SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Web site Talk > What is it about a sewing blog that makes you follow it? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What is it about a sewing blog that makes you follow it?
Just curious
NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 3/18/12 6:20 PM

With so many sewing blogs out there what makes you read and follow one? Do you like the style of the blogger's finished items? Do you like their construction process? Are they doing things that new and different? All the above.

Just curious...

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 3/18/12 7:01 PM

All I know is that if you are going to have a sewing blog, I'll be checking it out.

I don't go in search of blogs. If one pops up because I'm looking for specific information and the information is really well presented, then I'll look at more on that blog. And, I'll check back from time to time on just a few. I already spend too much time on the computer to keep up with a full list.

I like the engineering behind detailed illustrated drafting and alteration information.

I like the exposure to a variety of regional and generational outlooks and interpretations.

And, when I watch movies, I really enjoy a movie with great scenery from a place I will most likely not see. So, one of the blogs that I recently enjoyed was the one by the lady who included a travelogue of her sewn wardrobe. I visited my friend here, pose; I walked my dog on this lovely beach, pose, with many trails through the park approaching the beach, pose...

And, I am a bit of a geek about sewing. I do enjoy seeing the steps of a well constructed garment. I even get a kick out of seeing a nicely finished and pressed seam. I appreciate that it is being done and I appreciate that the information is out there as a guide to others.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

homewerk
star
homewerk  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/2/07
Send Message

Date: 3/18/12 9:46 PM

Six years ago I didn't sew but I wanted a vintage style dress for my wedding. Googling for vintage style brought me to Erin's blog "A Dress a Day". Her narratives based on a pattern illustration were great. Her stories, the secret Lives of Dresses enthralled me. And she sewed and she had professional life too. Her blog was my AHA! moment. I thought I can do that.

Well, that remains to be seen. I have 3 vintage machines, a stash of vintage patterns, a stash of new patterns, stash of fabric, lots of stashes and several finished projects. But now I can say "I sewed that" and, really, it all started with one blog that was creative and real at the same time.

------
Becky (I'm homewerk on Pinterest too!)
Babylock Elizabeth, Pfaff 2030, Brother 1034D Serger, Babylock Coverstitch, Grandmother's 1931 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer Slant-O-Matic 401A, 1954 Elna Supermatic, pink Atlas Supermatic, 1969 Bernina 730
I love my toys!

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 3/19/12 0:21 AM

Dear NhiHuynh, There are so many ways to approach a sewing project--->techniques used, vintage or refashioning, construction, drafting etc. The list is as long as the number of blogs out there. I follow or subscribe to a large number of blogs in order to be inspired in my own development in the art and craft of sewing. While I do read a number of blogs which focus on technique and construction, I LOVE seeing wardrobe or capsule posts. I read a few blogs which are very advanced for me, and many which are written by very new sewers. I just love to see enthusiasm and engagement.

My own blog concentrates on my retired life, of which sewing is a large part. I am very forthright on my blog and write about things which I don't discuss here. I also bring in cultural, societal and political issues. I do have a committed core of responders and I would say that they most appreciate a shift away from straight sewing (I haven't asked so I am presuming).

If you begin a blog, I would definitely read it-your posts here are always illuminating!

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 3/19/12 2:46 AM

Quote: a7yrstitch
All I know is that if you are going to have a sewing blog, I'll be checking it out.

[QUOTE] That's funny. Somewhere I don't think anyone wants to see the ugly side of my fast and furious style of sewing. I can't tell you how many sewers I've offended by my blatant disregard for rules and instructions.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 3/19/12 6:41 AM

Lol! I'm one that does(re: fast&furious sewing). As a practioner of make-it-work sewing, I've been known to have a blatant disregard for rules and instructions as well.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

sewinglinda

sewinglinda
Advanced
Australia
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 3/19/12 7:10 AM

I love to read sewing blogs that concentrate on sewing, once they meander off into family issues, cooking or gardening they lose me. I have enough of those things going on at home.
also if you are going to have a blog I think you need to work at it, posting only every couple of months will lose you readers. if you aren't actually sewing, just talking about what you might sew , interesting patterns or fabric you've seen is still of interest to me. I have many favourite blogs that I read regularly, and they all seem to follow this pattern.
this is just my opinion, and not meant to offend anyone, I don't have a blog, but really enjoy the ones I read regularly.
linda
-- Edited on 3/19/12 7:12 AM --

------
sewing in melbourne.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

In reply to sewinglinda <<

Date: 3/19/12 7:43 AM

Quote: sewinglinda
I love to read sewing blogs that concentrate on sewing, once they meander off into family issues, cooking or gardening they lose me. I have enough of those things going on at home.

also if you are going to have a blog I think you need to work at it, posting only every couple of months will lose you readers. if you aren't actually sewing, just talking about what you might sew , interesting patterns or fabric you've seen is still of interest to me. I have many favourite blogs that I read regularly, and they all seem to follow this pattern.

this is just my opinion, and not meant to offend anyone, I don't have a blog, but really enjoy the ones I read regularly.

linda
-- Edited on 3/19/12 7:12 AM --

I tend to 'stumble' on to sewing blogs looking for information. Ones with tutorials, reviews or sew a longs are what interest me the most. I particular like ones with historical or vintage/retro leanings. I also like it when the blogger respond to 'replies' I try to reply to any 'questions' posted on my blog. I have found other blogs by people posting on mine and I check out their blog.
I also like fairly regular posts even if its just once a month. And yep agree no personal stuff...it totally puts me off sticking to the topic is key.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 3/19/12 8:29 AM

Disregarding instructions is great, as we all know the pattern companies are way behind the times. I rely on books like Nancy's and Tutes for new techniques and different looks, mainly kids clothes, separates, and trim knock-offs of RTW. "Fast and furious" is how the RTW industry works, with lowering quality, so you could show it with lasting results.

I skip those with time/dollar-consuming little accessory/decor projects, throw-away toys, complicated self-drafting (all that math!) I print out freebies if I can get away with 20 pages of computer paper from H and may then purchase a pattern from them.
Like others, I don't want to see your entire Rosy life or ills, 2-hour recipes, expensive travels. I think a simple unique one-project-month Blog would be great--you already have lots of fans.

LynnG
LynnG
Intermediate
Member since 9/16/03
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 9:16 AM

I like reading about sewing and I will check out all the sewing blogs I run accross. I think I enjoy the personal touch that a blog has. Many are so well written and I especially like those written with a good sense of humor.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> What is it about a sewing blog that makes you follow it?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Vogue Patterns 7845

photo
by: canyonlady...

Review
Children's Corner 230

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.