SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Downtown Abbey Fans? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Downtown Abbey Fans?
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 3/18/12 4:50 PM

I see this series mentioned a lot.
Will I catch up if I jump right in or is it like a Soap
with many intricate dramas going on (last watched a Soap in the 80's when the kids were napping!) ?
I like foreign films/series (the British detective ones are better than ours, especially liked Wallander) but have to record and watch when H. retires to bed, because he can't understand the queen's English, Irish, or Australian. Wish there were more like the great "Thorn Birds" being made now.

OOO!
Just noticed Great Expectations is coming in April with Gillian Anderson (from X-Files)! Remember us all having to read that in HS?
The British must appreciate historical literature more than our film-makers, who go for the car-crash crowds.

-- Edited on 3/18/12 5:34 PM --

shana707

shana707
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

Date: 3/18/12 5:15 PM

It's probably better (and more fun!) to watch it from the beginning. You can watch it online at pbs.org. Navigate to "Masterpiece" and then "watch online". Here's the url for the first episode: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/downtonabbey_ep1.html
Sorry, I haven't figured out how to do a live link.
I watched the entire series online because my husband isn't a fan. The clothes are amazing!

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 3/18/12 5:26 PM

Definitely need to start at the beginning!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/18/12 11:02 PM

I'd recommend watching it from the beginning.

You might enjoy one of my favorite sites:
Enchanted Serenity

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Invisigal <<

Date: 3/19/12 8:06 AM

Often wondered how they laundered those skirts that dragged on the ground. Of course, they had laundresses....

"Agnes Brown" is another fine teary gal flick I just discovered--with Angelica Huston--based in 60's Ireland.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 11:52 AM

I watched all 7 episodes and loved them. My DH came in mid-season and it was impossible to explain the nuances to him.
Anyone know when the next season is out? I watched it through Netflix or Amazon, and I wasn't sure how old it was.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 12:08 PM

I just started watching this on Amazon Prime. I'm starting at the beginning. So many people have recommended it and I can see why.

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/19/12 1:48 PM

Here's another thread FYI - Downton Abbey. Wonderful series. If your DH can't understand the King's English, use the closed captioning. I love the British shows - much more intelligent than the US and very little, if any, language.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 2:05 PM

I think I have a girl crush on Elizabeth McGovern. She is adorable still, and the perfect lady of the house.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 3/19/12 2:26 PM

I have seasons 1 & 2 on DVD -- full UK edition. PBS apparently cut out scenes to make it shorter. Season 3 is out in the US January 2013. Sounds like there will be seasons 4 & 5 as well per the internet.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Downtown Abbey Fans?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2013-123B

photo
by: Heatherriq...

Review
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.