SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Encoragement & advice sought ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Encoragement & advice sought
ISO sewists to fit with
Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 7:31 PM

I've just come back from the most recent of several unsuccessful attempt over the past year to connect with other sewists in my area in search of buddy or group of people to do fitting with.

I am deeply disheartened.I am at a loss of what I can try next -- or whether my problem has something to do with me or the type of things I'm trying. My technical sewing skills are growing ever better, but my spatial skills are weak and I can't see the adjustment I need, especially on the back part of me. Right now, I need more help than the occasional posting of a fitting query and photo here on PR.

I have bought and pored over "Fast Fit" and FFRP and applied what I learned to some basic pattern adjustments. I took Sarah Vebelen's fantastic bust adjustment class here on PR. YAY. But after I pin together an adjusted pattern or try on a muslin, I am unable then figure out what more I need to do -- except I know it doesn't fit me quite right.

In hopes of connecting with others who wanted to do fitting, I volunteered several times at a local sewing lounge. No luck -- nearly everyone there was a beginner eager to learn or improve basic skills at using a sewing machines and putting together a garment from a patten.

Next, I went to the local sewing expo and took a bunch of classes on fit. I got lectures on "how to" along with a sales pitch to buy the speakers' patterns or notions. I was disappointed that nothing was hands on -- though I did buy some patterns and notions! But those objects can't tell me what's going on in the back or if I need to adjust the slope of each of my shoulders slightly differently.

I've looked into ASG -- but my local chapters seem all about quilting or sewing the latest fashions, not to fit.

Today, I tried my very first MeetUp -- it's supposed to be a local sewing group. No fitting help there. The organizer doesn't do commercial patterns -- she drafts her own from copious measurements -- and doesn't fit patterns or muslins. The other person at the MeetUp was an absolute beginner who and I invited to join PR .

I need some encouragement and advice on what to do. Have others faced this challenge -- especially those who live alone? How did you solve it?

FaithM

FaithM  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 2/22/09
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 8:17 PM

Make muslins and post photos here on PR. There are lots of members who are happy to share their skills and assist you step by step.

sewdance
sewdance  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Michigan USA
Member since 10/18/04
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 8:36 PM

Have you considered hiring a professional custom clothier to work with you on your fitting issues?

Anne

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to Sewandwrite <<

Date: 3/25/12 9:24 PM

I so understand where your coming from.
I've been looking for a group to join for years in my area. As a matter of fact I just looked up MeetUp for the first time today and sent a message for some additional info to one of its members. I've also gone the ASG route and although most of the ladies were very nice, I just didn't connect with anyone or feel part of them. I even put a message here on PR some time ago for people in S FL and not one person replied. I wish I had the answers you're looking, however I'm in the same boat. Any plans for you to move to S FL? LOL I'm a professional and have no problem at fitting others or myself, just looking to connect with a creative group of ladies.

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 3/25/12 9:32 PM

Sewingsilly, I truly would LOVE to move to S. Fla. If only my work could take me there!

We'd have a blast.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 9:47 PM

Oh YES we would!!
Let me know what kind of fitting problems your having and maybe I can offer some suggestions.

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 9:49 PM

Sending you a PM. I live in VA. Maybe we can get together?

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/25/12 10:13 PM

I can really sympathize. I live with a husband and 2 kids, but sorry, absolutely no fitting help there. And not a single friend who sews, or who is even interested. Getting a good fit has come to be something of an obsession.

So glad to hear that you benefited from Sarah Veblen's Bust Adjustment class. I am starting it on Wednesday. If it goes well, I will immediately sign up for the Bodice Fitting class she is offering in May. I contacted her via the pre-registration board, asking about back fitting issues, since those tend to be the thorniest for me. (And so tough to address without a helper!) She replied that all aspects of the bodice - front, back, neck, sleeves, armscyes, bust, swayback, etc. - will be covered. It's a great chance to upload your photos for her to take a look at.

Just a thought, while you're waiting on your move to Florida.

------
marjoriekh

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 10:28 PM

We can give you loads of encouragement!!! You are making a valiant effort and perhaps it will take time to pay off. You are not alone in your frustrations, although it may feel that way.

Some suggestions-
* When it is offered again, take the next step of Sarah's class- Fun with Fitting Bodices. Like you, I took the Bust Fit class and the Bodice Lessons are a perfect follow up. Sarah will patiently guide you through by closely reviewing your posted photos, diagnosing your issues and offering solutions- often several. It was not uncommon for members to post between 30 and up to 90 pictures. The Class Board had almost 80 pages of questions and answers. We slogged through it together. There were days when we vented in despair. The photos at the end were remarkable- amazing improvement. Not every problem was solved, but in a few weeks we all improved mightlily.

Besides that-
* Even if you can't take the class now, snap photos, on a phone is good enough. Either do it yourself or set up a timer and position the camera for the back photos. Maybe you can borrow a tripod and/or get a friend to snap the camera. I was surprised at what I could learn by looking at the photos. Wrinkles from extra loose folds and shadows from tight pulls were more obvious than in the mirror.

* Do you have a dress form? Even one that doesn't mimic your body very well will help you look at things and think about what's what. You can try pinching out fullness or opening seams to see what happens. It is a pain in the butt, however, keep trying things and then try on the muslin again and again. And be prepared to make many muslins. It's worth it.

* Although you live alone, can you get a friend to be your trainee? Now that I've learned more from Sarah, I'm working on my husband and 21-year old daughter. I show them what I want them to try. They review photos with me and are getting pretty good at observing and commenting. Their pinning can be shakey, but I take off the muslin, smooth pin lines and try on again.

Like you, I haven't found local sewing enthusiasts focused on fit issues . . . yet. I strongly suspect they are out there and it will take time to make it happen. One would think living in San Francisco it would be easier. Here too, there are lots of quilters and new sewer-YAY! There is a local group with a site that seems somewhat like an alternative to PR. I love this site! Being new, am finding my way. Not sure I want to learn an entire new site and plow through it. I am keeping in touch with the SF group to see if they gather for fitting. The group has plans for a Meet Up to visit the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit here. Perhaps it's a way to meet those with my interest?

You might try the PR meetings in New York and in San Francisco, etc. to network. Could be you'd meet someone from your area. Can this site be searched for members near you?

Don't give up! And I hope this helps.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

Date: 3/25/12 11:31 PM

I usually make something up, try it on, and then do a lot of trial and error with pinning in front of a mirror. For the back I usually hold a mirror over my shoulder. If you have a digital camcorder I would suggest setting that up on a tripod in a well-lit room and moving in all directions in front of it, then review it on your computer. I found out that with a regular camera I sometimes stand in awkward poses or the lighting was off and it would highlight wrinkles that otherwise didn't appear or were hardly noticable in real life. When you're moving naturally in front of the camcorder you will be able to see which wrinkles are caused by movement or poses, and which ones are actual poor fit.

I also don't get too carried away with trying to get everything perfect in one garment. I usually pick one or two issues to work on, figure out a solution, and then address a few more issues in the next garment. In the meantime I end up with a lot of halfway decent clothes that aren't perfect but fit a whole lot better than anything I could buy.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Encoragement & advice sought

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2217

photo
by: JillRN1995

Review
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 75mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 75mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 2068

photo
by: runmyworld

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.