SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Burda Style/Burda Style Magazine ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Burda Style/Burda Style Magazine
Unfamiliar- what is the difference?
wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 1:11 AM

Believe it or not, I've never ever used Burda. What? Can you get me up to speed- similarities or differences between online BurdaStyle and Burda Style Magazine? Is it the kind of styling and/or the ease or difficulty of the patterns? The website does some explaining about them being 2 different Burda companies. Still not clear to me.

* Burda Style online seems to offer free and low cost patterns. Maybe the appeal is for younger and new to sewing? Is the styling also younger? I've signed up for the BurdaStyle online newsletter and joined them on Facebook. * Burda Style Magazine- I've also subscribed to that for 3 months to see what's what.

Any insights from Burda fans would be a big help. Thanks.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
France
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 5:41 AM

In my opinion, Burda made a horrible mistake in giving both the website and magazine the same name, as they really are two separate things. I don't think you're alone in being a bit confused by the whole thing!

You can read all you could ever want to know about the magazine in the Burda WOF topic at the top of the Patterns and Notions board, but here's my personal description:
Burda Style Magazine (formerly known as Burda World of Fashion) is a monthly pattern magazine. Each issue has a variety of patterns for both average and plus sizes, plus kids patterns and some home decorating projects - all of varied difficulty levels. The styling is similar to what you might see in a fashion magazine, not at all like the photos on pattern envelopes. The patterns featured in BurdaStyle magazine are quite varied, so depending on the issue, there could be styles that are fitting for a pretty wide age-range.
As a side-note, you'll find that a common complaint is that the pattern instructions are lacking in clarity, and thus, not for beginners. Personally, I learned (and am continuing to learn!) to sew using these magazines as my sole pattern source and have never struggled to understand the construction. I get the French version, though...maybe some translations are better than others? Or maybe my brain is just as mixed-up as the instructions, making it easier for me to understand.

The Burda Style website is an online community where seamstresses (and seamsters) get together and share projects, patterns and tutorials. Photos are user-submitted, and so, not professionally styled (apart from the "official" BurdaStyle patterns that can be downloaded from the site). I think the key demographic for the website is quite young (teens and 20s), though that's not to say that there aren't members of all ages.
I'd recommend just going to the site and looking around to get a feel for what it is. I'm not a frequent visitor of the site, to be honest, so I'm not the best source of information on the subject. However, I must say that, despite the impressive amount of creativity (and fun, gung-ho attitude) I've seen displayed on the BurdaStyle website, I often find the skill-level and execution of the projects to be, generally speaking, not as impressive as what you find here on PatternReview (but that's just my opinion).
-- Edited on 3/15/12 6:14 AM --

squirrellypoo
starstarstarstar
squirrellypoo
Advanced
International UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/27/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 8:39 AM

Well said!

To add to the confusion, some (but not all) of the patterns from the magazine are also available on the website to purchase as pdf downloads.

------
www.fehrtrade.com

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to sugarduck

Date: 3/15/12 10:10 AM

Quote:
styles that are fitting for a pretty wide age-range

Yes -- some styles are clearly for younger people, but not most.

To see if you like Burda, you could start by trying out their envelope patterns. They have the same great fit as the magazine patterns, but (on patterns sold in English-speaking countries) the seam allowances are included.

Simplicity.com is now selling Burda envelope patterns, which I mention only because the Simplicity site presents them in a very user-friendly, searchable way, unlike the Burda sites.

-- Edited on 3/15/12 10:13 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

ChristineX
star
ChristineX
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/28/05
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 4:50 PM

Don't feel bad if Burda confuses you--it seems to be a corporate strategy, from the very name of the magazine and the website(s), down to their pattern instructions! lol

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

Date: 3/16/12 4:23 PM

I stumbled on this conversation by chance, but thanks for the info! I have been so confused and now I know why! Thanks, Ann

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 3/17/12 2:50 AM

OK! The corporate strategy to confuse me has succeeded. However, you kind souls have helped me out- thanks. I'll come out from under my rock now and give a Burda pattern a try.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

Date: 3/17/12 6:44 AM

I agree that Burda and BurdaStyle can be very confusing, as confusing as the jumble of cutting lines on their magazine patterns! Last week, a fellow member of PR told me that BurdaStyle had recently changed ownership. So there may no longer be any connection between the two entities.

Speaking of BurdaStyle, I'm now taking part in one of their sewing contests. If you'd like to see the Downton Abbey inspired jacket I designed (and vote for it), here's the link.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Immelu
star
Immelu  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 5/6/06
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 3/17/12 9:06 AM

That's a gorgeous jacket Nancy! I voted for you!

Back to the original topic, Burda is worth a try. Things are usually a little different if you're used to just the big four, but both the magazines and the envelope patterns are good. I have it on my to do list to try some of their pants as some folks swear by them.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 3/17/12 12:32 PM

Quote:
...told me that BurdaStyle had recently changed ownership. So there may no longer be any connection between the two entities.

You mean between BurdaStyle magazines and Burda envelope patterns? If that's what you mean, I certainly don't think that's happened yet, if it's ever going to. There's a lot of overlap between them.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Burda Style/Burda Style Magazine

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Sewing Workshop Helix Tee and Pants

Sewing Workshop Helix Tee and Pants

More Info
PerfectFuse Medium Black

PerfectFuse Medium Black

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.