SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > dress hem line hangs lower in back than front ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
dress hem line hangs lower in back than front
all dresses - purchased & home sewn sag in back
Quinnsab
Quinnsab
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 5:41 AM

I wear mostly empire waist and gathered dresses. Breezy, flowy dresses. Nothing fitted. I have a huge butt, small waist, broad shoulder, small-average chest. I *think* my shoulder roll back a bit.

So, all dresses hang about 2" longer in the back than the front on me. The front hemline is usually an 1" above my knees, back hemline sags to the back of my knees. About 2-3" difference. And I'm constantly readjusting the neckline back down on my dresses.
Is this a swayback?
Thanks
erin

Quinnsab
Quinnsab
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 6:03 AM

I should add that i dont have this problem with skirts. Be it a pencil skirt or fuller, gathered skirt; hem line is even all around. Its just dresses.
So, problem must be bodice or waist fit issues??
Thanks again
Erin

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Quinnsab

Date: 3/15/12 9:17 AM

Hummm, this is interesting. You said you have a "huge butt". That would normally lift the back higher(think full bust and how it would raise the front). Your situation seems to go against this thought. Can you post pictures of yourself...side view would be helpful. You may be right about your shoulders, but if there is a 2 inch difference, your shoulders probably go back more than "a bit".

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 9:54 AM

It could be swayback. Do you see puddling of fabric right above your booty? This is generally the telltale sign. A swayback does mean that you're shorter in the back than the front (this doesn't seem anatomically possible, but I have become a believer).

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to JTink

Date: 3/15/12 10:00 AM

Quote:
this is interesting. You said you have a "huge butt". That would normally lift the back higher

I'm curious, too. My hips aren't huge, but definitely curvy, and I have more the problem JTink describes. Coats and jackets ride up at the back, and I always have to add to the center back seam of pants to keep the waistband from sitting too low at the back.

The jacket/coat thing in my case is probably also from having a fairly curved, full back... sort of the opposite of a sway back, if I'm picturing that correctly.

-- Edited on 3/15/12 10:03 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

DolphinDancer30

DolphinDancer30  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 12:33 PM

Is your empire seam parallel to the floor? Could it be riding up in the front? Is the empire seam actually under the bust?

Quinnsab
Quinnsab
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 3/15/12 6:44 PM

@JTink
Yeah. I'm going to post some pics. Setting up tripod now :)

Quinnsab
Quinnsab
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl <<

Date: 3/15/12 6:52 PM

Quote: nicegirl
Do you see puddling of fabric right above your booty?

Nope. I do get a large gap in my waist band on my jeans and fitted skirts. My shirts and jackets don't puddle on top of my butt.

Posting a pic.
Quinnsab
Quinnsab
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

In reply to DolphinDancer30 <<

Date: 3/15/12 8:39 PM

Quote: DolphinDancer30
Could it be riding up in the front? Is the empire seam actually under the bust?

OK. I can't get my computer to recognize SD card.

Now that I've seen a side view pic, I think my dresses are riding up in front, baggy in the back bodice. The front bodice/empire seam looks parallel to the floor, back bodice/empire seam is droopy.

Need to correct earlier statement: I do see pooling of fabric on top of my behind. Never noticed that before :(

So maybe is a combo of rolled shoulders towards the back and swayback?

Thanks ladies,
Erin
rag doll
star
rag doll  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/31/06
Send Message

Date: 3/15/12 9:10 PM

This is an interesting topic. I have a very flat ad low butt and always have a lower back hem on a dress.
I have only just noticed as to what exten I have the problem and it"s about 1.5 inches lower on the back. I'm at present mulling over what alteration to do. I definitely don't have a sway back. I have curvy high hips and a forward shoulder. I'll follow this thread with interest.

------
Brother QC1000, Brother PQ1500, Bernina Virtuosa 160, Pfaff (old), Babylock BLCS, Bernette 1100D, Bernette 334DS

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> dress hem line hangs lower in back than front

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2006-21

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.