SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Events and Conferences > Sewing expos ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing expos
What is all there?
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 9:06 AM

I've never been to a sewing expo. Is it just classes and booths or do they actually sell fabric too?

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 9:32 AM

Mostly they have classes on different techniques, machine demonstrations, notions, patterns and pattern making. In recent years I have noticed more things I consider to be craft rather than sewing, such as knitting, yarns etc.

The one usually in my area often had a fashion show, and a few places sell fabric but generally specialty types.

I will always go to one when it is in town, I have taken courses on sewing machine feet to pattern drafting. It is also nice if you are looking for a machine as there are usually more than one company there with the brand reps so you don't have to travel all over to try them out.

------
Formerly The Canadian

Mariyka
Mariyka
Intermediate
Member since 8/10/10
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 10:24 AM

I bought lots of fabric at the one in Cleveland last year. Had to hold myself back because they had some beautiful batiks.

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 3/19/12 10:37 AM

My wallet and credit card definitely know that they sell fabrics at the Sewing Expos -- I attended the one in Minneapolis last November. There were several booths set up selling fabric (both garment and quilting). I know Vogue Fabrics goes to some of the Sewing Expos (not Minneapolis last year).

Classes are offered throughout the day (usually a 1 hour or 2.5 hour format). Separate booths will also have free make-N-take projects that you can do. There are lots of booths with different sewing machine brands that you can try out and a lot of booths with different kinds of notions, independent pattern companies, trims, etc. You get a chance to see a lot of new products which are just coming onto the market.

Throughout the day there will be fashion shows, demonstrations, etc. that you can take in.

I'm already planning on attending the next expo in Minneapolis in November (hotel room is already booked).

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

Mary Stiefer
starstarstarstar
Mary Stiefer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/17/03
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 10:58 AM

I went to the one in Denver and I can attest to the fact that you need to bring a credit card. They have lots of fabric at this one and all kinds of notions. Besides everything else - I bought this nifty handle for my big quilting ruler 6" x 24". It's just a little handle with suction cups on each end. It's can't be used the hold the ruler down because that won't work - but - I always had a heck of a time picking up the rulling and placing it. So - this works.

They do have some craft stuff and also some of the new sewing machines by Bernina, some embroidery machines (industrial I think) with 8 needles, etc. Lots of goodies to look at.

------
What is Maxine saying??
"I don't iron. If I'm not wrinkle-free why should my clothes be."

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 4:21 PM

Since I have a cousin in Cleveland that we can go out to eat with that night, my husband and I are going to that one. Bring your check book honey!

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 3/19/12 5:08 PM

Lucky you -- Vogue Fabrics is at the Cleveland Expo as is The Wool House.

Have Fun!!!!!

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 3/19/12 5:34 PM

At the big expo in Novi, MI, Vogue Fabrics and Haberman Fabrics had very large displays of fabric for sale...they were more like mini-stores than booths. There were also many smaller vendors that had specialty fabrics and quilt fabrics and supplies. Some of the indie pattern makers were represented. Lots of sm dealers have popular models set up for people to test drive. You can find many notions, tools, sm accessories, patterns, embellishments, books, kits...most it unavailable at your average fabric/craft store.

I love taking classes at expos, but for a few years it seemed like the same classes were being repeated year after year. This year the class offerings are much improved! I'm attending the Chicago expo this week, and I'm taking hands-on classes in coverstitch methods, beading, and sewing contemporary knits, as well as some shorter workshops on various topics.

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 3/20/12 5:24 AM

Halleyscomet,

Let's put it this way - if you ever go, you will probably be hooked! I attended my first one near Pittsburg several years ago sponsored by the ASG there. From there, I attended several at Chantilly, VA, then on to the one in Atlanta - I think 3 times. What an experience! Coming from a rural area where one can't find much of anything except quilting stuff - it was like being let loose in that great sewing store in heaven!!! ..........and the ability to get together with other like obsessed sewers is wonderful.

I'm not able to attend any longer due to back related issues and the inability to walk any distance! Drat it! I do read everything anyone posts about their experiences. I live through their tales of fabric buying and classes they attended!

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 3/20/12 7:10 AM

I'm going to the one in Cleveland and then since I'm just north of Pittsburgh I'll probably hit that one in August. This could become a habit!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Events and Conferences >> Sewing expos

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Other Tailors Guide 127

photo
by: KiwiWendy

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.