even Skype with you to see your problems.

Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
AK USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 4:19 PM

i know that. but sleeves have been a serious issue here and I'm just not sure if there isn't SOmE truth to "cap sleeve is bogus" or something like that.

Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
AK USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 4:55 PM

could I possibly use petite plus 101 along with surefit designs and use it to create my sloper pattern, because it has most of the alterations I'd need to make : a d cup, small shouklderds, short waist, I'd just need to adjust my bust point location and possibly my upper arm for arm adjustment.

ideas?

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 3/11/12 10:23 PM

I'm no expert on pattern drafting, but to have zero ease on a sleeve cap, the shoulder needs to be extended and probably a shoulder pad inserted. In PMB I try to stick to around 1 inch sleeve cap ease. The program defaults to about 1.67 inches, which is too difficult to ease in. You can bast from where the little arrow is normally on the bodice and sleeve, around to the other side. Then draw up the thread until the fabric is tighter, but doesn't pucker. It takes a little practice.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> sleeves and surefit designs

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

McCall's 6467

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Nappies Pattern

Favorite Things The Nappies Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.