SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Non-computerized machines and magnets question ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Non-computerized machines and magnets question
East of Nevada
East of Nevada
Beginner
Member since 11/20/11
Send Message

Date: 3/22/12 11:06 AM

Ok, so I have a Brother XL 3750. I was wondering if I could paint a small part of it, just to the right of the accessory box, with magnetic paint, so I can put pins there. Has anyone done anything like this? Is there some reason I can't see why it would be a horrible idea?

Thanks!

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 3/22/12 12:09 PM

I seriously doubt that magnetic paint has enough magnetic "oomph" to hold pins. However, there are a number of magnetic pin holders:

I have 3 or 4 magnetic pin "cushions" (holder, caddy), which I find more useful. I position one near the machine, sometimes behind the presser foot in the harp area and sometimes in the front, depending on what I'm sewing. I just pull the pins out and drop them in the general area of the pin caddy and the magnet grabs the pin. It's easy to just pick up the pin caddy and take it to the ironing board or cutting table when I need to pin something - no need to remove the pins from a magnet on the machine.

Pin Place/Scissor Spot This one mounts on the sewing machine. I don't use one like this, but it's closest to what you asked about.

Magnetic Pin Caddy I have one like this - the cover is handy if you are taking the pin caddy to a class or you need to store it in a tote bag or rolling case. This is a relatively new product. The "valley" on the magnetic face is supposed to make the pins easier to grab. I'm not sure it helps, but it doesn't hurt, either.

Grabbit pin caddy. I have a couple of these. I've used these for years, find them exceedingly handy and recommend them.

I use different magnetic pin holders for different types of pins, so yes, I really do use them all.

CMC

East of Nevada
East of Nevada
Beginner
Member since 11/20/11
Send Message

Date: 3/22/12 2:14 PM

I already have a lot of different magnets that I use for pins. The one from Germany is for ball point and the one from Florida is for regular, etc :D

The first link isn't working for me, but I guess that if it's made for mounting on the machine, then no, there isn't some hidden reason why I can't put either the paint or a flat magnet, or anything like that on my machine.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 3/22/12 2:59 PM

Grabbit Pin Place magnet, at Joanns
Pin Spot at Vogue Fabrics
At Sewing Machine Plus

Hopefully one of these links will work. I tried to find some good photos of the item.

This has a suction cup, so you can take it off the machine any time you like.

You will not harm your machine by using a magnetic pin holder near it or on it.

My concern about magnetic paint is whether it will be strong enough to actually hold pins. I recently bought a roll of magnetic tape, with one sticky side, to attach to photos to hang on the fridge. The magnetic strength is just BARELY strong enough to hold up a photo, and I'm fairly sure it won't work for pins. It's a very weak magnet, and it takes several pieces of magnetic tape to hold up a simple photo. Not all magnets are created equally, apparently.

Whatever you use, it needs to be strong enough actually hold the pins, or they'll be falling off the machine as you sew.

CMC
-- Edited on 3/22/12 3:08 PM --

East of Nevada
East of Nevada
Beginner
Member since 11/20/11
Send Message

Date: 3/22/12 3:22 PM

My science-genius husband just informed me that the paint itself isn't magnetized, it's just metal particles that magnets will stick to. Ah well. I may just paint it, then put a flat magnet on, I don't really want anything sticking too far off the machine, I'm kind of clumsy and will knock it off.

Thanks for the links though, I appreciate your help! Good to know it won't harm anything.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 3/22/12 6:15 PM

I do a lot of needlework, and inside all my floss/project boxes, I always keep a strip of sticky-back magnet in one of the compartments, to hold my needles. I don't think it's the same stuff CMC is talking about; this comes in a roll at craft stores and is plenty strong enough to make fridge magnets with (I did a lot of plastic canvas needlepoint magnets as a kid, and they're *still* holding up photos on my mom's fridge! LOL) I think that would work nicely stuck to part of your machine to stash the occasional pin.

Another option would be to go to an office store and get a pack of business card magnets (NOT the print-it-yourself variety, which won't be strong enough, but the actual magnets to stick to the back of business cards). The magnets on those are nice and strong, they're a good size & trimmable, and they're nice and sticky to grip your machine well.

------
~Gem in the prairie

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/22/12 8:07 PM

(source: I Can Find the Time Blog)

Here is what I did and I really like it. You just sew up the little cushion, stuff it and attach to some elastic. Then I tied it around the head. Real simple, no magnets.
-- Edited on 3/22/12 8:07 PM --

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

LynnG
LynnG
Intermediate
Member since 9/16/03
Send Message

Date: 3/23/12 9:43 AM

Solosmocker, I like your idea!

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 3/24/12 0:23 AM

Just watch out for what they call pin rash since they can leave marks on the machine.

DH drilled holes in a magnet and I put elastic through it and wear it on my wrist, instead of a pin cushion.

Mrs4Him
star
Mrs4Him  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 7/19/09
Send Message

In reply to East of Nevada <<

Date: 3/26/12 11:57 AM

I don't know if this machine is computerized or not, but if it is then do not use magnets on your machine. I have a computerized Baby Lock and was told explicitly and have heard over and over that using a magnet on your computerized machine is a big no-no. It can mess up the mother board inside the machine and the cost of replacing that is not worth using a magnet on it.

I do have 3 pin holders that are magnetic, but do not put them to the side of the computerized part of my machine when I use them. I set them off to the left. Also, if you use a magnet pin holder then all of your pins and whatever else that's metal in there will also become magnetized. These is easy to see by picking up a pin or safety pin that's been in it and hold it over some of the pins in the holder--some pins will start to pick up by the pin held over it. Same with scissors sitting in a magnetic holder.

That said, I have never had problems using the pins etc. that have been magnetized when sewing.

Leslie

------
Sewing/Embroidery: Baby Lock Ellure Plus * Sewing: Kenmore 385.1764180 * Sewing: Kenmore 385.17124 * Sewing: Vintage-Singer 115 * Serger: Baby Lock Evolve
><>

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Non-computerized machines and magnets question

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Online Class
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Class Details

McCall's 6519

photo
by: ajhewing

Review
Vogue Patterns 8408

photo
by: rmusic1

Review
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

More Info
BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.